Odom 10ft Mesh BUD Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I looked online here and abroad and didn't find anything on setting up an ODOM 10ft dish. What I am curious about is f/D setting and focal distance. I was wondering if anyone had this dish and could tell me what works for you.
If anything, I'll calculate it myself. But I would like to hear any information someone might have on this dish.

Attachments

• 20200611_155733.jpg
    20200611_155733.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 20200808_180410.jpg
    20200808_180410.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 300
Calculations are meant to be a starting point. You might experiment to verify the optimized feed and scalar positioning, but use multiple satellites and transponders so not to optimize for a single signal that may be received better with de-tuning.

Moving the FL will possibly move the feedhorn out of the signal convergence "sweet spot". Changing the FD setting changes the illumination of the reflector, either overshooting the edges and picking up terrestrial interference or under-illuminating the reflector and not gathering all of the reflected signals. When modifying the feed[placement the beam pattern of the dish will be affected and side lobes will be changed and adjacent off axis undesireable signals may not be attenuated.

Calculations are meant to be a starting point. You might experiment to verify the optimized feed and scalar positioning, but use multiple satellites and transponders so not to optimize for a single signal that may be received better with de-tuning.

Moving the FL will possibly move the feedhorn out of the signal convergence "sweet spot". Changing the FD setting changes the illumination of the reflector, either overshooting the edges and picking up terrestrial interference or under-illuminating the reflector and not gathering all of the reflected signals. When modifying the feed[placement the beam pattern of the dish will be affected and side lobes will be changed and adjacent off axis undesireable signals may not be attenuated.
That is what I am curious about. Wish I knew the design spec for this Odom dish. I have not found any specs on Odom dishes. The lower the f/D, the wider the angle that signal is collected, but I guess I will have to experiment with the best settings for my application.

I was able to get this dish up and running with slightly better performance on many TPs but with some missing when compared to my 7.5ft SAMI. I think I need to try a different f/d ratio setting. My LNBF is set to .35 right now.

Attachments

• 20200823_180929.jpg
    20200823_180929.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: FTABman0 and MikeI
Update: This dish is great! It's not perfect, but it receives everything I've wanted. I had my focal length off by 2cm and true south alignment was a little off. Once I corrected that, the signals boomed in. And for anyone wondering, f/D is 0.35. I confirmed that by measuring the original Chaparral feed and by trying 0.36 and 0.37.

Attachments

• 20200826_130848.jpg
    20200826_130848.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 226

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts