Not all dishes can take regular LNB's for 97W and 101W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
For a few years I was happy with 5 (now only 4) FTA programs on 101W.A few weeks ago I started experimenting with receiving also 160 programs from 97W. For temporary support of LNB I used rectangular piece of plastic, which is very transparent for satellite waves. Luckily, this kind of plastic lowered the S (strength of signal) only by 1 or 2, despite its thickness of 3/8" (about 9 - 10 mm) ; other, thinner plastics lowered S by 8 to 10. I tried 4 dishes : SeeSat 33", Q-sat 40" and Multistar with its twin Digiwave (both are identical, 36"). Using a sharpie marker I marked positions of LNB with maximum signal strength for both satellites. Surprisingly, the biggest dish, Q-sat, could not accept 2 LNB's - its focal length is too small. But the Multistar and its twin Digiwave fit the job - the LNB's "overlap" just a bit. I did some grinding of the LNB's edges on a sandpaper and glued them together with contact cement, and now I can watch many programs from both satellites. IMG_3798.jpgIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0118.JPGIMG_0009.jpg

Very ingenious. (adjective 1. characterized by cleverness or originality of invention or construction. 2. cleverly inventive or resourceful.)

I do stuff like this all the time just to see what I can make work:D

I have seen lnbs removed from their plastic cases to make them easier to mount close.
This is good idea. Maybe it will be enough just to cut a quarter inch of each case of LNB with a bandsaw, just this parts where they need be closer.This way I could use them on Q-sat dishes. Their median focal length is only 22", despite rather big size (40" x 35")

I'm sure you are aware that one of the Sponsors (Glorystar) sells a specially made bracket and two small LNB's (SLR1) that are designed for this very purpose? But there's no experimental excitement with that choice!

I'm sure you are aware that one of the Sponsors (Glorystar) sells a specially made bracket and two small LNB's (SLR1) that are designed for this very purpose? But there's no experimental excitement with that choice!
Well, in fact I did not know it, I just looked it up after your suggestion, and that is the proper way to do a setup, using small ones, without cutting regular LNB's. I see that you use two sets for receiving 97/101 : one on 30" dish, the other on 36 dish. Probably the spacing between LNB's is different for each dish, am I right?

I have seen lnbs removed from their plastic cases to make them easier to mount close.
I used that trick in the circular lnb days with a dish lnb that is normally D mount,remove from plastic fatten up the throat and use it as 40mm throat mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)