Not Happy with Dish HD

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Well I had a 921 installed today and I can say two things. Voom does NOT look as good on Dish as it did on Voom and Dish HD all in all is NOT better then my Comcast HD.

But I'll take what I can get. At least I can record the voom channels on a DVR, something Voom never accomplished.

brian

philhu said:
Have you looked at the Dish HDTV demo channel?

I watch a Mirage-LV aquarium for 45 minutes tonight.

Stunning!
Yes and it looks much better, I assume that's by design? Less Compression?

I have to agree with Darrell, I think the channels look stunning on Dish. I am glad I had the second dish installed.

dfergie said:
Go into your settings and make sure your 921 is outputting 1080i and not 420p...

Yes, my new 811 I installed yesterday was factory pre-set to 480p. After I changed it to 1080i, the picture improved. I have not tried 720p on my DLP yet.

jsb_hburg said:
Yes, my new 811 I installed yesterday was factory pre-set to 480p. After I changed it to 1080i, the picture improved. I have not tried 720p on my DLP yet.

I would set the receiver to out to the native resolution of your TV set.

I disagree with going native. I leave my stb at 1080i and let my pj downrez it, otherwise, you are letting the stb do the downrez and I get a better image by leaving it at 1080i. Try it both ways with your system and see which you prefer.

Wouldn't that create a problem with 4:3 material being stretched to fit the 16:9 display as many displays change aspect ratio to full once they receive a 1080i signal?

brian,

Did you get a chance to check the output resolution to see if that was the problem?? If so, what were your findings?

bkushner said:
Well I had a 921 installed today and I can say two things. Voom does NOT look as good on Dish as it did on Voom and Dish HD all in all is NOT better then my Comcast HD.

But I'll take what I can get. At least I can record the voom channels on a DVR, something Voom never accomplished.

brian
I just returned by 921 to Costco which I got for $469 because Dish told me it would no longer work after August. Did you get yours from Dish? At least it would not work for the HD Pack and the extra Voom channels unless I got the new 411 mpeg 4 receiver.

bkushner said:

brian
But I did think the PQ aulity was fantastic on Dish. I wonder if acted to quickly on returning my 921 to Costco. I also have two Tivos and could not get used to the rudementary interface. It is a very primative DVR.

bkushner said:

brian
So is your 921 as loud as mine? My 921 sound like a PC even when it is turned off.

DarrellP said:
I disagree with going native. I leave my stb at 1080i and let my pj downrez it, otherwise, you are letting the stb do the downrez and I get a better image by leaving it at 1080i. Try it both ways with your system and see which you prefer.

Same thing here....for my Samsung DLP, the 942 outputs in 1080i and the set handles it at 720p.

The 6 channels that are 1440 look ok to me. I can see the blurryness from time to time, but it looks pretty good overall.

MPEG4 arriving

Did any one catch a few posts back (post #13 in this thread), Dish told him his 921 would NOT work after August for VOOM? I hope Dish plans to have those 411's out soon, and I wonder about the 942's and all of the 811's being bought on fleabay...

Mitch

P.S. This is why I think leasing the STB for $5/month is even a better idea now, at least until the 411's with MPEG4 are out...

JimP said:
Wouldn't that create a problem with 4:3 material being stretched to fit the 16:9 display as many displays change aspect ratio to full once they receive a 1080i signal?
Jim, the Dish stb's fill in the sides of 4:3 material with a black bar so your display will receive a 4:3 image letterboxed in a 16:9 frame so there is no stretching.