Now this is cool - iPad app Live Streaming

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From my testing today, you can watch certain on-demand content - if subscribed to the network of course (HBO, Max, Starz, Encore, Sony Movie, and Audience Network). It is pretty limited, much like the on-demand on Directv. It is NOT anywhere near the content of HBO-GO.

There is also several pay-per-view movies available. $5.99 to stream a movie on the ipad is a bit steep.

As far as I can tell, you can still NOT stream live channels if you are not on your local wifi network.

It is a step forward on the Directv Everywhere concept, but still a ways to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    740.2 KB · Views: 141
I was very excited today when I saw the release notes for the app update, but after installing... let's just say, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Unless you have premium channels, you can barely watch anything away from home. Live TV is still a no go away from home (I also tried to be sneaky with VPN, but it knew). Only on-demand content is available away from home. And the only non-premium on-demand content available is the Audience network *yawn*. It has potential, but at least for me, nothing I can get excited about yet.

i got excited too when i saw the notes to the last update. like jay said its a step forward but they got a long way to go.

So I finally got more info about directv everywhere, ( I should have posted this at work so I had the dates)
But it is confirmed! Live streaming to IPads, iPhones, androids, PC and Mac.
:D
I wanna say the end of this month, but I'll double check tomorrow and post the exact dates.

I know the iPad date is set for launch, iPhone, android, pc and Mac are still TBA.
But I'm pretty excited. DTV is even setting up a special tech support department for it.

From another thread, OSD is a Directv CSR if memory serves me right, so this would indicate that live streaming out-of-home is fairly close.

They are much closer to having a quality product with Directv Everywhere than I thought, though only on ipad at this point.

As OSD indicated, they plan other platforms but are not identifying timelines.

As far as timeline - I'm still waiting for an ipad app for the Nomad device I bought several months ago, as are many Android users. :(

Here's the current list:
Code:
A&E
AMC
Animal Planet
AUDIENCE Network
Biography Channel
Bravo
BTN
Cartoon Network
CNBC
CNN
Crime & Investigation
Discovery
Food Network
Fox Business Network
Fox News
Fox Soccer
Fuel TV
FX
Golf Channel
GolTV
Hallmark Channel
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HGTV
History
Lifetime
MGM
MLB Network
msnbc
Nat Geo
NBA.TV
NFL Network
NHL Network
Planet Green
Science
Smithsonian Channel
Sony Movie Channel
Speed
SyFy
TBS
Tennis Channel
The Weather Channel
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
Universal
Univision
USA
Velocity
Versus (NBC Sports Ntwk)

From another thread, OSD is a Directv CSR if memory serves me right, so this would indicate that live streaming out-of-home is fairly close.
Away-from-home is less misleading than out-of-home. Out-of-home might imply that the streaming is coming from your home.

What I would really like to be able to do is play programs off my playlist on my iPad.

Bogy said:
What I would really like to be able to do is play programs off my playlist on my iPad.

The channel list is not ready to live stream yet away from home network.

From my testing today, you can watch certain on-demand content - if subscribed to the network of course (HBO, Max, Starz, Encore, Sony Movie, and Audience Network). It is pretty limited, much like the on-demand on Directv. It is NOT anywhere near the content of HBO-GO.

There is also several pay-per-view movies available. $5.99 to stream a movie on the ipad is a bit steep.

As far as I can tell, you can still NOT stream live channels if you are not on your local wifi network.

It is a step forward on the Directv Everywhere concept, but still a ways to go.

Wonder what it would do if you would VPN into your home network? Hmm... too easy to setup a VPN for almost nothing these days.

When it does become a fully implemented "Everywhere" option, I will bet anyone anything that they will start requiring a fee. If so, I will just keep using my Slingbox which does not come with a fee.

If you want this feature now, you need something like a Slingbox. DIRECTV has offered a roadmap in the past where they hope to provide an equivalent capability some time late next year or early 2014.

Wonder what it would do if you would VPN into your home network? Hmm... too easy to setup a VPN for almost nothing these days.
Some have tried this and had marginal success. The problem with VPN is latency and if they check for that, they may be able to tell.

Of course if you don't have a VPN enabled router, it is all kind of academic.

gigahurtz said:
Didn't the recent update to the app allow you to watch live TV streaming from anywhere?

No. Only certain programs. No live streaming anywhere yet.

Some have tried this and had marginal success. The problem with VPN is latency and if they check for that, they may be able to tell.

Of course if you don't have a VPN enabled router, it is all kind of academic.

VPN no longer works with the DirecTV iPad app. It detects that you are connected via VPN and won't allow it to work.

As has been noted, the "Everywhere" part when you are outside of your home network is very limited. Since I don't have HBO etc., Audience and Sony Channel are the only options. Using the iPad as a TV at home is nice, especially when I am out on the deck. Except even there the channels are limited. No locals, and no RSNs. And nothing on the playlist. It's a step. Babysteps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts