Offered tech position by Mastec... Any employees out there? Opinions needed!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Doostur

Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and finally decided to sign up after weeks of reading on here.

I know this topic has been covered but I'm hoping to get a up to date opinions. I have been reading posts reguarding Mastec and it seems like they aren't a very good company to work for. Granted alot of the posts were from 2006, and it seems (slightly) that things have gotten better for employees of Mastec.

Anyways I have been offered a Satellite tech position by Mastec and I wanted the real truth from people who work for them currently or have worked for them. My friend works for them now and says he makes about 1200-1600 every two weeks, and mentioned one of the techs 2 hours away pulled in 72k last year. He says if your ready to work your butt off and dont mind some minor "BS" then its not too bad.

My situation is this; I have 7 years experience as a electronics tech, more component level, and bench work. In my area there is hardly any opportunity to do my kind of work, and I would REALLY like to stick around the area, hense why I'm considering the Mastec position. I dont mind working hard, or even 6 days a week, as long as I'm treated and paid accordingly.

So to the employees and former employees of Mastec:

What were you making monthly/yearly on average? (Hope thats not too personal of a Q), How realistic is 50K+/year?

How much did you start per hour?

How were you treated in general?

Was there alot of work, if so how many hours for the average week?

How many days a week?

How many jobs did you complete a day on average?

Misc problems/complaints/opinions?

Thanks ahead of time!

It says I "do not have permission to access this page" Probably because I'm a newbie.

Thanks, posted in The Installer Zone. I'd post the link but I'm not allowed until 15 posts. To reply go to the Installer Zone please :)

I havent heard many good things about mastech.

Thats because people will always post/talk about bad experiences way before they will talk about good ones. If you went by the logic that there are never anything good to say about X then one would assume every install is a nightmare with Dish and D* just by reading this one forum.

General Rule of thumb is a bad experience is amplified 10 fold and told to 20x more people than a good one.

Thats because people will always post/talk about bad experiences way before they will talk about good ones. If you went by the logic that there are never anything good to say about X then one would assume every install is a nightmare with Dish and D* just by reading this one forum.

General Rule of thumb is a bad experience is amplified 10 fold and told to 20x more people than a good one.
Actually,
The percentage of techs who have been screwed by MASTEC far outnumber the number of tech who do well year after year.

I even know of an installation company that had zero defects and call backs......MASTEC cut them $5.oo along with the rug heads that just nailed the dish to a roof and signed the papers themselves.

But you are correct...............ANYONE HAVE A GOOD WORD FOR MASTEC?

Joe

Last edited:
I worked for Mastec from 04/07 to 09/07 this is how it went down, When I started I was a apprentice tech mad $10 a hr while in training. Once I went out on my own I got paid piece work pay I was making abourt $2400 mo not including tx deduction but I was also working from 7am-9pm getting home doing my papper work and emailing it to albq that was about another hr or so. I lived in taos at the time 138 miles about. So by the time you scan all of the paper work and email it extra time I didnt get paid for also the way I was trained was only to claim 8hrs on your time card if not they would start cutting you jobs. On top of that all of my jobs were always 40miles from home and I traveled about 200+miles a day. I had about 6 jobs a day 4 installs 2 service calls. The thing thats sucks is if you have to drive 1 hr to a job and there not home and dont answear the phone it screws you up, you have to call 3 i think in an hour and still show up before you can reschedule a job. I was in charge of all maintnence on my van as well it spent more time in the shop then on the road ontop of that just to find some one that was approved by gm to get it serviced was something else. Every 6 days you had to take your extra receiver back to the warhouse to be rescaned in and out and to pick up more equipment on top of this I didnt get paid for either always spent my day off doing this just because it took so long. They do give you charge backs as well if theres a problem with a install if it your fault or not, for example if the receiver gives out and you cant respond because the job was on the other side of the state your getting a charge back. They like to give charge backs for everything even on your van, I was forced to pay to take my van home at the time since i lived out of area. Most installers I know made there extra money by doing side work wich is against company policy. Also keep into consideration that you need to purchase all of your equipment the company can get it for you and just deduct a percentage every paycheck. The most expensive tool you will have is your birdog. For me is was easyer to work overtime at walmart and make the same money with less work and my two days off with out going back and fourth to albq.

I worked for Mastec from 04/07 to 09/07 this is how it went down, When I started I was a apprentice tech mad $10 a hr while in training. Once I went out on my own I got paid piece work pay I was making abourt $2400 mo not including tx deduction but I was also working from 7am-9pm getting home doing my papper work and emailing it to albq that was about another hr or so. I lived in taos at the time 138 miles about. So by the time you scan all of the paper work and email it extra time I didnt get paid for also the way I was trained was only to claim 8hrs on your time card if not they would start cutting you jobs. On top of that all of my jobs were always 40miles from home and I traveled about 200+miles a day. I had about 6 jobs a day 4 installs 2 service calls. The thing thats sucks is if you have to drive 1 hr to a job and there not home and dont answear the phone it screws you up, you have to call 3 i think in an hour and still show up before you can reschedule a job. I was in charge of all maintnence on my van as well it spent more time in the shop then on the road ontop of that just to find some one that was approved by gm to get it serviced was something else. Every 6 days you had to take your extra receiver back to the warhouse to be rescaned in and out and to pick up more equipment on top of this I didnt get paid for either always spent my day off doing this just because it took so long. They do give you charge backs as well if theres a problem with a install if it your fault or not, for example if the receiver gives out and you cant respond because the job was on the other side of the state your getting a charge back. They like to give charge backs for everything even on your van, I was forced to pay to take my van home at the time since i lived out of area. Most installers I know made there extra money by doing side work wich is against company policy. Also keep into consideration that you need to purchase all of your equipment the company can get it for you and just deduct a percentage every paycheck. The most expensive tool you will have is your birdog. For me is was easyer to work overtime at walmart and make the same money with less work and my two days off with out going back and fourth to albq.

Damn, that sounds like a whole lot of freaking work man. Way too many hours, plus you can't even get home at a decent hour and barely have anytime off. I guess a lot of it depends on where you are located and what not.

u had to maintenance your vehicle they provided? and if u were there in 04/07 then u were most likely given a 2006-07 ford e250 ord n some cases a 05chevy 2500 and it stayd n shop? or maybe it was your were n charge of keeping the maintenance up to date as ARI assumed all costs of upkeep and mastec paid for all the fuel in vehicle in which im sure some went to your personal vehicle but to me $40wk to drive there new vehicle with their insurance and there wear and tear for 138 miles about as u said is WELL worth it hands down. dont hate
Ok now everyone has there own situation but heres the real deal
free phone for company use and personal use if needed++
new van with complete ARI maintenance from tires to lockouts to side of road fueling+++
$40wk payroll deduction if u want to use there fuel and insurance and tires,etc. to make that 5mile or even 200mile trip home or you can choose to leave at office everynite for free. 5miles i would maybe leave it but would never spend my money if i didnt have to for the 200mile trip!!? right?
if u make it on your own and get released then after piecework gets under you then its a average of 21-$27 per service call and 35-$45base on basic install plus 10-12.50 per reciever so 4 installs and 2 service would get u $182 minimum with only 1 reciever per install PER DAY but most techs ave about $200day so the 5day work wk would give about 1k wk or 4k month. good $$$ in my opinion for no overhead.
all activated sales pay from 100-150each
ive been there 2 yrs and like any company of this size people have issues especially if there not employed there currently, ive had many obsticles but managed to get through them and thats part of life and after about 1yr there its a whole new ballgame same money half the hours work and so on
its not all directv that mastec is dba there less than 1/3rd of mastecs revenue look at companies profile and it getting bigger by the day
looking for growth in a career try them out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)