Now here is a read...

Dish won't drop VOOM entirely. They're too reliant on saying "we have 'X' HD channels". No way they'll let that number go down ! Dish wants to keep VOOM, no question about it, but want it on a tier (like D* did with HDNet and HDMovies).

Dish won't drop VOOM entirely. They're too reliant on saying "we have 'X' HD channels". No way they'll let that number go down ! Dish wants to keep VOOM, no question about it, but want it on a tier (like D* did with HDNet and HDMovies).

I hope you are right. I just cant see Dish wanted to get rid of them totally. I wonder which Voom channels get the most viewers it has to be MonstersHD. I am all for dropping a couple of the Voom channels to make way for more National HD but dont drop Monsters.

How about some stats to back up your feelings?

I think more people here have dropped SD and kept all the HD channels than those who have dropped to HD Essentials.

If they move first run BSG and SGA to UniversalHD, we can drop the SciFiHD channel. Eureka and Dr. Who can move too if needed.

Funny how the combined VS/Golf channel has some up in arms but they have no problem suggesting Voom combine channels...

In fact, now that Monk and Psych are on NBC proper, we can drop that (USAHD) too. Combine the saved bandwidth from all the stretch armstrong channels and release two new HD channels, one for Law and Order reruns and CSI reruns and the other could be the Wrestling Channel.

There, problem solved.

Besides, Dish is adding the HD channels listed in my sig in the next month or so without sacrificing anyone else's favorite programming.

Do I have hard evidence, no. What I do have is past experience to go on.

Say what you want about Charlie but he is a businessman, a very good one, and in the market to make money. He says he wants whats in the best interest of the customers. In reality he wants whats best for the customer as long as (in most cases) the money situation benifits Dish. His actions in the past clearly show this and thats exactly how a company should be run.

A few years ago Dish needed to respond to a very small, but VERY vocal community. This community had brand new HD sets, not shy about spending money, educated about the HD product, and wanted content.

Dish saw an opportunity and grabbed the rights to Voom. Back then there was very little HD content anywhere and Voom had tons of it. Because the community that was wanting the content was willing to pay for it it was a Win/Win situation for Charlie. Dish goes and charges 20 bucks for the HD pack and overnight becomes the HD leader.

Fast forward to today.

In the current market, there are a LOT more HD channels. This doesnt mean there is a lot of HD content on those channels, but there are many more channels that now are "in HD."

Today Dish is no longer catering to a niche market of HD enthusiasts. Why? Because Joe User now has a voice in the matter and Joe User doesnt care if a channel is actually HD as long as there is that little logo on the channel that says HD.

HD is beginning to go mainstream and FAST. Now that the Analog cutoff is actually going to happen, you got a bunch of people buying Digital capable sets and thinking they absolutely have to have them because their TV wont work in Feb. Those people want HD, are not willing to spend $20 bucks on HD, and generally dont care about VOOM.

Now that the term "HD" has gone mainstream Dish needs to play catchup with DirecTV. DirecTV has a brilliant marketing campaign currently that is talking about Dish having all these HD channels that no one cares about. In the commerical they say, "get the channels that really matter like ......." In another commercial DirecTV was talking about paying too much for HD on Dish when the only way to get HD on Dish was to pay $20 a month.

Joe User wants the product cheap and currently DirecTV subs are up. Dish had to respond with the $10 HD pack or else they were going to start losing out big time to DirecTV.

The thing that you have to remember is that we are a VERY vocal minority in this forum and are part of the enthusiast community..

Either Voom is not turning a profit, or its not turning in ENOUGH profit. Dish knows they have limited HD capacity and Voom takes a nice chunk of it.

If Voom was making good money for Dish then Dish wouldnt be trying change the contract so its able to carry it in a tier. You dont try to get out of a contract that is taking in lots of profits.

Dish is trying desperately to continue to cater to the vocal minority while keeping Joe User happy.

Voom HD Movies channel formally WorldCinema I think is a step to A Voom channel offered on another tier. Voom has had several new production series this year not sure how close that gets to $100m however is does state:
"if the numBer of channels on Voom was permanently reduced, the annual spending requirement would decrease pursuant to a prescriBed formula."

Echostar never rolled out the complete suite. Voom reduced spending accordingly.

Contrary to most here, I want more Voom channels to return. (As much as I never watch Game or Monsters, I know others do- If I want my HD, I must also fight for you HD) Grow don't reduce the amount of full time HD content channels.

BTY GSN is preparing to go all HD soon. Just taking time to get the old and new material ready first.

I hope you are right. I just cant see Dish wanted to get rid of them totally. I wonder which Voom channels get the most viewers it has to be MonstersHD. I am all for dropping a couple of the Voom channels to make way for more National HD but dont drop Monsters.

I would agree that Monstershd is probably the most popular of the Voom channels. It is also (except Nov-Mar) one of the best hd channels available.

I think MonstersHD is probably the best HD channel I have. If they could get rid of a couple channels and keep Monstershd and a couple other of the most popular Voom channels that could mean a lot more newer content for these channels. I think this would be a good thing because you would get a lot more high budget films on MonstersHD.

I think MonstersHD is probably the best HD channel I have. If they could get rid of a couple channels and keep Monstershd and a couple other of the most popular Voom channels that could mean a lot more newer content for these channels. I think this would be a good thing because you would get a lot more high budget films on MonstersHD.

I agree but don't trust them to keep Monsters. I also don't want to see Monsters combined with another channel. Monsters has great potential and is pretty darn good as is.

MonstersHD is the reason I have Dish I watch it a lot. Thats why I dont want it to be combined or removed.

Say what you want about Charlie but he is a businessman, a very good one, and in the market to make money. He says he wants whats in the best interest of the customers. In reality he wants whats best for the customer as long as (in most cases) the money situation benifits Dish. His actions in the past clearly show this and thats exactly how a company should be run.
This much is true. In this particular case, he is looking to make more money and spend less by using the contract to make this happen. He can put the pressure on Voom to improve every channel to keep on the air and if they want to be on all tiers, they will have to prove they can provide the content to justify it.
A few years ago Dish needed to respond to a very small, but VERY vocal community. This community had brand new HD sets, not shy about spending money, educated about the HD product, and wanted content

Dish saw an opportunity and grabbed the rights to Voom. Back then there was very little HD content anywhere and Voom had tons of it. Because the community that was wanting the content was willing to pay for it it was a Win/Win situation for Charlie. Dish goes and charges 20 bucks for the HD pack and overnight becomes the HD leader..

Don't really see Dish responding to a small community but they did see an opportunity to grab the HD market early.

Fast forward to today.

In the current market, there are a LOT more HD channels. This doesnt mean there is a lot of HD content on those channels, but there are many more channels that now are "in HD."

Today Dish is no longer catering to a niche market of HD enthusiasts. Why? Because Joe User now has a voice in the matter and Joe User doesnt care if a channel is actually HD as long as there is that little logo on the channel that says HD.

J6P (joe six pack) doesn't even know whether he is looking at HD or not. D* can play their marketing game to get 1st time subs, but they will churn soon enough because that's the game these days and cable plays it up just like satellite does.

Most J6Ps as well as the niche viewers HATE the logo bugs regardless of whether it says HD or not.

HD is beginning to go mainstream and FAST. Now that the Analog cutoff is actually going to happen, you got a bunch of people buying Digital capable sets and thinking they absolutely have to have them because their TV wont work in Feb. Those people want HD, are not willing to spend $20 bucks on HD, and generally dont care about VOOM.

HDTVs are going mainstream and fast but HD itself, not so much. More people are learning but HD costs no matter who you get it from. D* can tell people theirs is cheaper but after they see their bills for awhile, the churn machine will crank up as they look for ways to save money.

"Don't care about Voom" - How can you say that? If they have never seen Voom before, then as they say, It's New To You! Then, when they see that the content is actually HD and it's OAR and it's not interrupted by commercials every 7 minutes they will love it even more.

Now that the term "HD" has gone mainstream Dish needs to play catchup with DirecTV. DirecTV has a brilliant marketing campaign currently that is talking about Dish having all these HD channels that no one cares about. In the commerical they say, "get the channels that really matter like ......." In another commercial DirecTV was talking about paying too much for HD on Dish when the only way to get HD on Dish was to pay $20 a month.

D* marketing, already addressed, hides the truth that there are just as many if not more non-Voom HD channels that are nonsense-who cares channels. AMCHD? Years ago maybe but ads ruined that channel and that is just the beginning...

Joe User wants the product cheap and currently DirecTV subs are up. Dish had to respond with the $10 HD pack or else they were going to start losing out big time to DirecTV.

"Joe User wants the product cheap and currently DirecTV subs are up."

1st time subs, who when their deals run out will hit the churn stiles.

The thing that you have to remember is that we are a VERY vocal minority in this forum and are part of the enthusiast community..
Exactly, that's why all the postulating, venting, and pontificating might be interesting but is all but invisible to reality.
Either Voom is not turning a profit, or its not turning in ENOUGH profit. Dish knows they have limited HD capacity and Voom takes a nice chunk of it.

If Voom was making good money for Dish then Dish wouldnt be trying change the contract so its able to carry it in a tier. You dont try to get out of a contract that is taking in lots of profits.

Dish is trying desperately to continue to cater to the vocal minority while keeping Joe User happy.

Dish is cracking the whip on a provider that could do a better job of keeping a fine product available to its subs. Voom is still the best high quality HD product available and Dish wants to keep it that way.

Voom we do not want to lose it?? I am in the twlight zone?? how many post have their been attacking VOOM??

Were am I?? reading post of folks leaving Dish if v0om is pulled??

I can not get out of this --were am I???

I think you are misunderstanding an essential part of both the contract, as well as the assessment by SCONY Justice. According to the contract, the right to terminate under certain conditions only begins should a material breech occur twice in a year, or within 6 months of each other, as the right to cure allows for one breech, after which remediation steps are to be taken and the breech must not then recur within 6 months. Due to the annual nature of the supposed breech in question it has to be read that this breech occurs outside of the right to cure provision as the benchmark for the breech is the annual spend. It is impossible that this be violated twice in a year, thus, if you interpret the contract as you appear to be from your words above, lack of annual expediture is a deficiency that could continue ad finituum as the right to terminate could never be invoked by Echostar due to the way the cure provision is structured to include the wording about bi-annual recurrance.

So, essentially, this breech in my opinion occurs outside of both the contractual cure and termination provisions due to their limited scope, so the contract then becomes subject to interpretation, which is why it is being litigated, to determine what this interpretation should be.

Not to be an E* fanboy, but I think E* is in the right on this one. Seems to me, Voom intentionally deviated from GAAP practices to include overhead with the intent to decieve E* and figured that if they got caught, they could claim right to cure under the agreement and just not do it again. Due to what seems to be intentional disregard for the agreement and the ambiguity of how such a breech could be rectified, I am not sure how there is anyway any court which would find in favor of Voom. This is probably something best settled out of court, but it seem E* has come to the conclusion that the best business strategy for them is to avoid a settlement and nullify the agreement.

In the event that I get 15 new National HD Channels in place of Voom, I am all for it.

Just my 2 pesos....

1+:up

I have a suggestion. Keep VOOM in a higher tier, but move it to 148 or 118.7. Those that want it can get it but it will free up capacity on their core satellites.

I love Voom and it is the thing I watch most on Dish. I especially love how they have niche programming spread out which to me increases choice and variety. Yes there is room for improvement, but there is nothing else like it or that can touch it in my opinion. I really enjoyed the foreign movies and wish they would continue.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)