* Note - Do Not Call For Mpeg4 UNTIL FEB 1ST*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Figures!!

Tvlman said:
In my call to the Executive Offices this is what I was told.
"New customers will get MPEG-4 first. After that lease customers will be served. And then the rest of the subscribers."
They indicated it would take most of the year to do this so I wasn't given a schedule but only priorities. So the logic of this is ..... if I cancel DISH and come back as a new customer I stand a better chance of getting MPEG-4 in February???
I'm afraid to say that Dish is going to lose alot of existing customers before this is over! Someone at Dish has their head up their a**. About a year from now someone with a brain is going to look back and say "man did we screw that up!". I am now hearing rumors of a 18 month lease when trading in existing equipment. This is not going to happen in my case. I have always owned my own equipment and they have gladly cashed my checks on the monthly basis. If they think that i'm going to give them my 921 for a 622 and signup for a 18 mo. lease as part of it, then they have indeed lost their minds! Ain't going to happen;) . Gerry

bunnyville said:
Okay, dumb question. Why roll out MPEG4 on 2/1 but not have the receivers available for another month? I also wanna know why they didn't give me the option of the Vip622 when I subscribed in November. That would have made more sense...

THAT is why most of us have been buying Advil tablets in bulk lately........

I believe I read on here somewhere that E will let us keep our owned equipment and still offer the 99 dol upgrade offer, but I dunno if that is true. If this is true it would make the offer actually worth looking into for me since I'm looking to add another room so the 622's dual tuner would give me that plus I could use the 921 in a room I now have a 301 in. Hmmmm

Advil? I've been into antacids big time!

waltinvt: Scott has already posted that they did not enter production until December. The sound you heard when I read that was my crest falling.....

And, YES- owned equipment does not have to be turned in. You OWN it. You still get the same deal to start up a lease. Your "old" non-MPEG-4 equipment will still be usable for non-MPEG-4 purposes.

navychop said:
Advil? I've been into antacids big time!

waltinvt: Scott has already posted that they did not enter production until December. The sound you heard when I read that was my crest falling.....

Sorry if I implied anyone was BSing. I have no doubt that is what "E" told Scott. I just meant that it just doesn't seem realistic that any company (even one as short-sighted as "E") would be so stupid as to launch a plan that would disinfranchise their biggest customers for months.

Please correct me if any of these seems unrealistic:

Simply put, it just doesn't seem reasonable that if 622s only went into production in Dec, that "E" could ever hope to meet the kind of demand they've created for Feb 1st.

So to counter that, they concoct a deal where existing HD DVR subs have to wait until April 1st to even get in the waiting line or forfit $200.

This wouldn't be so bad except "E" delibertly increases demand even further beyond what they can ever hope to meet (again, if the Dec production start date is true) by launching the new HD channels "disguised" as a format that only the new receivers can receive.

Add to this that since "E" started HD they've made one promise after another about more HD and "E" being the HD Leader, etc. For example, when they first launched Voom they promised all of us that the remaining Voom 21 would be up by the end of '05.

They not only broke that promise, they're basically now trying to restrict those channels to new customers & existing non HD customers at first, followed by existing non HD DVR customers; and then whatever is left, they'll start rationing out to those existing customers that have invested heavly in Dish hardware this past year or so.

navychop said:
And, YES- owned equipment does not have to be turned in. You OWN it. You still get the same deal to start up a lease. Your "old" non-MPEG-4 equipment will still be usable for non-MPEG-4 purposes.
What "same deal"? You must mean the regular "$300 to lease a 622 deal" that anyone can get? I think everyone realizes they have that option but I don't think Dish said anywhere that those that own a 921 or 942 can get the same $200, April 1st rebate deal WITHOUT turning in their 921 / 942.

This is the rub that has so many upset but so many are just not getting. Many existing customers have invested BIG $$ in either a 921, 942 or both.

They are not only NOT being offered any kind of compensation for that investment other than to wait months for the new HD channels they were promised when they bought their receivers and then Dish will buy back ONE of those receivers for $200.

Last edited:
gpflepsen said:
Walt, this whole thing bothers you, eh? :)

Yea, I know. I've gotta calm down about this stuff. I'm really usually a pretty happy, easy going guy - just ask my wife or any one of my eight kids :D .

I almost had a handle on it and then this HD Superbowl fiasco started.:eek:

Last year I when leased an 811 on the Dish'n it Up promo for $99 they told me if I sent them one of my old receivers (which I own) that I could get a $50 rebate, but that it was optional. They may have a similar policy with this deal.

rdinkel said:
Go to retailers that have 211s in stock now. They will sell them or do Dish'n-it-Up deal through 31 Jan!!!

What retailers have them? Is it a better deal to buy now then after Feb 1st?

I understand exactly what Walt is saying, because I am in the same boat. I bought a 942 this past summer, along with a wing dish to get Voom. With the install, etc, I dropped almost a $1000. For that type of cash outlay, buying their top-of-the-line equipment, I expected to at least be able to receive new HD channels when they came out. After all, Dish had promised to have all 21 Voom channels by the end of '05. Based on that, I was willing to pay the $$$ for E* best HD receiver that I thought would not only last a few years, but AT LEAST be able to receive all of their HD programming!! That is not such an unreasonable expectation. Yes, I know my 942 will still work - but it won't receive any new HD channels; that seems both strange and unreasonable for what was Dish's high end receiver two months ago.

My parents had been waiting to buy a Dish HD receiver for an HD TV they had owned for a while. After seeing my 942, my mother really wanted one. By then, I had found this site, and then listened to the Chat in November, when Charley said MPEG4 was a long way off, so they went ahead and plucked down their $$$ for a 942. Unfortunately, unlike me, they can't pick up our local HD OTA, so if they want their locals when they roll out or any new HD channels, they have to upgrade. So they bought their top of the line equipment in Nov '05 after hearing the CEO say the need for newer equipment was a long way off, and then a month and a half later, they can't receive the newest channels!

Sorry for the lenghthy post, but it feels good to vent. Walt, I'm with you! Even if no one else understands, those of us who recently purchased a 942 do!!

tribalmunky said:
Is there some sort of registry of retailers in my area? I find the small list on E*'s site kinda lacking, and maybe out of date...

What is your area?

normal promo rules say you can only do dish n up once a year but with the new rec coming out dish is going to allow you to upgrade to mpeg 4 even if its with in the past year

KeithInDallas said:
I understand exactly what Walt is saying, because I am in the same boat. I bought a 942 this past summer, along with a wing dish to get Voom. With the install, etc, I dropped almost a $1000. For that type of cash outlay, buying their top-of-the-line equipment, I expected to at least be able to receive new HD channels when they came out. After all, Dish had promised to have all 21 Voom channels by the end of '05. Based on that, I was willing to pay the $$$ for E* best HD receiver that I thought would not only last a few years, but AT LEAST be able to receive all of their HD programming!! That is not such an unreasonable expectation. Yes, I know my 942 will still work - but it won't receive any new HD channels; that seems both strange and unreasonable for what was Dish's high end receiver two months ago.

My parents had been waiting to buy a Dish HD receiver for an HD TV they had owned for a while. After seeing my 942, my mother really wanted one. By then, I had found this site, and then listened to the Chat in November, when Charley said MPEG4 was a long way off, so they went ahead and plucked down their $$$ for a 942. Unfortunately, unlike me, they can't pick up our local HD OTA, so if they want their locals when they roll out or any new HD channels, they have to upgrade. So they bought their top of the line equipment in Nov '05 after hearing the CEO say the need for newer equipment was a long way off, and then a month and a half later, they can't receive the newest channels!

Sorry for the lenghthy post, but it feels good to vent. Walt, I'm with you! Even if no one else understands, those of us who recently purchased a 942 do!!

A lot of us do understand and have purchased the 942 based on Dishes lies. Some like myself are on the sidelines watching the posts here and are pissed off.
I am in the process of looking elsewhere for HD. Hopefully my local cable company is stringing new fibre cable.If that is the case I am gone. I would get all locals in HD plus all that dish offers minus voom.
And for all of the posters that will reply we should not have bought the 942 I say
Read, Read, Read the Charlie Craps and you will find the lies.
So Keith, a lot of us do understand.

What is so frustrating here is that of all the available choices, Dish is still the better one in most cases.

I think that's what pisses me off the most. Every time they have (or think they have) the upper hand, they pull the kind of crap they're doing now. If they think they've got you, they'll squeeze every thing they can out of you until you're just short of jumping ship.

I know Dish is a business and needs to keep they're stock holders happy but with them it's always about money and so often they'll so obviously nickle & dime their customers to death while blowing a ton of money on stupid marketing or product development decisions.

For once I'd just like to see Dish show that they REALLY care more about the customers they have than the ones they're trying to get.

I completely agree with Walt, Keith and jmd! A number of individuals purchased a 942 based on what was said in the November Tech Chat, and an even larger number purchased the 942 simply because they wanted one. The majority of customers are totally oblivious to the underlying technologies used by Dish Networks (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, 8-PSK Turbo mode, etc.). As I've said a dozen times in other threads, people who purchased these receivers are expecting to be able to subscribe to all current and future HD (or HD-Lite) channels Dish offers...at least through the 1 year warranty period. Dish should replace all purchased 942s under warranty with a brand new 622 free-of-charge....the owner pays just $49 to cover shipping charges. Those leasing a 942 seem to be getting a fair deal because they are paying $99 to upgrade to the 622: $49 difference between the lease price of both receivers ($299-$250) and $50 to cover shipping charges.

I don't object to E* creating the DishHD tiers, but I fully believe this creation was motivated by lawyers to protect E* from lawsuits and angry HD receiver owners. I actually think the HD upgrades are pretty fair with the notable exception of the 942 owners getting shafted, and the limitations placed on the number of receivers that can be upgraded under the Dish'n It Up plan. However, I feel these limitations can be overcome by escalating the matter to Executive Services simply based on the infamous November Tech Chat. By the way, does anyone know if the video stream of key portions of the chat is posted online?

I just checked on ebay and there are a lot of "new-in-box" 942s on sale. It looks like the going price is around $450. Most of the sellers are "authorized resellers" and there are a lot of people bidding.

I read that Dish would not activate any new MPEG2 recievers after 2/1 but many of these bid end date are almost a week out. If this is the case, then the people selling these recievers must know that they won't be able to deliver the recievers in time to get activated. What are these people thinking?

Dan Berndt said:
I just checked on ebay and there are a lot of "new-in-box" 942s on sale. It looks like the going price is around $450. Most of the sellers are "authorized resellers" and there are a lot of people bidding.
I read that Dish would not activate any new MPEG2 recievers after 2/1 but many of these bid end date are almost a week out. If this is the case, then the people selling these recievers must know that they won't be able to deliver the recievers in time to get activated. What are these people thinking?
I bet you these people aren't even aware of the Mpeg 4 ...Mpeg 2 transfer. How would you find out unless you come to a site like this one to read up on things? Most people getting into HD for the first time aren't aware of M2 or M4. It is sad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)