Not just trying to get something for nothing but DISH flat out lied!

allofthepeople

Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
During the summer of 2009 I decided to change from cable because of the very poor customer service and started researching changing to satellite. I was leaning toward another company when I received a sales solicitation call from Dish Network. I'm not sure wether it was corporate or the local reseller. I was interested in an HD DVR for my main room and was informed of a product called the ViP922 SlingLoaded DVR. I work in sports and entertainment industry and this product sounded perfect for both personal and business use. I agreed to order the product and set up the installation. Then much to my surprise the installer informed me the 922 is not even released yet and I would have to settle for the 722 model. I immediately called to cancel. I was assured that if I continue the installation and sign a contract I would be able to trade out the current 722 for the 922 at "no additional cost". I agreed and allowed the installation to continue. Then before installation was complete I discovered another false claim this time about the 722 and called Dish Network back. The problem was resolved and I was once again assured I would receive an upgrade to the 922 with no problem and to check back in October. On October 8th I called back into Dish Network to find out if the box was released. I was told another estimated released date and became frustrated and was transfered to another agent. I was told to keep checking back every month or so and once again assured "customer was told he would receive 922 at no additional cost". I have since called sporadically and each time informed the agent of my situation only to be assured I will have it soon to keep checking. Finally the product I was sold and continually assured I would receive at no cost, the product I was promised in order to continue the installation, has been released. I call to have the exchange set up and am informed for the first time during this 9 month process that I can upgrade but at a charge of $400. Now I am being told they can not find any documentation in my account I would receive it at "no additional cost". Then I am told they found it but that the notation means something else and then I was given a few different excuses including "well maybe the agent was just simply repeating what you were saying". Now the story has changed to "well maybe you were told that, but we can not waive the fee regardless". This is unacceptable and illegal, this is bait & switch and false advertisement. Even though I was told I would receive the upgrade at "no additional cost" two different times in order to talk me into continuing the installation and confirmed later by an additional agent and never contradicted by multiple agent until the release I am now told "we will not be able to help you". I am not simply trying to get something for free, first off I would just like the product I was promised almost a year ago, secondly I would simply like Dish Network to obey the terms they agreed to before I continued the installation. It is not right that I have to hold up my end of the contract but they can disregard a documented agreement simply because "I shouldn't have been told that".

You might try ceo@echostar.com and see if they can do anything for you, they might be able to get the cost down to at least $200 what a new sub would pay for the receiver upgrade.

If you go through the new account thing on the dishnetwork web page you can see that it is a $200 upgrade for new subscribers.

If that is the way it happened (and I see no reason you wouldnt be truthful), I would probably be upset as well.

Hope it works out for you

I feel sorry for the OP and he can always try to go the CEO (customer resolution) route. However, new customers need to get all these promises, document their conversations, ask CSRs to place notes in their account, and call back to confirm these notes have been property entered.

I don't blame you for being upset. I'd try sending a firm but polite email to ceo at echostar dot com (I spelled it out to stop spam) explaining the situation. Best of luck!

Ed

Doesn't stop spam

ceo at echostar dot com (I spelled it out to stop spam)

I've seen this statement over & over on this site. It does nothing to stop spam to the email address. You think spammers aren't smart enough just to type it out once then attach it to a spam bot? Get real if they want to spam they will and it has been posted so many times it makes no difference anyway. Also I would lay odds that E* has filters on their email anyway. :)

Sorry for the problems your having. Being a Dish installer I see this situation way too often. It's sad that when you get a cold call from who I am assuming was a retailer in your area, they promise you the world to get you to commit and all they really care about is getting that commission from Dish for another subcriber. Hopefully it'll work out for you and they will drop the upgrade fee to $200. As far as getting them to waive the entire fee, it isn't going to happen. I actually did an online chat today to see what it would take to get a 922. I used the "I am a Dish employee and was hoping that Charlie would waive the $200 upgrade fee seeing I work for him" excuse and got nowhere. The CSR I was talking to said they cannot waive upgrade fees, so I guess its going to be $200 for me. Now I have to justify that one to my wife!

I did insist everything was noted on their end and noted it on my end as well but it still doesnt matter to them. I understand the reseller didnt know what they were talking about now but to be promised by corporate three different times and confirmed every month since and still not receive it is pure BS.

During the summer of 2009 I decided to change from cable because of the very poor customer service and started researching changing to satellite. I was leaning toward another company when I received a sales solicitation call from Dish Network. I'm not sure wether it was corporate or the local reseller. I was interested in an HD DVR for my main room and was informed of a product called the ViP922 SlingLoaded DVR. I work in sports and entertainment industry and this product sounded perfect for both personal and business use. I agreed to order the product and set up the installation. Then much to my surprise the installer informed me the 922 is not even released yet and I would have to settle for the 722 model. I immediately called to cancel. I was assured that if I continue the installation and sign a contract I would be able to trade out the current 722 for the 922 at "no additional cost". I agreed and allowed the installation to continue. Then before installation was complete I discovered another false claim this time about the 722 and called Dish Network back. The problem was resolved and I was once again assured I would receive an upgrade to the 922 with no problem and to check back in October. On October 8th I called back into Dish Network to find out if the box was released. I was told another estimated released date and became frustrated and was transfered to another agent. I was told to keep checking back every month or so and once again assured "customer was told he would receive 922 at no additional cost". I have since called sporadically and each time informed the agent of my situation only to be assured I will have it soon to keep checking. Finally the product I was sold and continually assured I would receive at no cost, the product I was promised in order to continue the installation, has been released. I call to have the exchange set up and am informed for the first time during this 9 month process that I can upgrade but at a charge of $400. Now I am being told they can not find any documentation in my account I would receive it at "no additional cost". Then I am told they found it but that the notation means something else and then I was given a few different excuses including "well maybe the agent was just simply repeating what you were saying". Now the story has changed to "well maybe you were told that, but we can not waive the fee regardless". This is unacceptable and illegal, this is bait & switch and false advertisement. Even though I was told I would receive the upgrade at "no additional cost" two different times in order to talk me into continuing the installation and confirmed later by an additional agent and never contradicted by multiple agent until the release I am now told "we will not be able to help you". I am not simply trying to get something for free, first off I would just like the product I was promised almost a year ago, secondly I would simply like Dish Network to obey the terms they agreed to before I continued the installation. It is not right that I have to hold up my end of the contract but they can disregard a documented agreement simply because "I shouldn't have been told that".

Two things would have worked in your favor. One is you should have been doing your due dilligence and had written down details of the conversation(s) you had with Dish people. Two is you should have recorded the conversations.

Now, do you feel like you should have been a bit skeptical? I other words, did this "promise" to receive a free upgrade to a $700 piece of equipment a bit too good to be true?
Yes, you can say "you trusted this CSR at their word.
Sorry. Not good enough.
UNfortunately the only thing that gets us by these days is documentation.
Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson. If it sounds too good to be true ,it probably is.

just tried to resolve the matter again by calling into customer service after reading similar situations finally being resolved and i was refused to be transfered to anyone else and the supervisor would not even speak to me and I was instructed to mail a letter to the Dispute Department's P.O. Box then given the address.

I could see your argument if the 922 was FREE for new customers, but even new customers
are paying $200.

If anything, they should honor the price of the 922 at $200 which would be the price you would pay to get it today if you where signing up for service for the first time.

I could see your argument if the 922 was FREE for new customers, but even new customers
are paying $200.

If anything, they should honor the price of the 922 at $200 which would be the price you would pay to get it today if you where signing up for service for the first time.

The 922 had no set price when they lied to him. They should honor the deal they made or the poster should use the upgrade fee they want to break the contract. Funny how Dish wins either way, isn't it?

He shouldn't have to pay anything. They told him that it would be free, and it should be. They even said they found the notation, but still can't do the deal? I would cancel my account, and not pay any fee's. Tell them you can't seem to recall any documentation.

it wasn't just verbal with multiple reps and supervisors and noted in the account

That's what I'm talking about. If it's written on the yellow slip you sign and the installer takes the white copy and you keep the yellow get a copy of it and call up the BBB. They might be able to help you. They helped me when AOL charged me for a free month and over drafted my bank account. Not same thing but they're there to help is my point.

just tried to resolve the matter again by calling into customer service after reading similar situations finally being resolved and i was refused to be transfered to anyone else and the supervisor would not even speak to me and I was instructed to mail a letter to the Dispute Department's P.O. Box then given the address.
a supervisor refused to speak with you? i'd call right back and get another one if that happened. will they at least confirm that it was noted in your account?

a supervisor refused to speak with you? i'd call right back and get another one if that happened. will they at least confirm that it was noted in your account?

Something he did got him flagged as a whiner. He'll get nothing but forwarded to Dispute Resolution now.

He shouldn't have to pay anything. They told him that it would be free, and it should be. They even said they found the notation, but still can't do the deal? I would cancel my account, and not pay any fee's. Tell them you can't seem to recall any documentation.

And see how quickly the collections agency doesn't recall sending the letter that shredded your credit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)