NTSC from Euro SCART sockets

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Hi,

I hope someone here can help me! I live in Japan (NTSC) and have been given three satellite receivers while in the UK this week (PAL). Two of the receivers have a setting for switching the UHF output to NTSC and one (Echostar DVR7000) doesn't.

I'm considering lugging them back to Japan to use there.

What I want to do is hook them up to my TV (a Toshiba LCD) via the RGB available on the SCART sockets. Now with RGB my understanding is that the color system isn't an issue but what about the frame rate? My DVD player will play PAL discs but unhelpfully supplies a 50Hz RGB signal which the TV won't sync to.

I'm sure some folks here must have tried this with European models before. Will the RGB on the Scart match my 60Hz TV or is it likely to be in 50Hz? Or does it depend on the broadcaster?

If it's likely to be 50Hz, is there an easy and cheap way around this?

Martyn

You would need some sort of scanline converter in order to take the PAL SCART/RGB output and convert it to NTSC

You can also look into getting a PAL or Multi-system television (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)

I am surprised that your LCD television isnt multi-system actually... most of those can autodetect 50/60hz and proper color carriers.

most of our european TV systems have NTSC and PAL.
Sometimes the satellite receiver needs an update for NTSC (e.g. NOKIA's MediaMaster 9200/9500/9600 => DVB2000).
Topfield's PVRs have NTSC and PAL inside and it works (CBS on 16°East, NBC/MSNBC on 15°West, Israel-feeds etc.)
And my SONY TV can show NTSC over SCART, RGB and the terrestrial/cable tuner.

SCART socket

I have multiple receivers with scart sockets that I used in Europe, brought them to the USA and have used them to receive sat signals here in the USA. The Scart will output the type of signal received. I have received and outputted both NTSC and PAL on various sats thru the Scarts. Think of them as just a combo A/V output, and make sure you have the adapters for Scart-to-Yellow/Red/White RCA Jacks.

The UHF output is another story. The composite signal being sent in PAL will not have the Audio/Video in the right place for a NTSC TV to decode it. This will give you a Black and White rolling picture on a NTSC TV.

Generally the receivers will default to PAL and you will not be able to view it through the UHF connector, so hook up from the Scart-to-RCA to the A/V input on the TV and you will get a picture and sound. If the picture is B/W during setup, it should switch to color as it passes the sat signal to your TV.

I have not only done this with digital receivers but also brought new analog receivers from Germany and used them to receive analog in color in the USA.

I won't go so far as to say that it will always work, but it has always worked for me!

Incidentally, most receivers today will reflect the input voltage as 90-140 AC switching automatically, but I know of several that specifiy only 200-240 AC but will autoswitch to 110 (most of the Nokia -dboxes included).

Chuck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)