Not by Yourself

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
This is just a warning to all from the past exprenicenes. DO NOT ATEMPT TO TAKE DOWN DISHES ANY LARGER THEN 6 FOOT IN DIAMETER.

A 10 foot dish with the mount and motor is well over 250 pounds.
Taking one down will require at least 4 strong men to lift it off the pole.
Once the dish is apart it will take 2 people to move or raise the reflector.
Most mounts will also take 2 people.

I tried to tip the reflector over and got underneath it and the whole reflector fell over me. I was trapped underneath it for 10 minutes. I looked like a turtle :D

Anyway If you want to reuse the pole it took a john deere front end loader to lift it out.

Im not trying to rant. I just dont want someone to get themselves hurt.

I tried to get my 7.5 mesh off the pole myself. I couldn't do it. So someone else got on the side and I said just throw it on the ground. :D

This is just a warning to all from the past exprenicenes. DO NOT ATEMPT TO TAKE DOWN DISHES ANY LARGER THEN 6 FOOT IN DIAMETER.

A 10 foot dish with the mount and motor is well over 250 pounds.
Taking one down will require at least 4 strong men to lift it off the pole.
Once the dish is apart it will take 2 people to move or raise the reflector.
Most mounts will also take 2 people.

I tried to tip the reflector over and got underneath it and the whole reflector fell over me. I was trapped underneath it for 10 minutes. I looked like a turtle :D

Anyway If you want to reuse the pole it took a john deere front end loader to lift it out.

Im not trying to rant. I just dont want someone to get themselves hurt.
my brother and I have removed 2 8' and 2 10' footers,they are heavy but we are still young,I get at the mount and he balances the dish and I lift it off the pole,I workout 4 days a week so I guess this helps in dish hunting,we put the whole thing on trailer and strap it down.For the pole we dig around it till it is loose then we hook a chain to it then drag with the truck,we jack hammer the cement and or sledge hammer it off then put the cement in the hole.these dishes are everwhere aroung here,when I get back from poland we are going for more,I am still looking for the c/ku lnb but nothing amazing yet.Have any of you ever seen a square c band dish,I know where one is and I will take some pictures and post when I get home.

I took down my 10' mesh dish and put it back up with NO help.
I set the pole, put the polar mount on the pole, then used an old park bench to sit the dish on and balance it with a 2x4. I then lifted it up to the mount and still had it on the park bench this time sitting on a terra cotta flower pot-LOL Ran behind and got one bolt in the mount to the dish!!! Home free now LOL.

wow, you guys serious???

I installed my 7.5 mesh by myself.. zero issues.. could easily lift it back off and I am far from in shape...
you guys don't know what heavy is!! .....took six of us back in the day to get the 600lbs Cband Fiberglass dish mounted!!

I just took down and disassembled my new 10' dish and then reassembled at my house. It is mesh, but I also put up my old 7.5' spun aluminum by myself. There's no safety issue as long as you work carefully and think through what you're doing first. The main thing to working by yourself is to take the dish apart and not try to get it all at once. You're probably going to want to replace most of the hardware anyway, so I don't see this as a big issue. The mount is the heaviest piece, and it probably weighs around 70 pounds.

Getting a dish on the mount by yourself can be a challenge, but I've found if you flip the mount over backwards (think giant birdbath) the dish can be handled. Just be sure you lock the mount in position with a board or something because it's going to move otherwise. Like I mentioned earlier, the dish itself doesn't weight that much it's just very awkward because of its size.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you're not mechanically inclined get some help. If you screw up, you can hurt yourself or more importantly your new dish.

I've done my 7.5ft dish myself several times without disassembling. I did have help with a 10 footer because it was muddy, and I didn't want to disassemble it. Otherwise, disassembling and moving a 10 or 12 foot mesh dish is easily a 1 man job... never hurts to have a helping hand though!

So far I've taken down both 7 and 10 footers by myself ( age 62 )with no problems, I take the dish off the mount and then take the mount off, this takes about 30 minutes this way. And so far this has worked on the five dishes that I have gotten. Then I put the dish in the back of my Toyota pickup bed and head home, now the ten footers do get more looks when on the highway.

I noticed when carrying my 10' mesh across the lawn how much wind that mesh catches.
Wind was slightly blowing probably 10-12 mph, and it would amost turn me over.

I had a 12' fiberglass channel master dish. That thing felt like it was made of lead.
It was on a 6" diameter pipe (I am sure it needed it or bigger).
That was the heaviest dish I have ever tried to handle. Me and my cousin (He's big and strong) could barely handle the thing.

I noticed when carrying my 10' mesh across the lawn how much wind that mesh catches.
Wind was slightly blowing probably 10-12 mph, and it would amost turn me over.

When we took down my 6' solid Prodelin dish from a commercial building last month, it was a really windy day. Talk about a dish that can catch the wind...

DO NOT ATEMPT TO TAKE DOWN DISHES ANY LARGER THEN 6 FOOT IN DIAMETER.
This suggestion works the other way too. Don't attempt to put one together without help either. I found out the hard way, as most idiots do....? In my case I was putting up a new Unimesh dish by my lonesome and wasn't doing to bad either, until I lost my footing and trying to catch myself (and the assembled reflector), one of the mesh panels partially popped out where my hand/arm went through it. You can still see the wrinkled mesh where my hand/arm once was. It works fine, but I can't help but wonder how much better it might would be without the wrinkle in it. That wrinkle is evident in about a 9"x3' area of that mesh panel. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it by there self.

hey if anyone is interested. im kknow where there is at least 12 foot paraclipse pm if interested

Have any of you ever seen a square c band dish,I know where one is and I will take some pictures and post when I get home.
It could be an Excalibur...they made a square prime focus dish. Pico made a rectangular C band offset dish. I have 2 Prodelin 1 meter commercial dishes that are rectangular.

Attachments

• IMG_2686s.jpg
    IMG_2686s.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 138
no no no! It is circular! a parclipse is like a big ocatgon instead of a round rim. Also there is a few small wrinkles and dents in my dish will this hurt my signal much?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts