Non-game sports programming blackouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdemuynck

Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Did the rules for sports programming blackouts change over the past year? I currently subscribe to the DTV RSN sports channel package, and MLB extra innings. I follow the Tigers and I live 1000 miles away from Detroit. So far I haven't had any games that were blacked out for me, but all other Tigers programming is blacked out for me. If I watch the game on channel 663 (FSND) the pre and post game shows are blacked out, and all episodes of Detroit Tigers Weekly are blacked out. What is the point of blacking out these shows, but not blacking out the game itself? I thought that if you subscribed to the RSN sports channel package you could see pre and post game shows as well as other regional sports programming. I know in years past this was the case. Thank you for any info you can provide on this subject.

I thought that if you subscribed to the RSN sports channel package you could see pre and post game shows as well as other regional sports programming.
you're right you should be able to. I know YES has a bunch of exceptions and most "classics" on the RSN's are blacked out but I know I can see the per & post games here in MN...have just the sports pack (no MLB EI)

Iceberg,

Thank you for confirming that this blackout behavior isn't normal. I'll contact DTV customer service to see if they can determine why the blackouts are happening.

Similar question for Dish Network. I tried to watch Cardinals post-game show the other night and was blacked out. I was never blacked out in the past. I am blacked out of their ball games though.

Similar question for Dish Network. I tried to watch Cardinals post-game show the other night and was blacked out. I was never blacked out in the past. I am blacked out of their ball games though.

you might want to ask that in the Dish area as both providers have different maps and techniques for blackouts and coverage areas. As example Dish usually does a hard 3 hour blackout window for baseball games whereas Directv is more "watching" the feed so if the game runs long you may still be blacked out

Iceberg,

Thank you for confirming that this blackout behavior isn't normal. I'll contact DTV customer service to see if they can determine why the blackouts are happening.

interesting
Just tuned to RSRM (formerly FSN Rocky Mtn) for Rockies postgame and says "channel not purchased 721"...no other games have a postgame to check right now

OK just checked at 6:50 CDT for stuff blacked out

These 3 are blacked out
696 csnba
687 RNW (formerly FSN NW) had soccer in the guide
686 fsn az had Pat Tillman legacy in guide

yet these werent blacked out
681 alt soccer (different game than above)
665 csnch blackhawks pregame

edit: CSNBA & FSN AZ the MLB game was still going so that why they were blacked out

This season many teams are blacking out the pre and postgame shows for anyone not in the team's local area, it is at the discretion of the team.

I wonder if MLB is trying to get people to watch the MLB Network for highlights or go to MLB.com more?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)