Now here is a read...

Since I get the impression that E* provides the greatest income stream to VOOM, I think if E* dropped VOOM it would have a far greater impact on Rainbow than on E*
Didn't read the linked PDF, eh ?

Given EchoStar’s reach and VOOM[’s] payment and distribution rights under the Affiliation Agreement, VOOM will be a self-sustaining business until 2020, whether or not any other cable or digital satellite provider agrees to carry VOOM

From my standpoint, the court case is going to be interesting. I assume Dish would love to drop the channels in 30 days, but won't pending a court case. If VOOM is successful in a trial the channels would have to be readded, so Dish may just wait to see how the litigation is going to turn out. I think the tipping point will be June 30th. If VOOM is still on Cablevision July 1st, you know Cablevision is intent on going all the way with litigation to keep VOOM on Dish. I would love to see VOOM dropped completely as they are a waste of space for Cablevision and Dish. A lot of programming they have is carried by mainstream channels that are now in HD. Regardless, this will be interesting for the next 2 months & perhaps longer.

"Never heard of" So what. Anyone who comes over and sees them wants to know how to get them. I like 24/7 all HD. News, sports, weather, music, art, cartoons, classics movies. No Voom- No Dish for me.

Can anyone read the handwritten scribblings on Page 1?

I get as far as
Motion decided accordance w/ accompanying (can't read the last two words).

I also note that it is marked "Non-final Disposition" -- does this mean the court would rather Voom LLC and Echostar work this out in the end?

Cheers,

I actually think voom is hurting dish more than what any of you realize. Voom has been showing nothing but repeats for a while now. They obviously haven't been putting money twards programming as their library shows it. Now if they were to get rid of them, dish has the space to add 12 additional HD channels that gives them the room to compete with D* and possibly gain the HD leader status back until D* fires back. Who wants to watch repeats? Voom maybe able to still market monsters HD, and sell its rave programming to MHD, which they do already. Now, dish could potentally settle down the Voom crowd by adding Chiller HD. I think we all agree that monsters HD is the only channel on Voom that is really worth while.

Rainbow Media has been building their HD library. They have just launched AMC, IFC, WE, (FUSE not owned but uplinked) (G14, Xpnd 2) in HD. Voom has been expanding internationally the past year. Now, E* can't get along with another supplier of HD content. The channels could be rebranded again and consolidated. Maybe, D* will get a true Horror channel in HD. There are no plans that NBCU will make Chiller have a HD feed because of 2 problems. 1) The channel is losing money and 2) they do not have anything in HD. Fuse buy the RAVE programming for their HD feed. AMC or IFC could buy the HD movies library and FilmFest. I enjoyed the true HD content on those channels.

Let's follow the leader like D* or cable. I think Voom has helped E* because many VOOM subs came over (I know it was only 23,000). Voom made the E* the HD leader. I hope that they can work things out. Sorry for ranting.

Source: Rainbow Network Picks Intelsat Galaxy 14 Satellite for HD Programming Delivery

Are there any companies not currently sueing Echostar? I get the feeling that Ethics is not an annual training requirement at Dish Network. I would not do business with EchoStar without demanding cash up front and and having them waive all litigation rights.

Here's some "News" for you... One man's "waste of space" ... is another man's "Treasure" ... we "Rush" to the "Family Room" to have a "Film Fest" ... A great "World Sport" to see would be a quick "KungFu" strike to the "Monsters" whose "GamePlay" is to get rid of the "Gallery" of channels I "Rave" about.

Yes, it's lame, no need to tell me :)

I don't watch Espn when its not football season, watch Espn 2 for Drag Racing and only very rarely watch HGTV and Food Tv... I don't gripe about these wasting space ;) to each his own... you want to give up 24/7 HD channels for mainly SD upconvert/part time HD channels?

I recently signed on with DISH so I could see the WorldsportHD channel and soccer matches from Spain in HD.

If Voom goes so will I.

Between no WorldSportHD and No MLB Baseball package I will switch back to Directv.

I would however greatly miss the 722 DVR and EHD.
Directv's HR20/21 is pretty bad.

Hopefully if they do dump some Voom WorldSportHD will stay on DISH.

bjf

Rainbow Media has been building their HD library. They have just launched AMC, IFC, WE, (FUSE not owned but uplinked) (G14, Xpnd 2) in HD.

These aren't part of the Voom collection of channels. I'm no laywer, but if the channels aren't part of Voom it is a non sequitor IMO. Also isn't Rainbow Media a separate corporate entity for the sake of this argument?

Voom has been expanding internationally the past year.

Which again is not relevant to the service agreed to.

Now, E* can't get along with another supplier of HD content.

Since Voom didn't live up to their end of the agreement vis a vis spending; why is it E*s "fault" for holding them to their agreement?

If I enter into a contractual arrangement I do expect the other side to hold up their end of the contract, just as I do mine. Fair is fair.

The channels could be rebranded again and consolidated. Maybe, D* will get a true Horror channel in HD. There are no plans that NBCU will make Chiller have a HD feed because of 2 problems. 1) The channel is losing money and 2) they do not have anything in HD. Fuse buy the RAVE programming for their HD feed. AMC or IFC could buy the HD movies library and FilmFest. I enjoyed the true HD content on those channels.

Fuse, AMC and IFC are not part of the Voom collection -- nice idea but a non sequitor to the case isn't it? Package them with Voom, and it's another story altogether.

Let's follow the leader like D* or cable. I think Voom has helped E* because many VOOM subs came over (I know it was only 23,000). Voom made the E* the HD leader. I hope that they can work things out. Sorry for ranting.

To a point. I suspect the V* subscribers have to be just as ticked as E* about the repeats situation.

Also 23K is far less than 1 months churn for the services.

Can anyone read the handwritten scribblings on Page 1?

I get as far as
Motion decided accordance w/ accompanying (can't read the last two words).

I also note that it is marked "Non-final Disposition" -- does this mean the court would rather Voom LLC and Echostar work this out in the end?

Cheers,

Motion decided in accordance with accompanying memorandum decision!

Means the decision from the injunction is not final, that would happen after a trial decision is made. Many months ahead for that to occur!

hall, you misread the statement...
hall said:
Given EchoStar’s reach and VOOM[’s] payment and distribution rights under the Affiliation Agreement, VOOM will be a self-sustaining business until 2020, whether or not any other cable or digital satellite provider agrees to carry VOOM
If Dish Network drops VOOM, then VOOM will no longer be a self-sustaining business.

Here's the problem I have. There's this contract. One party has notified the other they are cancelling the contract. Without a contract, how are they actually carrying the channels in question now?

The answer is that Dish Network knows they have VOOM over a barrel. And Dish Network is basically trying to dictate the terms of what a new contract would look like.

So is Dish Network trying to put VOOM out of business, or trying to renegotiate programming differently than the 15 HD channels they still broadcast?

Well, if there's nothing but crap on all channels (an all too common situation), I'd rather watch crap without commercials than crap with commercials. So Voom serves that purpose. Normally I just go and play the piano instead, but for those really lazy times ... I just hate the commercials!

I signed with Dish to get Voom Channels

Voom 100% HD content 100% of the time. Voom was the only reason I signed up with Charlie.

If Voom is dropped by E* I might as well go with Comcast for HD local sports in Philly

I signed with dish to get Voom channels as well. When they produce movies in HD they do the best job around. I remember Voom had the Birds an it was sharp. Latter on one of the Cuban channels they had Birds and other movies of Alfred Hitchcock and they all looked soft.

I like it for the Spanish soccer.

I like the Rave and Equator channels as well. Heck even the fashion channel looks good.

Don't tell me Chiller comes even close to Monsters Chanel.

But why can't we have all of them. :eureka

So is Dish Network trying to put VOOM out of business, or trying to renegotiate programming differently than the 15 HD channels they still broadcast?
I think E* is trying to dictate the terms of a new agreement, but putting VOOM out of business is an acceptable risk. If I were VOOM, I would quickly approach DirecTV and Verizon. This story could take some interesting twists and turns.

How about this.... I haven't had TV service since VOOM DBS went out of business in 2005.

ALL I wanted were the 40 VOOM HD channels! Don't care about mainstream channels. The PQ of Voom on Dish was never as good as the VOOM DBS, from what I heard, so I never got Dish after VOOM DBS died.

One of my favorites on VOOM was World Cinema. I don't see that channel listed at the Voom website. Dropped?

I was hoping PQ would improve, and Voom would make new productions and not have so many repeats --- like the old days --- and then I would get Dish and have Voom again. But if VOOM is going to die.... that's it for me. I will be sticking to BD rentals.

-------------------------------------------------
BTW, hello to riffjim4069 from the old VOOM DBS forum days. :hatsoff:

I actually think voom is hurting dish more than what any of you realize. Voom has been showing nothing but repeats for a while now. They obviously haven't been putting money twards programming as their library shows it. Now if they were to get rid of them, dish has the space to add 12 additional HD channels that gives them the room to compete with D* and possibly gain the HD leader status back until D* fires back. Who wants to watch repeats? Voom maybe able to still market monsters HD, and sell its rave programming to MHD, which they do already. Now, dish could potentally settle down the Voom crowd by adding Chiller HD. I think we all agree that monsters HD is the only channel on Voom that is really worth while.

Chiller HD does not exist yet.

How about this.... I haven't had TV service since VOOM DBS went out of business in 2005.

ALL I wanted were the 40 VOOM HD channels! Don't care about mainstream channels. The PQ of Voom on Dish was never as good as the VOOM DBS, from what I heard, so I never got Dish after VOOM DBS died.

One of my favorites on VOOM was World Cinema. I don't see that channel listed at the Voom website. Dropped?

I was hoping PQ would improve, and Voom would make new productions and not have so many repeats --- like the old days --- and then I would get Dish and have Voom again. But if VOOM is going to die.... that's it for me. I will be sticking to BD rentals.

-------------------------------------------------
BTW, hello to riffjim4069 from the old VOOM DBS forum days. :hatsoff:

World cinema was rebranded by voom. It is now called Voomhdmovies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)