Oblivion developer says slow PS3 load times are a problem....

I know. But every time I mention slow load times he goes ballistic. Now I have a neutral third party validating what I was saying...

As quoted from the article:
"Bethesda’s Todd Howard explained recently in an interview with the magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly that the developer is having to duplicate a lot of the game data on the Blu-ray disk many times in order to try and improve load times for the game. "

It seems they have a work around to speed up the load time...not sure if it puts the PS3 on par with the load times of the Xbox360 though. Guess that is one benefit to having a media that can hold 25-50 GB of data versus just 9 GB. I'm sure that's not what Sony intended, but if it helps then hats off to the person thinking out-of-the-box for that idea! :hatsoff:

Personally, I can wait a few extra seconds for game data to load...and that certainly doesn't influence my decision of what game system to choose from. For others, that may be a different story. Now if we are talking a few extra minutes to load data, then I would be considering the load time issue.

Personally, I can wait a few extra seconds for game data to load...and that certainly doesn't influence my decision of what game system to choose from. For others, that may be a different story. Now if we are talking a few extra minutes to load data, then I would be considering the load time issue.

Indeed. Such a thing would not make me avoid buying a game, much less a system. However, it might make me play a game less and avoid any expansion packs.

Having seen and played a friends PS3 now (and owning a 360) a few times I have never seen a single ps3 game load any slower than the 360 version. Literally, I even timed some of the games with a stopwatch just to see if the claims were true.

Not a single game on the PS3 or 360 loaded more or less than 4 seconds slower/faster than it's counterpart on the other system. I would have to believe that some of these slow load times are more related to the developer and how the game is designed.
*note, I am a stauch Sony detractor. I would love the PS3 to fail in this manner, but I can honestly say, I timed it, tested it and I can't find it to be true in my personal first hand experience.

No spike here. Maybe if it wasn't a poor port it wouldn't be a problem. I have timed Tiger woods on the PS3 and 360. I own the Ps3 version, my best friend the 360 version and load times are identical. I don't know what else to say. Resistance load just as fast as GoW which i own, and so on and on. But believe what you will.

Fair enough,.... I just felt compelled to pipe up when a neutral 3rd party confirmed what my friend had been telling me......

If that's not the case with the rest of the games, I'll be quiet. Oblivion has the longest load screens of any game I've played. If any game would accentuate any differences, that one would be it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)