Odd behavior with jumping back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cactus Jack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
USA
My wife and I have been recording a lot of shows from StartTV and MeTV lately (on a Dish Hopper.) The 30 second jump forward feature works fine, but the 10 second jump back is all over the place. Sometimes a single press goes back only about one second, other times way more, and even occasionally going back almost to the beginning of the recording.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is there a fix?

Thanks,
Jack

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
My wife and I have been recording a lot of shows from StartTV and MeTV lately (on a Dish Hopper.) The 30 second jump forward feature works fine, but the 10 second jump back is all over the place. Sometimes a single press goes back only about one second, other times way more, and even occasionally going back almost to the beginning of the recording.

Thanks,
Jack
Sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit my original post....

Should have also mentioned that these two channels are the ONLY two I've see this behavior on, although I don't watch a ton of different channels.

Jack

Should have also mentioned that these two channels are the ONLY two I've see this behavior on, although I don't watch a ton of different channels.

Jack
Apparently there is a bug with the “Trick play” features with the standard definition channels. I haven’t seen in this forum any signs that Dish is working to fix it. That doesn’t mean it won’t get fixed, but as the SD programming is low priority, it would get fixed when other bugs are resolved.
I like watching the old Buck Rogers and have learned to watch them old school style, commercials and all.

Thanks for the comments, Miner. I, too, am old-school, except when it comes to commercials. Can't stand most of them. If they were less obnoxious and demeaning, I could accept them more.

i experience the same issue several times a week on get tv and tvland. i have had it erase all the buffer whenever it jumps back to the beginning instead of skipping 10 seconds back. been having a lot of skipping lately as if im pressing pause & play repeatedly. wife experienced it just an hour ago on hallmark drama. acts like the hdd is failing.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack
I realize you stated the problem is on only two channels but have you tried unplugging the receiver to reset it? In the past this would fix 90% of my problems. Fast, easy, try it when you can.

happens a lot especially from hws to the other hws
fast forwarding is especially screwed up...it may jump 30 minutes from where I stop the fast forward to where it begins playing

I realize you stated the problem is on only two channels but have you tried unplugging the receiver to reset it? In the past this would fix 90% of my problems. Fast, easy, try it when you can.
Thanks, TV Junkie. Yeah, resetting the box has fixed various problems for me in the past, but not this "issue."

Not dissing your suggestion at all, but reminds me of a British comedy called "The IT Crowd" in which a tech support guy, who is just generally disgusted with people, answers every tech call with "Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks, TV Junkie. Yeah, resetting the box has fixed various problems for me in the past, but not this "issue."

Not dissing your suggestion at all, but reminds me of a British comedy called "The IT Crowd" in which a tech support guy, who is just generally disgusted with people, answers every tech call with "Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

Jack
Yeah it was wishful thinking, like I said in my post it fixes 90% of the problems unfortunately you are in the other 10% right now. Probably software bug.

This skipping commercials feature doesn't work well with recorded HD shows either. At least for me. I record 6:30 PM national news from ABC. Commercials start toward the end. When I press forward button several times, it advances too much. Then, I have to skip back. Annoying. I came up with a solution that works for me. I press and hold forward. That way, I know exactly when to stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)