Now here is a read...

Funny you mention that, NBC just announced they are dropping both due to low ratings.

Wrong. NBC was running reruns of Monk and Psych to fill-in during the spring because of the writer's strike. These were "borrowed" shows. Yes, the ratings were low for network standards, but the ratings were great for cable ratings. The shows will return this summer back on USA. Which is the #1 rated cable network.

Funny you mention that, NBC just announced they are dropping both due to low ratings.

NBC was running reruns of Monk and Psych to fill-in during the spring because of the writer's strike. Now, NBC running repeats of "The office". These were "borrowed" shows. Yes, the ratings were low for network standards, but the ratings were great for cable ratings. The shows will return this summer (16 episodes starting in July) back on USA. Which is the #1 rated cable network.

Source: Monk TV Series, Detective Monk Television Show - USA Network

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding an essential part of both the contract, as well as the assessment by SCONY Justice. According to the contract, the right to terminate under certain conditions only begins should a material breech occur twice in a year, or within 6 months of each other, as the right to cure allows for one breech, after which remediation steps are to be taken and the breech must not then recur within 6 months. Due to the annual nature of the supposed breech in question it has to be read that this breech occurs outside of the right to cure provision as the benchmark for the breech is the annual spend. It is impossible that this be violated twice in a year, thus, if you interpret the contract as you appear to be from your words above, lack of annual expediture is a deficiency that could continue ad finituum as the right to terminate could never be invoked by Echostar due to the way the cure provision is structured to include the wording about bi-annual recurrance.

So, essentially, this breech in my opinion occurs outside of both the contractual cure and termination provisions due to their limited scope, so the contract then becomes subject to interpretation, which is why it is being litigated, to determine what this interpretation should be.

Not to be an E* fanboy, but I think E* is in the right on this one. Seems to me, Voom intentionally deviated from GAAP practices to include overhead with the intent to decieve E* and figured that if they got caught, they could claim right to cure under the agreement and just not do it again. Due to what seems to be intentional disregard for the agreement and the ambiguity of how such a breech could be rectified, I am not sure how there is anyway any court which would find in favor of Voom. This is probably something best settled out of court, but it seem E* has come to the conclusion that the best business strategy for them is to avoid a settlement and nullify the agreement.

In the event that I get 15 new National HD Channels in place of Voom, I am all for it.

Just my 2 pesos....

Great summary, my reading of the contract is in agreement with your conclusions.

Wrong. NBC was running reruns of Monk and Psych to fill-in during the spring because of the writer's strike. These were "borrowed" shows. Yes, the ratings were low for network standards, but the ratings were great for cable ratings. The shows will return this summer back on USA. Which is the #1 rated cable network.

Uh, no... Not wrong.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...sion/news/e3i923e73779edeb4c5a79c388c66315e6c

Goodbye Monk and Psych (on NBC I mean) - TV Squad

Yes, they were used because of the strike, no they were not always intended to be only used as a filler. They were given a legit shot at succeeding on NBC.

Looks like they failed. J6P has spoken, the masses don't want Monk or Psych. Looks like it's a niche show. Maybe Voom can pick them up and air them without commercials...

:rolleyes: ;)

I for one have all Voom channels blocked as the worst TV being broadcast. If I want ed to watch Discovery re-runs I would go there. I do not watch MTV or other music channels as they really suck.

Rave is better than any of the other music channels except possibly MHD. (I say "possibly" because MHD censors, which I personally find repugnant.)

Is it me or is Gameplay the most worthless HD channel on Voom?

I really would rather watch paint dry in HD then someone else playing video games.

But I am not calling for Dish/Voom to remove it from the lineup as this is just my opinion and there are some that enjoy it.

Last edited:
Uh, no... Not wrong.

NBC to stop airing USA's 'Monk,' 'Psych'

Goodbye Monk and Psych (on NBC I mean) - TV Squad

Yes, they were used because of the strike, no they were not always intended to be only used as a filler. They were given a legit shot at succeeding on NBC.

Looks like they failed. J6P has spoken, the masses don't want Monk or Psych. Looks like it's a niche show. Maybe Voom can pick them up and air them without commercials...

:rolleyes: ;)

I made a few corrections. Monk and Psych are Top 10 cable shows. New episodes will be on USA this summer. Monk's season finale back in February had over 6.9 viewers! Reruns are not a fair shot against Desperate Housewives (NEW). I question whether they were given a legit shot. The shows are aired in HD on USA-HD.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

I made a few corrections. Monk and Psych are Top 10 cable shows. New episodes will be on USA this summer. Monk's season finale back in February had over 6.9 viewers! Reruns are not a fair shot against Desperate Housewives (NEW). I question whether they were given a legit shot. The shows are aired in HD on USA-HD.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

I agree they didn't get a fair shot, reruns on Sunday night.

Might have to change my opinion - maybe they claimed to be giving them a shot at primetime.

I'm glad the new seasons are coming soon. I'm a niche show watcher!

:D

This particular thread apparently has a lot of subs that don't really like VOOM and think that if it goes away, they'll get a bunch of really nifty national HD channels in its place. The main complaint they put forth about VOOM is that everything repeats. Actually, they have a point but, has anyone bothered to notice all the other channels that do the same thing?

The History channel is one of my favorites but they repeat shows al the time. Same goes for the Food Channel as well as all of the premium channels (HBO, etc.) to name a few. Virtually all of the channels repeat shows almost endlessly probably due to having to fill too much air time with too little content, which to some extent is understandable.

VOOM is just doing the same thing that ALL of the other channels are doing.

This particular thread apparently has a lot of subs that don't really like VOOM and think that if it goes away, they'll get a bunch of really nifty national HD channels in its place. The main complaint they put forth about VOOM is that everything repeats. Actually, they have a point but, has anyone bothered to notice all the other channels that do the same thing?

The History channel is one of my favorites but they repeat shows al the time. Same goes for the Food Channel as well as all of the premium channels (HBO, etc.) to name a few. Virtually all of the channels repeat shows almost endlessly probably due to having to fill too much air time with too little content, which to some extent is understandable.

VOOM is just doing the same thing that ALL of the other channels are doing.

Oh they know full well that content is repeated repeatedly on the other channels, it's just that Voom repeats programming they don't watch so they would rather have their repeats repeated on channels that repeatedly repeat all their favorite repeats.

I won't repeat that.

VOOM was and is the main reason I stayed with DISH when the HD packages came out a couple of years ago. I have seen wonderful movies on the VOOM channels that I have yet to see anywhere else; particularly in HD and commercial free. The HD premiere of "The Dinner Game" on World Cinema and discovering the truly entertaining "Chinese Ghost Story" trilogy on the Kung Fu channel are two highlights that frequently come to mind.

If VOOM goes away so does my inclination to stick with DISH over the other choices/providers. How can you folks get so excited about channels like Chiller when they censor content and add commercials? It gives me a good feeling to see the "presented uncut and in the original aspect ratio" message just before the movies start on Monstervision.

I don't think Charlie is as bad as some of you imply. I do hope he and DISH can find a way to keep VOOM available and affordable.

:clap The most important things here (as many have already said) are no commercials and uncensored. I love VOOM. And although almost no one has cheered for it, I personally think Gallery is fabulous.

I like Voom, all HD and no commercials to FF thru. I especially like Equitor, Treasure, Rush, Monster and my wife likes Ultra. The other they could do away with.

This is a sticky situation that Dish has put themselves in. Everyone wanting more HD and Voom not living up to it's obligation to provide new content. I hope Dish doesn't pull Voom and works something out with Voom. I love KungFu HD and it's one of my favorite channels on VOOM. UltraHD, FilmFestHD and MonsterHD are also great with my daughter loving to watch AnamaliaHD. Yes, there are alot of repeats but for KungfuHD, this is the only place that has this type of content. I kind of wish they would change it to AsianHD so they can have a broader range of Asian movies, not just kungfu movies. Come on Charlie...work it out!

Voom are National HD channels.

They don't have weekly fictional programs (i.e. dramas or sitcoms or "reality"), so they don't get media publicity or water cooler talk.

It's also a bit of a circular situation - they don't get any publicity, because only 12 million or so households even have access to them (let alone subscribe).

So, even if they had a "Deadliest Catch" or even a "Desperate Housewives" - no one would know about it.

It's bizarre that some people want Voom-HD replaced with "National HD" channels, and are willing to include "MGM-HD" and "Smithsonian-HD" as National HD channels, when they have exactly the sort of programming that you find on Voom...

Voom are National HD channels.

They don't have weekly fictional programs (i.e. dramas or sitcoms or "reality"), so they don't get media publicity or water cooler talk.

It's also a bit of a circular situation - they don't get any publicity, because only 12 million or so households even have access to them (let alone subscribe).

So, even if they had a "Deadliest Catch" or even a "Desperate Housewives" - no one would know about it.

It's bizarre that some people want Voom-HD replaced with "National HD" channels, and are willing to include "MGM-HD" and "Smithsonian-HD" as National HD channels, when they have exactly the sort of programming that you find on Voom...

I like Voom, But I like 3-4 channels of Voom, I would Love (if I had a vote) to see Voom Taken down into 5 channels, and that would free up 10 channels for HD, I think its a win win for both parties, plus lets face it, I dont see Voom being picked up by other companies from this point forward.

I like Voom, But I like 3-4 channels of Voom, I would Love (if I had a vote) to see Voom Taken down into 5 channels, and that would free up 10 channels for HD, I think its a win win for both parties, plus lets face it, I dont see Voom being picked up by other companies from this point forward.

To me that would be a great solution. I think we could all be happy.

Oh they know full well that content is repeated repeatedly on the other channels, it's just that Voom repeats programming they don't watch so they would rather have their repeats repeated on channels that repeatedly repeat all their favorite repeats.

I won't repeat that.

Good one 8bitbytes. lol

Note that EchoStar is suing Voom because they have too many repeats.

The lawsuit is specifically because Voom failed to spend the amount of money on operations that they promised to spend.

They are TV channels - that shortfall could only be because they failed to buy enough new programming.

That's of course why they have to repeat so much.

So, on this point, Dish Network has exactly the same opinion as you - that's why the lawsuit.

I like some of the combining channels ideas - certainly Rush and WorldSport could be combined - and some of the others as well. But, the channels are products and Voom has to do the combining themselves. If they do that, they have a smaller number of products. I personally think they would be more viable and a better sell, with less channels, but they may not feel that way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)