Now this is cool - iPad app Live Streaming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh is there another update for this app?

I won't update, but you never know when they will make it a forced update like the last time.

Last time as soon as the app opened, it was broken with a message telling me to update it. All you could do is read the message then close the app.

Now we'll have to turn to the iphone dev community. There's two options here:
1. A mobile substrate patch that intercepts all jailbreak detection routines and returns a normal status to the application. This would fix ALL apps with JB detection.

2. A virtual machine, or way to run an unjailbroken ios within itself. Within that virtual machine you could install only the picky apps like this one. Heck, then I could play with ios 5.0.1 on my ipad 2, rather than keeping it at 4.3 (due to no untethered JB available yet).

I think option 1 is the best route as it uses less resources than loading up a whole new copy of iOS within a protected memory area. Additionally if Apple chooses to incorperate jailbreak detection into the boot process using simular methods than DirecTV for Ipad , Cablevision, Time Warner, etc... this low level device driver could intercept those function calls and return normal non-jailbroken expected results to the applications.

One day IOS 6 or whatever... it could say "IOS does not support jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and do a restore". If it does that AT BOOT, it effectively stops jailbreaking because your device is a giant electronic paperweight. THIS is why devs need to be working on a low level device driver solution to the problem. If they can detect a jailbroken device today, it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Well they done it. 1.3.4 now prompts that an update is required even though we all know 1.3.4 works just fine (it did yesterday).

DirecTV officially has no iPad app now in my book and that makes them no better than the local cable co. Might as well consider them again now that there's one less differentiating feature.

I really like the Direct iPad app and since I never saw the benefit to me of jailbreaking my iPad, it works great!

But all this stuff is just weird. With D*, they allow live streaming on the iPad and streaming from your DVR to your PC on the twitchy as hell Direct2PC program. With Dish, it is literally the opposite.

Found a patch in the Cydia store that allows us to access this APP on JB iPad. It is called, xCon. It is an APP that circumvents the code that checks to see if the iDevice has been jailbroken or not. This works on more than just the DirecTV APP. I just installed it and it does work

More info here: Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - [How To] Tired of App Store Applications Being Mean to You Because You're Jailbroken?

Just installed xCon. It works great.

now i wish i had kept but i so love the mac...............:)

the dtv app is also available for the iphone as i downloaded it thursday!

Which app are you referring to? The only dtv app I have for iphone is for scheduling recordings. You have to purchase additional hardware in order to do streaming.

DirecTV just updated their APP so it no longer works with JB iPad and xCon does not work either.

Just found the work-around. I don't want to make it public so if you want a link to the latest workaround, then PM me

Doesn't DirecTV realize they are fighting a losing battle? Each time their is a fix the fix occurs faster than the previous time. This is the first time the fix came out hours after the update

Last edited:
Another forced update by directv has once again detected jailbreak. Looks like D* is declaring war on this :/

I just used 1.3.5 yesterday and it worked fine. Why would they force an update so close to iTunes holiday shutdown?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Id love to be able to run a virtualized iOS instance on my iPad. Then I could test new beta versions of iOS, unjailbroken of course, and I'd just run DirecTV in that VM.

I can do it on my PC. I have Win7 but in VMware I run osx, WinXP, ubuntu and another win7 instance. None of VMs would be aware of a modification done to the host system. They are isolated in their own little world.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I never updated to 1.3.6. I still have 1.3.5 and it still worked as of Sunday night into Monday Morning. I really didn't use it yesterday. Too much Christmas preparation.

Hopefully they patch 1.3.7 to work around the JB protection this week.

Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - Developers Rush to Submit Apps Before App Store Freeze

DirecTV won't be able to release an update for another week then, and even once they submit it, it has to go through apple approval process, which likely will be behind schedule because of the week off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)