Now this is cool - iPad app Live Streaming

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott Greczkowski said:
I wonder how long it takes for someone to figure out how to stream the channels from anywhere...

That might be illegal, but then again maybe not.

Yep. Thinking the same thing. Someone will (hopefully) figure it out. Until then, this and Nomad are useless to me.

It checks network performance. If you VPN to home, I hope you have a FAST upload.

Upon waking the iPad up from sleep, go into the DirecTV app prior to the wifi handshaking and you'll get a message about network performance is too poor to do streaming video.

It checks network performance. If you VPN to home, I hope you have a FAST upload.

5mb upload so it should be fast enough.

This is a moot point as it will not work. The application checks and sees you are on a VPN connection and will not allow the streaming.

Attachments

• dtv.jpg
    dtv.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 177
I wonder how long it takes for someone to figure out how to stream the channels from anywhere...

That might be illegal, but then again maybe not.

It maybe violating DirecTVs terms, but how is it illegal if a Slingbox can do the same and that is not illegal?

Don't forget about Welcome - Orb I can already stream a pre set channel to my phone or any computer with it, if I invest in a IR Blaster I'd be able to remotely change channels too.

Thanks for the link Scott.

I commented on the article there as well.

I think this is just the beginning of Anti-Jailbreak once and for all. Who knows, the next version of IOS might do jailbreak detection at boot up. Maybe the whole device will be locked out with "Please restore from iTunes" if it detects a Jailbreak. That would at least slow down casual jailbreakers who don't like to tweak or can't figure out ways around it.

I say if I purchased the device, I should be able to JB it, as long as I'm not doing anything illegal like stealing credit card numbers out of the air or something... it should be OK.

I think DirecTV may have put a simple True / False value for Jailbreak Detection in their app so they can TEST how well their Jailbreak detection works. Possibly in development if they made a boo-boo, they could at least disable it and work around it - doing more testing and tweaking before turning it on again. Who's to say once they feel that their Jailbreak detection is perfect, they don't just bake it right into the app - not make it a configurable On / Off state. I'm pretty sure TWC and iO from Cablevision have their checks baked right into the app. Some patches were made and for TWC I think there is a cracked .deb file you can install. Cablevision also has a file to install. DirecTV's seems simple to just edit an existing file. Though that still "slows down" the casual users who may not have iFile or any other file editor, or even the knowledge to know what file and where that file is to edit.

But folks, I think this is just the beginning. It's going to be a wild cat and mouse game from here.

It is my thinking (and I could be 100% wrong here) that the thing that concerns DIRECTV and more importantly their copyright holders (ie prgrammers) is not people watching TV on their Jailbreaked iDevices, they are concerned of what happens from there and that means watching those secure internet streams from anywhere when your NOT home.

I can understand that way of thinking and respect that. I am sure DIRECTV does not want the project to get squashed by programmers before it even has a chance to get off the ground. I can see why DIRECTV wants to try stoping basic jailbreaking from those who dont want to modify / reverse engineer the software for use outside the house. If they say no to jailbreaking outright then it shows the programmers they are trying to keep the gates closed.

If you have a jailbroken phone and are modifying the file to use this program to access the programming you are paying for in your house then Isay god bless you go for it, but if you are jailbroken are are tying to get this program to do something more that this program is not supposed to do then this is not the place to discuss it and we will not support or allow those type of conversations, this is out of respect to both DIRECTV and the programmers who must work to protect their content.

As long as it is working on my JB device, then I am happy. I just need to be aware of future updates to this APP. Make sure not to install the update until I know it will work on a JB device

It is my thinking (and I could be 100% wrong here) that the thing that concerns DIRECTV and more importantly their copyright holders (ie prgrammers) is not people watching TV on their Jailbreaked iDevices, they are concerned of what happens from there and that means watching those secure internet streams from anywhere when your NOT home.

I can understand that way of thinking and respect that. I am sure DIRECTV does not want the project to get squashed by programmers before it even has a chance to get off the ground. I can see why DIRECTV wants to try stoping basic jailbreaking from those who dont want to modify / reverse engineer the software for use outside the house. If they say no to jailbreaking outright then it shows the programmers they are trying to keep the gates closed.

If you have a jailbroken phone and are modifying the file to use this program to access the programming you are paying for in your house then Isay god bless you go for it, but if you are jailbroken are are tying to get this program to do something more that this program is not supposed to do then this is not the place to discuss it and we will not support or allow those type of conversations, this is out of respect to both DIRECTV and the programmers who must work to protect their content.
I completely agree with everything you stated.

I understand why Direct may have done this and I agree that they have the right to modify their own APP the way they want (including restricting its use on JB devices). I also agree that JB also have the right to JB their own device and use the content they pay for within the same restrictions of non JB. As long as one is using the APP as it is intended (with their own account in their own home on their own device), JB or not, then I do not see a problem with it; in fact I encourage them to do so, as I did

You also see that TWC has done the same thing in the past and now there is a Cydia patch called FakeTWC to get past it. There is also a modification for the iO (Cablevision) app as well.

The ONLY reason I need to modify the DTV ipad app is just to ensure it works for my legitimate usage. My iPad is Jailbroken for other tweaks that I enjoy. Now the fact that DirecTV for Ipad does not even LAUNCH is a killer. I could care less about streaming video (If I wanted that REAL bad, I'd get a Slingbox or Vulkano). I just want to maintain the same functionality I had in 1.2.6 which was remote control, guide navigation and telling things to record.

I've looked all over in iFile for a similar fix for the DirecTV Nomad app, but I have yet to find anything.

I guess this is why live streaming for these channels is not available for DirecTV2PC. On a PC you have full access to it's file system. On a closed iOS device there is no file system access. I guess I doubt streaming would ever be available on a Mac or PC, despite other streaming services work just fine (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.)

ANYWAY....

I'm glad to see DirecTV have enough bandwidth to stream in the first place. I hope this leads to more IPTV like Video On Demand services... not just to iPads but to the receivers as well. It's a real PITA that you can't do VOD on a regular HD box. Their download first then play model is outdated. Cable VOD is so easy because you find what you want, click play and right there it is. We use DirecTV VOD FAR LESS because you click on something and then boom it goes away. You have to exit VOD and go into the Playlist to see it. While I don't mind the feature of queuing up a bunch of content to watch later, there is a bit of a convenience factor lost if you want to watch a short clip RIGHT NOW (like a music video for example).

Yet DirecTV only has HDCP on PPV channels...

When I had Charter Cable the SA box had HDCP on everything and disabled component whenever HDMI was connected.

If I'm reading this correctly, you need to be on the same LAN as your DirecTV receiver for this to work with a non-jb device? Well, that could be bypassed without needing jb using a VPN setup, your home connection would need enough bandwidth to stream the content in and out at the same time though.

I find it funny that they block access to the only group that knows how to get aground the block. I would be willing to bet that pretty much every JB iPad with the DirecTV APP can now use the APP

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Thats because Nomad requires hardware to run and not many people have the hardware. (Especially those who could fix it to work on a JB'ed phone)

An update of this APP came out today. Before I do the update does anyone know if this update will wipe out the tweak that allows JB iPads to use the APP?

Just updated and it will again blocked JB devices. The DirecTV iPad Patch sill works to fix this so the update is OK to do if you install the patch. The original way of changing the one text line from true to false will no longer work on the update

Just updated and it will again blocked JB devices. The DirecTV iPad Patch sill works to fix this so the update is OK to do if you install the patch. The original way of changing the one text line from true to false will no longer work on the update
Do you know what the update is for? Is it just to update the blocking for jb devices?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts