Now let's get truthful about AVATAR.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My wife and I watched it again last night. I think I'm done with Avatar viewings for awhile.
2 times in the theater in 3D and 2 times at home theater. I'm good until the extra features version release.

Now back to Star Trek movie series. I'm up to #7.

Watched it last night. Movie as far as plot and story was so so. I do agree that if you have a home theater system, this is the movie to show it off. The Dark Knight is still the one to show off blacks but Avatar is good for a really big screen that will give you plenty of pop.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have not seen the film; would never go see anything in 3D at the theatre. It either makes me nauseous or gives me a headache. And I do not believe the 3D at home thing is really going to take off.

Still not certain when I will either rent or buy this one; probably would not buy until there was a very good deal out. Just was NEVER impressed by the previews or the storyline. I do love science fiction, but I am choosy.

Mike

I find it amazing that so many scifi fans have attitudes like yours. You are not alone. But then when Star Wars came out it was panned by the Star Trek devotees. It took years before this group began to accept the story.

As for politics, I didn't see it as political but more so stereotypical personalities exaggerated. For me, this added humor.

Earlier, I thought meStevo was joking about the underwater sequel but I saw a short news piece where Cameron stated he is considering such a theme but hasn't written any story yet.

Mike

I find it amazing that so many scifi fans have attitudes like yours. You are not alone. But then when Star Wars came out it was panned by the Star Trek devotees. It took years before this group began to accept the story.

As for politics, I didn't see it as political but more so stereotypical personalities exaggerated. For me, this added humor.

Earlier, I thought meStevo was joking about the underwater sequel but I saw a short news piece where Cameron stated he is considering such a theme but hasn't written any story yet.

I have limited time to devote my energies -- Star Trek, Star Wars, they are the canon ( Tolkien, and from my youth Terry Brooks' Shannara - yeah, I know it is a Tolkien rip-off, but when I read it, I had not read Tolkien - serve the same for fantasy) for me; I will read and watch new stuff when it looks interesting to me, but Avatar just didn't. It looked like every other two-bit sci-fi movie out there with a substandard plot, and just did not appeal to me. Of course, most of the focus was on 3D and since my views on that are totally driven by how it gives me headaches and makes me sick, so that made it even less appealing.

Its not that I am a sci-fi snob, it just did not look like something i wanted to spend 2 1/2 hours in a theatre to watch. Now that it is out on BD, at some point i'll watch it, but not in a rush.

I decided, after seeing all the pq reviews, that this one would be a good one to have around. Picked it up today and gonna watch it tonight with somE jiffy pop.

Finished it last night... I paused a few times and when walking within 4' of the 110" picture in my BT, it looked very good (with the light on) and from 14.5' back is stunning...

OK, it LOOKS great - I get that -- but where does the story rate for you?

Don- do you see what I meant with the ending? The last couple seconds, Cameron left his options open for the sequel without stating there would be one.

Is the story good, great or boring? I recall from years ago a literature course I had, that the making of a great scifi story was how detailed it was. If aliens are involved, the sign of a well thought out story was the detail about the alien race. An example of this is language. In Avatar, the people of Pandora had a sophisticated language to include the writing. They had a society with organization, heritage, and customs. Look at Alien and Predator, they had no storyline with this level of detail.

The movie itself was boring and extremely predictable, however the visuals are amazing.

It is worth seeing... ONCE.
Which is why it's on my Netflix queue, and not on my list to buy.

Wife didn't want to see it in the theater and I have going alone, so Netflix will at least let me see it on blu-ray before thinking about buying it.

yes I know Netflix won't have it for another month, but I've waited this long, what's another month.

After seeing the IMAX 3D I had already decided I wasn't going to buy the Blu-ray because leaving the theater I felt so-so about the movie story (except for the visualization of the film which I thought was stunning). But, when I got a Blu-ray sale email this past weekend from Amazon that reduced the price to $16.99 I ordered it ($16.99 was less than I paid to see it in the theater).

The movie itself was boring and extremely predictable, however the visuals are amazing.

It is worth seeing... ONCE.

My exact thoughts... I watched it on BluRay this weekend. I had mixed reviews on the 2 other blurays I've watched on my new player. This one took the cake! Awesome quality! Beautiful.

But I was bored with the movie for the last 45 minutes. You knew exactly what was going to happen.

Definitely a movie to show off the big screen but that's about it....

What does it say about a movie that many say they only would watch in 3d? For me it's always about a good story , not special effects. That's why the movie " A Night to Remember " was better then the 1997 movie Titanic.

3D jaded a lot of people and they just don't think it can compare to the Blu-Ray release and aren't giving it a chance, I was expecting to be underwhelmed when we tossed it in our PS3, and ended up very wrong. This has to be the best looking Blu-Ray I've ever watched (and my wife has now watched it again).

I think without the distraction of 3D you can appreciate a lot of the visual effects work even more.

We enjoyed it. Never did see it in the theater. I was planning on waiting on my new tv and trying out the 2D to 3D conversion and comparing. Couldn't quite wait.

S~

3D jaded a lot of people and they just don't think it can compare to the Blu-Ray release and aren't giving it a chance, I was expecting to be underwhelmed when we tossed it in our PS3, and ended up very wrong. This has to be the best looking Blu-Ray I've ever watched (and my wife has now watched it again).

I think without the distraction of 3D you can appreciate a lot of the visual effects work even more.
vfx & sfx were awesome in this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts