Not a good start

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Was watching Michael Mcdonald on Rave and lost signal. Funny thing though the sound stayed on. Tried to change channel and go back to it then I lost everythiing. First time I sat down with my wife to watch something. Couldn't of happened at a worse time. Also guide pops up once in a while even though I didnt even have remote in hand.

Go to System Settings and select #2 (Screen Saver), select Never Timeout, select save changes and return. This will prevent the guide from popping up on you :)

About the signal lost, that's no good. Check your signal strength. Are you having a heavy rain storm.

No signal this morning either

Just got home from work and checdked to see if I had signal. Nothing. It isn't even raining here, it is cloudy but if it is that picky I am in trouble. When I had Dishnetwork I only lost signal in a extremely bad thunderstorm. What kind of signal strength is anyone getting? I live in CT so anyone near me might be able to give me an idea what they are getting. Going to bed for awhile, too agravated to play with this now. Figures I brought cable box back yesterday.

Sean,concert was good what I saw of it. His voice hasn't changed in all these years. Picture was awesome. Am going to try to do factory reset when I get up to see if they added WEDWDT. Lost my ota signal also but that could be from the weather. Putting up big antenna with rotor this afternoon to stabilize ota.

Give us an update. Check your cable connections. Maybe your dish got out of alignment. The signal drop should not happen. Read my suggestion regarding turning off the screen saver.

Sean, just got up. I still have no signal. Why would it go off in middle of show like that? Connectioms seem ok. Satellite signal quality says 25. OIff air says 0. I think satellite was 50 when he installed it. Should I try factory reset or call CS for help?

Ok found signal strength bar. Am going to try to move dish when my son gets here. Should I just try sidie to side or do I have to change the height also. Why would I lose my ota signals if Dish isn't lined up?

I believe the receiver needs a satellite signal to work. This includes OTA. Yes height is important as well.

Sean Mota said:
I believe the receiver needs a satellite signal to work. This includes OTA. Yes height is important as well.
OK played with dish a little, have a heartbeat, very light :) Waiting for son to come as I am getting too old to keep running up and down ladder. Can't believe installer didnt peak signal. If I was someone who din't have a clue about this stuff I probobly would have told them to come take it out, that cable was right and you can't watch satellite unless it is a beatiful day.

pmalve said:
OK played with dish a little, have a heartbeat, very light :) Waiting for son to come as I am getting too old to keep running up and down ladder. Can't believe installer didnt peak signal. If I was someone who din't have a clue about this stuff I probobly would have told them to come take it out, that cable was right and you can't watch satellite unless it is a beatiful day.

Sean, do you know height setting for my zip. 06751 thanks

OK I got it. I got signal strength back to 50. Is that about average for what people are getting. Installers were idiots.

pmalve said:
Sean, do you know height setting for my zip. 06751 thanks

Download the attachment and put your information. Choose 61.5 and it will give you the angle of elevation.

Attachments

• zip500.zip
    126.3 KB · Views: 197
pmalve said:
OK I got it. I got signal strength back to 50. Is that about average for what people are getting. Installers were idiots.

yeah that sounds about right. My signal has been as high as 56, and as low as 50. As long as you are around 50 you should be good to go! Good job on the install by the way! I might call you next time I need my dish realigned instead of Installs Inc.! :haha

pmalve said:

What was wrong? Can you tell us what you found out?

Persistant Guide

Sean Mota said:
Go to System Settings and select #2 (Screen Saver), select Never Timeout, select save changes and return. This will prevent the guide from popping up on you :)

About the signal lost, that's no good. Check your signal strength. Are you having a heavy rain storm.

Is that how I get rid of that pesky guide behavior?
Thank you for the info.

As far as my signal strength goes, I am hovering around 35. Is this sufficient? I think the installer did a quick peaking of the signal using a hand-held local signal meter attached to the dish LNB.

Thank you!

Kevin

kschorz said:
Is that how I get rid of that pesky guide behavior?
Thank you for the info.

As far as my signal strength goes, I am hovering around 35. Is this sufficient? I think the installer did a quick peaking of the signal using a hand-held local signal meter attached to the dish LNB.

Thank you!

Kevin

Yes. How is your signal does it pixelate a lot or drops a lot?

I cant believe it. spent all day putting up antenna. Turned satellite on and signal down to 30. Have voice and no picture. Just put ladder away. Taking it back out.

Spent the weekend on the roof. I peaked the dish during one of our downpours Saturday. Seems stable now. Have ota update,will post that in proper thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts