Notice how there is very little talk about programming in this forum???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigec2002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
Thas because there is nothing to talk about Virginia! Yeah that's right Direct CrapV is busy putting out CD USA bopper music HD channels while my friends with cable are asking me if I want to come over to their house and watch Thursday night NBA on their TNT HD. I bit because of the Voom Customer rebate offer and I'm going to give them untli the end of my contract to show me the money but I'll be standing by to yank all their stuff out. Their whole HD marketing strategy is based around a pay per view model so the only way anyone will get any more HD out of them is well you know the deal. So enjoy the piping of your HD local programming through a round antenna and keep the other one for when it rains real heavy because thats all the free HD you're gonna get!:tux:

On April 14 my 1 year commit for getting a H10 is up as I thought they would do a free swap to MPEG4 and have new HD to go along with it when I bought it. After 8 years with D* they will get the boot for a totally lame HD pack and nothing worthwhile on the horizon, I get my locals just fine OTA so they have nothing to offer me to stay. I could give a rip about ST as I think college FB is a much better watch than pro, and as far as BB goes that is BORING. So unless Rupert pulls a big rabbit out of his hat by April 14 I will upgrade my E* 811 and go with the HD gold pack.

Basically it all comes down to ones personal preference.I just dumped E* because I thought the Voom channels were a joke and paying and extra $30 more a month was a even bigger joke and waste of money.Like I said that was just MY OPINION,others obviously would have the own.E* is a good service I`m not going to slam them at all,in fact I got them 14 new customers over the years that I was with them by telling them how much I liked there service.But this latest hd-strategy if you want to call it that E* has as well as some channels preferences I decided to make the switch over to D*. It has the HD channels {ESPN2 and UHD} that I wanted without paying $30 more a month and having Voom channels forced on me just to get the two I mentioned.Plus D* has the ST which I have been wanting to get and OLN is still up and running on D* so I can still get NHL coverage as well.I would like to see more HD channels as well,but I really don't want a hefty price increase too get them,especially if the new HD programming is something like Voom.But like I said that is my opinion and I do like DISH Network and DirecTV over any thing cable can ever offer,at least in my area.I think most everyone who has invested the $$$$$ into HD-TV`s and HD receivers would like to see some more HD choices,but remember they will come at a cost.In a perfect world, D* and E* could add 10-15 new HD channels and offer them ala-carte like they do with the Distant HD nets and one could pick and choose what they would like added to their programming package.That way each could get WHAT they want and not have to pay x-tra for those they DON`T want.But like I said that is in the "Perfect world of TV viewing".One other thing................................................................... charper , I agree with your above listed reply :)

Last edited:
tnt-hd, no biggie for me, thus not that compelling of an argument

FKy.Guy said:
I thought the Voom channels were a joke and paying and extra $30 more a month was a even bigger joke and waste of money...
D* has the HD channels {ESPN2 and UHD} that I wanted without paying $30 more a month and having Voom channels forced on me just to get the two I mentioned.

What is $30 about?:confused:
E* HD pack id $9.99, Voom is $5.00 = $14.99, twice less then $30.
From Feb. 1 new HD pack with 23 channels including Voom, will cost $20 extra on top of SD pack. Again it is 1.5 times less then $30.
If you reffering to a new standalone HD pack, then you are not paying extra, you are paing $29.99 for the total programming package.

Ok, let me try this again. With E* I had the AT 180 program package @ $52.99 a month. Upgrade to the DISH HD-Gold pack would be $74.99 throw in my lease fee, which I do not have now, and I am up near the $30 increase I was referring too. Plus like I said that was just MY opinion of the Voom programming. I know a lot of folks out there will enjoy watching them and that’s fine if that’s what they want to see and pay for. I’m saying I switched over to D* because they had what I wanted. But if I am looking at something wrong in the pricing here let me know, but from looking at E*`s web site those are the numbers/prices that I see. Yes I was off on my original estimate of $30 because I was including the lease fee and what it would actually cost me more per month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.