Now let's get truthful about AVATAR.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Never saw in the theater. No 3D. Is it worth $20.00 being it's "bare bones" in terms of extras? Well, extras nor not. Is it a GOOD movie...or just hyped?

Last edited:
I have very mixed feelings about this movie. A rather weak plot and acting, and at the same time a spectacular visual experience!

I don't know if it's worth buying, but it is definitly worth watching!

I do not plan on buying the BD unless it gets really really really cheap. There are some fun concepts in the movie, but the plot was boring. It was all about the 3D. One cannot believe how well the 3D was done.

This all reminds me of Blade Runner...great "film", lousy "movie".

I guess dfergie and I are the two lonely true scifi fanatics here. I went to BB and picked it up and stuck it in the computer to see how big it was. It is a 47Gb movie so extras will have to be on a second disk.

We ( and my wife) saw the movie twice in the theater in 3D, and loved it both times. It was the fascination with 3D and the fact that we both loved the story. But then we are Star Trek and Star Wars enthusiasts. I can see this with sequels that will be challenging to do.

As I stated before, having the ability to rent it in my combo pass at Blockbuster, I won't be buying this time around. I will buy the Fall release but still will look for the sales.

My wife and I are looking forward to seeing it in 2D on the 120" screen tonight.

BTW- disappointing is that this version is only in DTS 5.1

I hope the Fall release is in 7.1

I saw it twice in IMAX and once in 2D... I cannot see 3D so it's not even an issue for me but I've already picked up my copy. It is well worth $20 and I'm sure that when the reviews come out it will be the standard for what BD should look and sound like

I actually watched it twice: first in 2D, then in 3D. I enjoyed it both times. The 3D version was great, but even the 2D version was visually stunning! In fact, I was much more into the movie when I watched it for the first time in 2D. The second time I was thinking more about 3D effects and CG.

But I still think it has a weak plot and the acting was average – this was rather surprising for a movie of such caliber and coming from James Cameron. I truly expected more.

I think if you approach it as a cartoon you will really enjoy it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)