Noise on E! and other SDs...

dtsfanohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I assume this is a known issue ?? but I see noise on E!, CNN and other SDs..especially on the reds... My stb is set at 1080i.Others see this? Is this being looked at ? Thanks

Yeah, I'vseen it too on Spike and Comedy. I agree that it is mostly in the reds.

Yes, Im seeing the same. Also the picture is not as sharp as DTV. I have both at the present time. All SD is better on DTV..(much sharper).

Typical C-band LNB artifacts from a faulty/dying LNB. Could also be noise from analog transport on their end.

Me 2

I've noticed this since day 1. High Luma colors break up on certain channels. (I've noticed it on E! and Comedy Central.)

pOiNTBLaNK said:
This has been a known issue. Encoder upgrades are currently being processed.

The noise we are speaking of is analog in nature. I don't know how the hell an encoder upgrade will fix that.

Any cable system that has this type of noise is experiencing an issue with the LNB on their dish that receives their feeds. The digital encoding is as clean as a whistle. You can't polish a turd (dirty analog feed), however.

This has been addressed before. It has nothing to do with a faulty LNB. If it was that simple it would've been replaced a long time ago. The problems that you are seeing are due to the current encoder not working properely. Once new encoder comes into play as well as the MPEG4 & WM9 upgrades those problems will be long gone.

pOiNTBLaNK said:
This has been a known issue. Encoder upgrades are currently being processed.
Oh brother! The old "encoder" excuse again-I think Rome was built in a shorter amount of time-and I don't mean Jim either-he he he

pOiNTBLaNK said:
This has been addressed before. It has nothing to do with a faulty LNB. If it was that simple it would've been replaced a long time ago. The problems that you are seeing are due to the current encoder not working properely. Once new encoder comes into play as well as the MPEG4 & WM9 upgrades those problems will be long gone.

Listen guy:

No encoder can inject "sparkles" like that. Anyone who knows analog video transport (not you) knows that the typical cause of that is a faulty C-band LNB at the downlink. This noise is common on UNENCODED sources as well. Now, Mr. Wizard, is there an invisible encoder in play? The encoder takes the source material and compresses/encodes. It doesn't have the capability to randomly add sparkles that are conveniently reminiscent of faulty C-band equipment.

Further, if this is an issue with all the encoders, why aren't these artifacts on every SD channel? Why aren't any of the HD channels affected? I'll tell you why: all the HD's and some of the SD's are received digitally, not via C-band analog.

Some folks don't take the time to read any of the posts. I suppose Pointblank is a bot designed to pop-up and say "encoder issues, Microsoft's WM9 will cancel-out a faulty c-band LNB and analog noise".

What about the sharpness issue? Take a look at letters on the SD channels , maybe the end credits of a movie. There is a ringing of some sort , almost out of focus. Even overcompressed DTV looks better.

I have had this since VOOm was installed a month ago on ABC family and Nickelodeon mostly.

eddiew said:
What about the sharpness issue? Take a look at letters on the SD channels , maybe the end credits of a movie. There is a ringing of some sort , almost out of focus. Even overcompressed DTV looks better.
I've never had D* but I can tell you that Voom SD is far better than E*. The letters are much sharper and though some ringing is noticeable on some channels, it's not true for all channels, at least with my display.

DarrellP said:
I've never had D* but I can tell you that Voom SD is far better than E*. The letters are much sharper and though some ringing is noticeable on some channels, it's not true for all channels, at least with my display.

I've had success with Composite and S-Video. With component, the colors seemed to "ring" and have no real boundaries. It was like a psychedelic picture show (okay, not that bad).

GadgetRick, what channels are you comparing? I see just the opposite. Voom much worse than DTV. Definitely softer on Voom.

I had the installer back today and he installed the VoOm dish/LNB rather than use the DirecTV dish/LNBs .... and my noise is essentially non-existent now on the SDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts