Now that Voom is dying.. what will happen to UniversalHD, TNTHD, and ESPN2HD

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Seriously I don't think anyone's showing these channels except Voom and 1 or 2 cable networks. I wonder if NBC is going to give up on their HD channel.. what a shame.

UHD is carried by D* and Cable already.
TNTHD is carried by E* and Cable also.
ESPN2HD was never carried by V* but it is carried by Adelphia and D* is supposed to have it sometime in the future. Those channels will continue to function normally.

I have it from pretty reliable sources that Comcast will begin rolling out TNTHD and UniversalHD over the next three months.

Great so if I want all the channels Voom had sort of, I need cable, D* and E*.. here's to hoping cable can add HDNET, UHD, and TNTHD (Comcast S. Florida) soon.

IF E* would just pick up UHD, I'd be happy. I don't watch TNTHD because of commercials and their stretch-0-vision (except for a few basketball games).

DarrellP said:
IF E* would just pick up UHD, I'd be happy. I don't watch TNTHD because of commercials and their stretch-0-vision (except for a few basketball games).

If Dish Network would carry UHD I'd be there in a heartbeat with a 942 installation. I get all my locals over OTA, but am signing up for Charter cable at a cheap deal including an HD-DVR (but only 2 HD locals!). Charter in Upstate SC does include UHD and TNT-HD.

CDH.

Dvlos said:
Great so if I want all the channels Voom had sort of, I need cable, D* and E*.. here's to hoping cable can add HDNET, UHD, and TNTHD (Comcast S. Florida) soon.

It has been posted at AVS by the people in the know that TNT-HD will be added to Comcast ( systems that are ready for more HD-bandwidth) around the 24th of this month and Universal within the next 60 days.

No luck on HD-Net on Comcast, I think it is too much money per sub that Mr.Cuban is asking for ( HD-Net/HD-Movies together is $1.10 per sub and Universal is .40 cents per sub)

Time Warner is supposedly working to pickup ESPN2HD in addition to the others mentioned here already existing.

-jbl

i hope you are right

Amphicar770 said:
I have it from pretty reliable sources that Comcast will begin rolling out TNTHD and UniversalHD over the next three months.

because i just singed up with comcast

i will be with voom until the end

bruce said:
It has been posted at AVS by the people in the know that TNT-HD will be added to Comcast ( systems that are ready for more HD-bandwidth) around the 24th of this month and Universal within the next 60 days.

No luck on HD-Net on Comcast, I think it is too much money per sub that Mr.Cuban is asking for ( HD-Net/HD-Movies together is $1.10 per sub and Universal is .40 cents per sub)

I can't imagine how much money Mr. Cuban is losing at that price so charging less isn't likely to help him out any. I would say UHD is priced about right and provides value to me about equal to what I am being charged. I would pay more than I am paying for the two HDNet channels which provide most programming in OAR and some movies not available anywhere else, including DVD.

Chris

Brighthouse in Central Florida has INHD and HDNET... lucky them.

bruce said:

In the Comcast Portland thread at AVS someone posted an e-mail received from a local Comcast-insider which basically confirms that the TNT-HD deal is for real. But unfortunately, there is no bandwidth in Portland to add it "anytime soon".
The interesting thing about the e-mail is that it also mentions what is Comcast position on UHD and HDNet. It says that Comcast is very interested on getting UHD. However, they don't see the value of adding HDNet, since they believe that the content is very similar to inHD.

Chris Gerhard said:
I can't imagine how much money Mr. Cuban is losing at that price so charging less isn't likely to help him out any.

I look at this way for Mr.Cuban, Comcast has well over one million HD customers now.

$1.10 (.55 cents each channel ) per sub times 0 with no Comcast deal = 0.00 a month extra

Compromise a little say:
$1.00 (.50 cents each channel ) per sub times a million with a Comcast deal = $1,000,000 a month extra or $12,000,000 a year extra, a lot better then nothing.

Who else carries StarzHD and CinemaxHD? Just cable, right? I've enjoyed LotR and other films on StarzHD, and watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' last night on CinemaxHD...going to miss those channels, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)