Now that VOOM is dead, who will be your provider?

Man, you people without VOom have no idea how much this sucks. Even my Sd channels on V looked awesome on my Sammy DLP. I have 31 HD channels right now. THis sucks

What are you going to do now?

OK,

Since so many think the service is on life support, I would like to know what the rest of you are going to do:

(1) Nothing. I am hanging around until the signal goes away.

(2) I am happy with OTA. I am going to take my time to figure this out.

(3) Directv all the way (despite the cramming of five million HDTV channels per transponder and completely over compressed SD channels). Please tell me this is not the case anymore.

(4) Dish Dish Dish. Why?

(5) Cable company.

Thanks for your input!
Carlos

I am SO BUMMED :no about losing Voom :down :down :down :down I don't even know what to say or what to smash.

I totally disagree with anybody who said Voom's problem was it had no content. VOOM WAS FINALLY TV WORTH WATCHING. TV wasn't called "the boob tube" for nothing. I learned so much about great art on Gallery HD. I loved Equator, and the documentaries and foreign films on Cinema10, and the new direction they were going with Film Fest avant garde films, and I really appreciated having a service without TV commercials for cars, medicines, fast food, etc. I also love Discovery HD, but I am not about to get another service for ONE channel.

Do I want to subscribe to another service, mostly SD, with TV commercials up the wazoo? No way, not even if they paid me.

I will go back to renting an occasional film at 480p :down and reading more. Maybe this is for the best anyhow.

I definitely "lost a friend on life support" here. :river

I am so bummed, and after visiting this great SatelliteGuys forum every day for almost a whole year (since February 04), this is my FINAL POST in this forum.....

Scott, and Sean, and Ilya, you guys are a CLASS ACT! :bow Best of luck to everyone! :wave Sadly, we won't BeVuMin anymore.

OK

So far here are the results of my research for San Diego:

Directv:
HBOHD, Showtime HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, UHD, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $1000

Dish:
HBOHD, Showtime HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, TNTHD, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $550

Cable (Cox):
HBOHD, Showtime HD, CINEMAX HD, ESPN HD, InHD, InHD 2, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $9/month

Compared to VOOM this is all a joke and all of them end up costing more... How could VOOM fail at selling this service?

Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

Please tell me there is more than these crappy alternatives. Please tell me that I missed channels somewhere. Network feeds of the same stations I get OTA don't count!

OK

Directv:
HBOHD, Showtime HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, UHD, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $1000

Dish:
HBOHD, Showtime HD, ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, TNTHD, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $550

Cable (Cox):
HBOHD, Showtime HD, CINEMAX HD, ESPN HD, InHD, InHD 2, Discovery HD, +OTAs, DVR $9/month

Compared to VOOM this is all a joke and all of them end up costing more... How could VOOM fail at selling this service?

Please tell me there is more than these crappy alternatives. Please tell me that I missed channels somewhere. Network feeds of the same stations I get OTA don't count!

I still have the Dish HD Pack, so I will wait it out and see what happens.
Regarding your Dish Dish Dish. Why? I agree thier SD sucks the big wad, but nobody has the PQ of their HD, if you don't believe me, I invite you to my house for an audition.

I'll just trade my 2 Voom boxes for 2 Dish 811's, as I still have the Dish HD Pack and I can get 811's for $25 and it does NOT require some jerk-ass installer to show up, Dish mails them to me and I install them.

I'll stick with cable until something better comes along. They have more HD channels than either D* or E* (all at full 19.4Mbps bandwidth), and I'm renting an HD DVR for only $5 a month.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I am SO BUMMED :no about losing Voom :down :down :down :down I don't even know what to say or what to smash.

I totally disagree with anybody who said Voom's problem was it had no content. VOOM WAS FINALLY TV WORTH WATCHING. TV wasn't called "the boob tube" for nothing. I learned so much about great art on Gallery HD. I loved Equator, and the documentaries and foreign films on Cinema10, and the new direction they were going with Film Fest avant garde films, and I really appreciated having a service without TV commercials for cars, medicines, fast food, etc. I also love Discovery HD, but I am not about to get another service for ONE channel.

Do I want to subscribe to another service, mostly SD, with TV commercials up the wazoo? No way, not even if they paid me.

I will go back to renting an occasional film at 480p :down and reading more. Maybe this is for the best anyhow.

I definitely "lost a friend on life support" here. :river

I am so bummed, and after visiting this great SatelliteGuys forum every day for almost a whole year (since February 04), this is my FINAL POST in this forum.....

Scott, and Sean, and Ilya, you guys are a CLASS ACT! :bow Best of luck to everyone! :wave Sadly, we won't BeVuMin anymore.
I'll just ditto 90% of everything you said. I'll stick with VOOM and post on this Forum until they turn off the lights, then I'm outta here. I am not going back to Adelphia Cable and I have never subscribed to D* or E* and have no desire to do so until they offer at least 40 HD channels. I have two UHF antennas and receive network programming from 4 DMAs...so I'll be going back to OTA for the near future. This is an easy choice since the NHL is on strike.

:( :river :( :river :( :river

For me it is a double bummer. Voom was to be installed today but Installs Inc screwed up the date and it got pushed to Feb 01. If they still come out on that date, not likely, I may still go ahead and leave it running till it goes dark.

I do have E* now and their HD offerings are the weakest of any service out there. I was planning to drop them after I got VOOM even though I would pay a termination fee.

I suppose I will wait another month or two to see if E* announces any new HD plans. If not, COmcast has a great "DUmp the DIsh" offer going on and I can get more channels than E* with more HD for less $$$.

soledade said:
OK

Directv:

Dish:

Cable (Cox):

You can eliminate many of the D* "HD" channels unless you accept 1280x1080i as HD.

DarrellP said:
I still have the Dish HD Pack, so I will wait it out and see what happens.
Regarding your Dish Dish Dish. Why? I agree thier SD sucks the big wad, but nobody has the PQ of their HD, if you don't believe me, I invite you to my house for an audition.
Darrel, How cheap can I get into Dish?

I think I might forget about HD as a paying subscription and rent or buy more DVD's to feed my HTPC and Sony G70 projector. Here in Indy we have about 17 HD broadcast channels so the networks are not a problem. And that I have 6 different HD OTA tunner boxes I am not in danger of loosing that source. I still have Dish and subscribe to AT 180 and the HD pak but depending on what Dish does with Rainbow 1 I may tell Dish to shove it up their orbital slot. Maybe read more books?

vurbano said:
You can eliminate many of the D* "HD" channels unless you accept 1280x1080i as HD.

You keep saying this maybe you should check your set-up.

I can tell you that NFL Sunday Ticket HD games looked just as good as OTA games did. Now my local abc WPVI multi-casts so ABC-HD on D* actually looks better. And last night I watched NFL Network game of the week and it could not of looked better.

Now I am not saying they are perfect far from it, like not adding TNT or ESPN2. And I did drop 800.00 on a HD Tivo, but you pay for you get. Now with all the Mpeg 4 stuff comming out. It may become obsolete. D* atleast has a plan for HD Locals.

If you like NFL I would get D* if not I would go cable because of the low up front costs, and HD locals now.

I'll probably just go back to what I had before Voom -- nothing. None of the other providers seemed to be worth the money to me... and then Voom came along. But who knows? I'll see what they're offering.

soledade said:
OK

Directv:

Dish:

Cable (Cox):

You forgot 4dtv
Sub's: HBO hd east and west, Starz HD east and west, Encore HD east and west, Discovery HD, Showtime HD west.

Free: Wealth tv HD, NETV PBS HDTV.

TheTimm said:
I'll probably just go back to what I had before Voom -- nothing. None of the other providers seemed to be worth the money to me... and then Voom came along. But who knows? I'll see what they're offering.
Other than OTA, I see no compelling reason to sign-up with cable, D* or E* at present.

Cox in Hampton Roads-VA gets CBS, PBS, Discovery, UHD, ESPN, IND1, and IND2 with their extended teir HD Service. Add they have HBO and Showtime HD as premium channels. They also have a HD-DVR of leasing too.

hmmm..... This thread seems familar to another one already on here... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts