Norton's shutdown my SatGuys connection due to possible "attack"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Twice this am my Norton's Internet Security shut down my connection to SatGuys because of a supposed attack to once of my ports. Something similar happened yesterday also.

It's possibly connected with this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=71298
which is the one for July 14th Uplinks

This is the information from my Symantec logs:

Attempted Intrusion "ICC Profile TagData Overflow" against your machine was detected and blocked.
Intruder: www.satelliteguys.us(65.99.220.89)(http(80)).
Risk Level: High.
Protocol: TCP.
Attacked IP: localhost.
Attacked Port: 1326.

You can get detailed information about this attack at Symantec Security Response.
Details: Intrusion detected and blocked. All communication with www.satelliteguys.us(65.99.220.89) will be blocked for 30 minutes.

You can get detailed information about this attack at Symantec Security Response.

same thing happened to me months ago. i can't remember what the intrusion was labled as. i thought it had something to due with the ads.

when i opened he thread you mention, i notice goaliebobs game card taking a while to load.

This has happened in the past and was and is a problem with Norton. Reboot your machine and try again and you will notice no issues.

I gave up on Norton and McAfee last year. Both tend to hog the cpu and are a pain to configure their firewalls.

I've had excellent results using Trend Micro PCCilin Internet Security for my virus scan/firewall/anti-spam needs.

Scott

I was the one with the issues with Nortons and here some time ago. Eventually I have dropped nortons all together and now use trend micro. Also as Claude mentioned Nortons was a pain for internal networking.

Thanks Guys. Sorry for the dramatics but I'd never experienced this kind of thing and wanted to get a warning out just in case.

It's really weird because this is the only site it's happening to me on. Also, maybe related is this site is now way slower than the others too. (I rebooted twice by the way)

I run NIS 2005 with both IE v6.0.2900.2180 and Firefox v1.5.0.4 with no site issues, memory or CPU hogging. Issues tend to be very PC specific; config and/or setup on either the NIS or the PC itself.

I had this problem with Norton.

Now I use Trend. No problems at all with Sat Guys blockage.

ScottChez said:
I had this problem with Norton.

Now I use Trend. No problems at all with Sat Guys blockage.

This was the first time I've ever seen this. Haven't had any other "attacks" before or since.

Scott

I think norton is a piece of junk. It completlely destroyed 2 computers that I know of, I use AVG and have had zero problems at all.

even though it is FREE, it REALLY is better than norton.

The Stop Norton campaign, because america deserves better...

Ok, I know I'm not the sharpest computer knife in the drawer but why is it just that one thread tripping the NIS "port attack" flag and why are these problems that are supposedly due to my PC only causing a problem with SatGuys and not any of the other sites I visit?

As for NIS, I've been using that for a while now with no problems - here or anywhere else. I still don't have problems anywhere else.

ok, ok...........if I promise not to rant for a while, will you guys let me back in to play? bows.gif

Attachments

• bow.gif
    bow.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 260
I am with you Walt, the vast majority of users have no issues with Norton; but it evokes the same chatter as Sony, Microsoft, and other haters for any number of reasons. I have used them since the early 90's and tried others with horrid results. Most times it has less to do with the actual product and more because of the name or costs. If you like it and it works well then you are fine; just have to find out what exactly is tripping you. I also visited the link you posted, it popped right up with no wait time and gave no errors.

Do you have all the latest Service Packs/Updates/Patches for your OS?

Use IE to check these pages.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-036.mspx - result based on your specific error

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ - Windows Update

Last edited:
charper1 said:
I am with you Walt, the vast majority of users have no issues with Norton; but it evokes the same chatter as Sony, Microsoft, and other haters for any number of reasons. I have used them since the early 90's and tried others with horrid results. Most times it has less to do with the actual product and more because of the name or costs. If you like it and it works well then you are fine; just have to find out what exactly is tripping you. I also visited the link you posted, it popped right up with no wait time and gave no errors.

Do you have all the latest Service Packs/Updates/Patches for your OS?

Use IE to check these pages.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-036.mspx - result based on your specific error

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ - Windows Update

I appreciate your help Charper. I just popped in for a second and have to be at a V.A. appointment in 45 minutes. I should be back in a few hours.

I have Win XP Pro with SP-2, Use OE 6 and have NIS '06 which came with Norton's Protection Center and "Go Back".

Thanks again.
Walt

Walt,

I experienced the same problem on Friday and it only occured when I was looking at the uplink report thread by GoalieBob. There must be a flaw in the latest update from Norton. I ended up turning off my firewall so I could look at that thread. If it happens again I will probably dump Norton and go with something else.

Not that I am a Norton hater, but I did indeed end up dumping Norton IS 2005 after repeated problems, some of which were similar to Walt's. I got the Avast! free antivirus and am just relying on the Windows firewall. along with Microsoft Antispyware. So far I havent' regretted it.

Dishpointer said:
Walt,

I experienced the same problem on Friday and it only occured when I was looking at the uplink report thread by GoalieBob. There must be a flaw in the latest update from Norton. I ended up turning off my firewall so I could look at that thread. If it happens again I will probably dump Norton and go with something else.

I'm sorry you had the problem too but I am so glad that someone else had the same problem - with the same thread.

Yes, that's the exact the thread I was talking about. Now why are we so sure the flaw is Norton's? Is it possible there's something in that thread that combined with the recent server upgrade, could be causing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)