Now a member of the 4' c band club

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I am now a proud member of the 1.2 meter c band club :D Today I had some free time so I decided to slap a c band LNB onto my 1.2 p* dish. My mounting technique was quite complicated, consisting of a single zip tie to hold the lnb in the same place the P* lnb was mounted :)

After playing around for about a while, i got my first digital signal off of g16 (alas, not the networks). A few more minutes worth of aiming, and I was hitting Anik F1 with signal levels around 60%. Mind you, this is without a scalar ring of any type, and with an old 65 degree Drake LNB. Also, I didnt really have time to properly peak the LNB, I am sure I could have done better with higher resultant signal quality.

All in all a fun afternoon project, next time I try this I am going to have the proper scalar ring and a lower noise temp LNB.

Attached is a pic of the p* with LNB ziptied in place.

I tried to post this in Cascades 4' c band thread, but the thread is too old.

Attachments

• 4footdish.jpg
    4footdish.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Thanks Iceberg and Pete,
It was a fun project to play with on a perfect fall day. I wish I had the conical scaler ring and a lower noise level LNB to play with today. I really wanted to get the nets off of g16, or the stuff off of 121 c band (good stuff there btw). Maybe next time....

the nets have dropped recently. Only getting a 60 on my Pansat 1500/6 footer

ya gotta love when the cooler weather starts coming. Can get more doone outside :)

I'm impressed.

My belief had long been 6 ft. was the bare min. for acceptable video performance on C-band, unless you happened to be in a particularly sweet spot of the footprint.

Don't think I will be pulling down my 12' BUD anytime soon, but I'm definitely going to search out that 4' thread!

Well Done

I have not played with the c band on my 1.2m for a while now but did have some good results the last time.
I was using the BSC 621 and could not get the ku section to perform well enough as some of the weaker tp's were no good as the Q was 63 or below on the coolsat and it doesn't like anything below 63%.
For now I have the ku lnbf there alone.

Dave

Channel Master 1.2m

I have one of these dishes too and I actually got the Andrew C band feed horn for it. I since taken it off but I had pretty good success on the newer Cband birds. I put the Ku feed back on because I wanted to see KU. Anyway has anyone figure out a way to make this dish steerable? Andrew told me No but there may be some after market thing. So anyone got ideas? Mind you I don't have a metal shop or place that can make me anything I am hoping someone figure out something though. Thanks for any suggestion.

Grumpy,
While you can get c band on a 4' dish, it is more a "hobby" thing than anything else. From what i have read, some of the stonger c band DVB stuff can be picked up, but many of the weaker DVB signals cannot. The sat I aimed at (anik f1) puts out a pretty strong signal, whereas i was not able to get a good signal with the nets on g16.

Last edited:
Doc
Can you get the free stuff on Anik F1? There are some VERY strong signal there and I know Pete was able to pick them up with a Primestar dish

neftv said:
Anyway has anyone figure out a way to make this dish steerable? Andrew told me No but there may be some after market thing. So anyone got ideas? Mind you I don't have a metal shop or place that can make me anything I am hoping someone figure out something though. Thanks for any suggestion.
One of the forum members/ mods here (Cascade) was using a Jauguar (sp?) diseqc controllable actuator on his 4' dish and reported very favorable results with it.

neftv said:
I have one of these dishes too and I actually got the Andrew C band feed horn for it. I since taken it off but I had pretty good success on the newer Cband birds. I put the Ku feed back on because I wanted to see KU. Anyway has anyone figure out a way to make this dish steerable? Andrew told me No but there may be some after market thing. So anyone got ideas? Mind you I don't have a metal shop or place that can make me anything I am hoping someone figure out something though. Thanks for any suggestion.

Are you talking about something like this.See pic.

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 192
Iceberg said:
Doc
Can you get the free stuff on Anik F1? There are some VERY strong signal there and I know Pete was able to pick them up with a Primestar dish
I was being dislexic in my previous posts, i was actually hitting f1. Also i hit a very strong signal on g16 v, but it was all scrambled channels.

oh ok :)

G16 V seems to be pretty strong. I know when I was working with the 6 footer V seemed to be stronger

I really think i can hit other c band stuff with the proper scalar ring/lnb combo and a better position. Where my 4' dish is positioned (right next to my BUD) I seem to get some RF reflection/noise off of the 10' BUD. Is this possible?

Eastcoast said:
Are you talking about something like this.See pic.

Dave

That's pretty neat. I see the angle iron there but I don't know what the rest of it is there? Can you tell me where you got that, etc? Please.

drhydro said:
... 4' dish is positioned (right next to my BUD) I seem to get some RF reflection/noise off of the 10' BUD. Is this possible?

It sounds plausible. There's a local oscillator humming away inside the BUD's LNB. Your 4 footer's LNB (sans scaler ring) might be seeing that L.O.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)