Official Date Hopper 3 and 4k Joey - January 28th

It was actually a legitimate question. If it's available to customers on the 28th, that would suggest you could schedule the install for any time on or after that date. Considering same day installs aren't a thing, I would say you should be able to actually contact dish to schedule for the 28th sometime between now and then. It appears people assumed I didn't see the date and thought I was asking if I could upgrade sooner because there is an official date. Not the case.

When new equipment comes out you can not pre-order it, it's just not an option when building the work order since the equipment doesn't exist yet in Dish's system. Basically the release date of the equipment means that is the order date for it. If you want to be installed with a Hopper 3 on the day it's released then your best option is to get a hold of a local retailer and see if they will have the new equipment in stock the day it's available. You may be able to line up an install for that day since they would be able to build the work order and send a tech out all in the same day.

I've always been able to get new equipment the day it's offered since I'm a retailer. I can have the equipment on hand before it's available to activate. On the day of it's release I build the work order and then go home to install it. It's very unlikely that Dish directly will be able to do an install on the day you order it though.

Might as well as people will probably want a 4K Joey with a 4K Hopper.
What percentage of DISH households have multiple UHD TVs?

I'm betting the number is vanishingly small.

Of course the issue of not having your hottest DVR directly connected to your best TV shouldn't be overlooked either -- something that the DIRECTV crowd has grumbled quite a bit about.

Of course the issue of not having your hottest DVR directly connected to your best TV shouldn't be overlooked either -- something that the DIRECTV crowd has grumbled quite a bit about.

count me in the grumblers, i am waiting to see who actually launches 4k via sat first
as without high speed internet streaming does nothing for me, and i bet many sat users are in the same boat

Mark at DISHDEPOT.com sent me another email saying that Hopper 3 and 4k joey would be available for purchase on his site as early as January 12th. Now I didn't see any thing on his website yet showing either ,but that is the latest email he sent me.

This must be for pre-order. Dish still hasn't given a specific date yet for when they will be available. They did say that retailers would have them 3 days before the release though.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If you go to an H3, you cannot have another Hopper of any stripe on the setup. Or ViP. Just the H3 and various flavors of Joeys.
Thanks. I did know that, but I stated it wrong in my post. I meant that I would go from 2 DVR's to only 1 DVR, the H3, in the house. Again, thanks for your clarification. Your efforts in making certain I knew what to expect is appreciated.

I currently have a Hopper 2 with a Joey. I was wondering if I upgrade to the new Hopper 3.
Will the Joey I have now work with the Hopper 3?

I currently have a Hopper 2 with a Joey. I was wondering if I upgrade to the new Hopper 3.
Will the Joey I have now work with the Hopper 3?
It will work but if it's a Joey 1.0 they will swap it for the Joey 2.0. It's an even swap and won't cost any extra. The Joey 1.0 is slow and they don't want complaints of slow systems.

Is it possible that DISH will remanufacture the returned Joey 1.0 with a faster chip and then put them back in use? Otherwise what would they do with all the returns they will probably see?

Is it possible that DISH will remanufacture the returned Joey 1.0 with a faster chip and then put them back in use?
Not likely. It's not as cost-effective as it may seem. They will be disposed of and the costs written off.

Otherwise what would they do with all the returns they will probably see?
You presume that the feedback you're seeing here is typical of all of Dish's customers. It is NOT. Nine out of ten Dish customers, who are not members of websites like this one, will not upgrade to the Hopper 3 just because it's available.