Noob with diseqc 1.1 8x1 switch with Viewsat Extreme (diseqc 1.2 only)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm a newbie to FTA but I've been wanting to get into FTA for a while. I finally jumped in a week ago by getting a T90, five linear LNBs, a 8x1 diseqc 1.1 switch, Viewsat Extreme, and a Birdog v3. I'm aimed at 83, 87, 93, 97, and 123.

Got the dish all lined up pretty quick with the Birdog. Hooked up the LNBs to the 8x1 switch and the switch to the Viewsat. I went under the motor control to find the ports on the switch as described in other posts here on satguys. But all I get is an S and Q bouncing between 0% and 100% and the receiver never locks on a signal.

I also read somewhere that a 1.1 switch will respond as a 1.0 switch for the first four ports but the Viewsat and Birdog still don't see anything through the switch.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I might be doing incorrectly or what to double check?

The first 4 ports will act like a regular diseqc switch. I have a 8x1 diseqc and it works just fine for all my receivers like that

I had some issues on my Pansat 1500 and Fortec setting up the 8x1 via the motor. I ended up giving up.

For more than 4 LNB's you could do a couple options
-one diseqc and a 22k. Put the 22k on one input of the diseqc
-for more than 5 LNB's get a ecoda 22k switch which passes diseqc commands and then use 2 4x1 diseqc switches. That is how I use 8 LNB's on my Coolsat 8000 :)

Have you tried each LNB straight into the receiver bypassing any switches to check signal quality on each one (and do a blind scan on each)?

After you are sure you are getting signal quality on all of them, then use the switch and set them up as a standard diseqc switch (port 1, 2, 3, 4). Once that is done, turn off the diseqc port numbers on all LNBs and attempt to find them with the motor control using a unique transponder on each one. Extreme patience is required! With my Pansat, I would hit the move (either east or west) for about a second, wait a few seconds for the receiver to respond, and then continue. Sometimes it did take quite a while to finally lock it in (other times it only took a few minutes).

Sometimes if it seemed to take too long, I would exit back out and start again going the opposite direction with the motor control.

Good luck, it is worth it once you get it setup (as my signature shows with 16 LNBs on my switch).

There are two different types of 8X1 diseqc switches available;

First type uses a combination of uncomitted and committed switch diseqc commands, or 1.2 USAL commands.

Second type uses uncommitted commands only.

Sometimes a switch may mistake a uncommited command for a committed command or vice versa if only the switch bit is different (38 or 39);

Committed lnb1 raw command E0 10 38 F0
Committed lnb2 raw command E0 10 38 F4
Committed lnb3 raw command E0 10 38 F8
Committed lnb4 raw command E0 10 38 FC
Uncommitted CMD 0 raw command E0 10 39 F0
Uncommitted CMD 1 raw command E0 10 39 F1
Uncommitted CMD 2 raw command E0 10 39 F2
Uncommitted CMD 3 raw command E0 10 39 F3
Uncommitted CMD 4 raw command E0 10 39 F4
Uncommitted CMD 5 raw command E0 10 39 F5
Uncommitted CMD 6 raw command E0 10 39 F6
Uncommitted CMD 7 raw command E0 10 39 F7
Uncommitted CMD 8 raw command E0 10 39 F8
Uncommitted CMD 9 raw command E0 10 39 F9
Uncommitted CMD A raw command E0 10 39 FA
Uncommitted CMD B raw command E0 10 39 FB
Uncommitted CMD C raw command E0 10 39 FC
Uncommitted CMD D raw command E0 10 39 FD
Uncommitted CMD E raw command E0 10 39 FE
Uncommitted CMD F raw command E0 10 39 FF

E0 is the frame bite, first transmission.

10 is the address bite, any switcher.

38 is Committed switch command "Write to port group 0"
39 is uncommitted switch command "Write to port group 1"

There are two different types of 8X1 diseqc switches available;

First type uses a combination of uncomitted and committed switch diseqc commands, or 1.2 USAL commands.

Second type uses uncommitted commands only.

Good point. Guess the first thing we should ask the original poster is: what is the make and model number of the 8 x 1 switch?

The switch I'm using is a Digiwave DGS-SW8X1 DiSEqC 1.1 "Mulitprotocol programmable" switch. Attached is a photo.

Attachments

• 0eab_2.JPG
    0eab_2.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 543
Would that mean that I would set up this switch as a motor in my Viewsat, and keep the DiSEqC port set to none?

This switch will act as different positions on a motor;
EMP Centauri 8 x 1 (GOTO nn switch)
or as a combination of committed and uncommitted (cascaded).

The Digiwave DGS-SW8X1 DiSEqC 1.1 is ONLY uncommitted ports. If your receiver does not have uncommitted LNB (Ports) setting, then you can not use the Digiwave switch.

The first 4 ports will act like a regular diseqc switch. I have a 8x1 diseqc and it works just fine for all my receivers like that

I had some issues on my Pansat 1500 and Fortec setting up the 8x1 via the motor. I ended up giving up.

For more than 4 LNB's you could do a couple options
-one diseqc and a 22k. Put the 22k on one input of the diseqc
-for more than 5 LNB's get a ecoda 22k switch which passes diseqc commands and then use 2 4x1 diseqc switches. That is how I use 8 LNB's on my Coolsat 8000 :)

Seems too easy to get a 22k and another 4x1 switch to run up to 8 LNBs. I am going to want to put more than 5 LNBs on this, the dish being being a T90. If I ended up wanting more than 8 LNBs what are my options with a receiver that does only diseqc 1.0 and 1.2?

You specified an ecoda 22k for more than five lnbs. Must it be an ecoda 22k or will any manufacturer's 22k switch work?

I have a 4x1 switch now that came with my Viewsat. Would it be possible to add four 22k switches after that switch, that each of the outputs of the 4x1 has a 22k on it, making up to 8 sats?

Last edited:
You specified an ecoda 22k for more than five lnbs. Must it be an ecoda 22k or will any manufacturer's 22k switch work?

I have a 4x1 switch now that came with my Viewsat. Would it be possible to add four 22k switches after that switch, that each of the outputs of the 4x1 has a 22k on it, making up to 8 sats?

Yes it will work if you use ONLY standard LNBs it won't work with universal LNBs (the universals need 22khz for internal switching). If you put a 22khz switch in front of the 4X1 switch then you need the ecoda - because it will pass the diseqc commands on to the 4X1 switch, where other switches will not. You can put any 22khz switch after your 4X1 but you will need four 22khz switches to do the job.
Bob

Seems too easy to get a 22k and another 4x1 switch to run up to 8 LNBs. I am going to want to put more than 5 LNBs on this, the dish being being a T90.
look at my signature...I have a T90 with a fair amount of LNB's on it ;)

If I ended up wanting more than 8 LNBs what are my options with a receiver that does only diseqc 1.0 and 1.2?
a committed/noncommitted switch as jerryt noted

depends on the setup...see below

yes you could as long as the LNB's are standard.

The Ecoda passes diseqc commands so all you need is one ecoda and 2 4x1 diseqcs for 8 LNB's (instead of a 4x1 and 4 22k switches). Only the ecoda will allow you to pass diseqc commands...the rest wont work if the diseqc is after the 22k

cool :)

I have a Digiwave 8x1 and it works fine on my Visionsat that can support Diseqc 1.1 but no other box

Or you can put a Disqc 4X1 in front of it (and 3 more EMP Centauri 8x1s) and get 32 channels.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.