Number of D12 receivers on a DSWM 13

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up to 13 from what I understand ...

But, more importantly why would you want to with the SD transition coming this year?

The SD only D12 will be obsolete soon ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: raoul5788
Up to 13 from what I understand ...

But, more importantly why would you want to with the SD transition coming this year?

The SD only D12 will be obsolete soon ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Because I got a hotel I’m supposed to upgrade.

They had a fire, got guests moving back in and I don’t have the HD equipment yet.

I was about to say that, but then thought Stuart said it was actually the DSWM-30 multiswitch that the D12 wouldn't work at all with.

It might have been, I can't remember for sure, but if it doesn't work on the DSWM30 it seems unlikely it would work with other DSWM switches.

What was lost in the fire if the D12's were not?

I think what he's saying is that everything was lost in the fire, and they have "HD equipment" (maybe a COM3000 headend, since I assume H25s would be easy to come by) on order, but he's got a bunch of D12s laying around to get them up and running in the meantime.

It’s a little 10 room motel that I’m working with.

They originally had all D12’s and put the account in suspend a year ago.

They finally fixed up the place, took the account of suspend and Directv actually reactivated all the D12’s on the account.

So I then submitted the upgrade paperwork for the analog swap, and upgraded everything to H25’s but it takes 2 weeks for Directv to approve the upgrade so in the meantime I’m installing D12’s to get the property back up and running.

I was there today, sure enough they ripped out all my wiring and I had to re wire the entire place. Luckily the slimline Dish and SWM16 was still there so it saved a little time.

I really wanted a Reverse band LNB to run all 11 receivers, but I guess the swm 16 is going to have to work.

When I get the upgraded equipment, I’ll activate and ship to the customer. They can install the new receivers themselves since they wanted the install now, opposed to 2 weeks from now when the upgrade is approved.

Got on site at 4pm, left at 9:30pm. Not bad for 5 and a half hours worth of work for 11 televisions.

I ended up running all the wire on the corner of the ceiling, to go to their wall mounted Tv’s. Normally I would fish the walls, but they didn’t want to pay anything and this is one of these places that rents rooms by the hour.

What was lost in the fire if the D12's were not?

It was an electrical fire in the attic. The wiring was really bad in this place, and started when a customer plugged in an electric space heater and overloaded a circuit on New Year’s Eve last year.

Doesn’t surprise me. I was there 2 years ago and had to upgrade all the legacy switches to swm because they all went bad. I suspected the bad electrical wiring played a role, and actually said to myself I’m surprised the place hasn’t burnt down yet.

Ok so I did an install today with D12 and SWM30.

I have 24 receivers on a DSWM30. 12 on each leg with 12 H25 and 12 D12

I got 8 of the D12’s working on the DSWM.

Going out tomorrow to switch out the rest of the D12 to H25.

However I can confirm it will work. I think the D12 needs to be on the first 8 DSWM channels of a SWM13.

Ok so I did an install today with D12 and SWM30.

I have 24 receivers on a DSWM30. 12 on each leg with 12 H25 and 12 D12

I got 8 of the D12’s working on the DSWM.

Going out tomorrow to switch out the rest of the D12 to H25.

However I can confirm it will work. I think the D12 needs to be on the first 8 DSWM channels of a SWM13.

I'm assuming it works like the H20, and sees the DSWM as an old school SWM. The way the SWM protocol works the receiver asks for a particular frequency, and the SWM either accepts that or not. Since the H20 (and D12) only know about the 8 original frequencies, that's all they can ask for. So they aren't grabbing the first eight, they're grabbing the original 8, and not the new frequencies that are in between the existing ones - only newer stuff that knows about the DSWM can ask for those.

If you mixed and matched D12s and H25s unless you can somehow guarantee the D12s will start up first and grab the channels they want before the H25s can, some of the D12s may be SOL.

I always thought that the newer hardware should request the new channels first, to better work with the older stuff that doesn't know about DSWM but Directv never listens to my good ideas :)

I'm assuming it works like the H20, and sees the DSWM as an old school SWM. The way the SWM protocol works the receiver asks for a particular frequency, and the SWM either accepts that or not. Since the H20 (and D12) only know about the 8 original frequencies, that's all they can ask for. So they aren't grabbing the first eight, they're grabbing the original 8, and not the new frequencies that are in between the existing ones - only newer stuff that knows about the DSWM can ask for those.

If you mixed and matched D12s and H25s unless you can somehow guarantee the D12s will start up first and grab the channels they want before the H25s can, some of the D12s may be SOL.

I always thought that the newer hardware should request the new channels first, to better work with the older stuff that doesn't know about DSWM but Directv never listens to my good ideas :)

The real question is what ever happened to SWM accepting 22 channels

The real question is what ever happened to SWM accepting 22 channels

Though I haven't opened one up I have a very strong suspicion the DSWM30 uses a single second generation DSWM chip, which supports up to 32 channels. So 15 channels + guide on each output. Also makes sense from a commercial perspective since 15 receivers is the limit for DECA (15 receivers + 1 DECA/CCK = 16 node limit for MoCA) as well as probably not wanting to support splitting more than 16 ways.

As for the "13 tuner" DSWM LNBs, your guess is as good as mine.

What’s even more screwed up is that Directv commercial is designing systems with 12 receivers per leg so you fill an entire 8 way and 4 way splitter.

They don’t want the extra 3 ports on an 8 way splitter open so the swim could be accidentally overloaded.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)