OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If 1 gets it all will want it.

If ABC/Disney got 50%, then FOX gets 50%, then ALL the other program co's will hit w/ the same 50% rate increase. I will miss Nat Geo, bro will miss FX (he watches Son's ) but I don't want to see the rates continue to rise w/ every contract that comes up. He to the guys that wrote about the big boost in equipment rates. Sorry it has happened & would like it to go to a reasonable rate but that will be small in comparison to what it will cost if all contracts go up 50%. That will be including the carriage of you local TV stations to next time they come to the table.

HDNet Movies is on FX
NatGeo Wild is on NatGeo

You know, this is what ticks me off worse than them not having the channels. They are making it look like the channels are there, but when someone wants to watch a show on one of those channels and doesn't know about the dispute, they're in for a surprise (like, say, Tuesday night for Sons of Anarchy). That's just deception.

If ABC/Disney got 50%, then FOX gets 50%, then ALL the other program co's will hit w/ the same 50% rate increase. I will miss Nat Geo, bro will miss FX (he watches Son's ) but I don't want to see the rates continue to rise w/ every contract that comes up. He to the guys that wrote about the big boost in equipment rates. Sorry it has happened & would like it to go to a reasonable rate but that will be small in comparison to what it will cost if all contracts go up 50%. That will be including the carriage of you local TV stations to next time they come to the table.

But an over 100% increase in receiver fees are ok?

I am thinking a new promotion for Direct if the FOX RSN's go to the regular season of NHL/NBA

I can not see it lasting that long. That would be horrible for Dish if it did. Most people today don't know. Most will never know the channels are gone. The MLB season is coming to an end so a lot of people probably aren't watching if their team is out. Fire up the NBA and NHL in the coming weeks without coverage and you are going to have some pissed off subscribers.

So it is probably in Dish's best interest to get the RSNs back on line fast or they may shoot themselves in the foot.

If I were DirecTv I'd be all over this starting now. "We have Fox Sports. You say you do too? You may want to double check with your provider because they may have taken it away from you."

That would push Dish to work a little faster on their deal.

Percentages can be pretty misleading. For example. Let's say I charge you $0.10 month for something. Then all of a sudden, I ask for a 500% increase! OMG! But wait... that's still only $0.50. Obviously the carriage costs we're talking about are higher than that, but you get the idea.

OTOH, Dish increased my bill by a whopping $10/month, on a receiver I initially paid a $200 lease fee for, that I have paid $7.00/month for for 2 years ($168), and that I have paid $17.00/month for the past 9 months ($153). Therefore, for my receiver alone, I have paid $521, and I still must continue to pay $17/month for as long as I own it.

Now I'm all for keeping programming costs down, but I'd wager to say that every single programming provider could impose a "50%" increase in their carriage fees, and we STILL wouldn't be raped as bad as we've been with Dish Network's own increased fees.

That's why I find it difficult to side with Dish on these matters, even though I support taking a stance to keep programming costs under control. On the one hand, they're saying they are concerned with the costs they would pass on to their customers and painting themselves as the conquering hero keeping our bills down, but at the same time, they're raping the ever loving snot out of their customers with THEIR OWN FEES! I just find the whole thing incredibly hypocritical.

I do not think the stations that sell advertising should receive anything for programing and maybe what fox is asking in not right but for dish to say a 50 % increase is unprecedented when they did 3 times as much is not right they need to chose their words more carefully

Other than the big three members on this forum who never say anything bad about Dish, or never miss a channel lost, I truly feel bad for many Dish users today. Anyone that uses Fx and NatGeo as much as me will be pissed. Sorry guys.

I'm po'd at Directv for not having AMCHD and BBCAHD, but this is MUCH worse.

If you believe Dish, FOX wants a 50% increase in what they get currently. On FOX's rebuttal site, they don't acknowledge what they're asking for but do say "We are not seeking a 55 percent increase". Heh, maybe they do want 50% more !

Not to defend them, and I have no idea what the asking rate is, but Fx has a lot of originals, and movies, and NatGeo has a lot of originals too. These things cost $$$.

I'm not picking sides though, this just sucks for everyone involved.

I think this latest programming dispute is more evidence that congress needs to get involved and require that program providers offer their channels in a "Alacart" option. I know many people would be willing to pay several dollars a month for their local sports network....or national sports networks like ESPN.....but many others would rather live without those expensive channels. Sadly, with programming packages ranging from 75 to 300 channels, MANY customers only watch a small percentage of the channels they pay for each month.

First, I admit I was surprised by the fact that Fox pulled the plug. I don't know what it gets them to get into a pissing match now when the big show starts Nov. 1. Dish is not going to settle anytime soon, so the networks' subscriber numbers just go down for a month needlessly. Seems stupid.

Second, anyone think it's interesting that one of the channels that Dish is giving away for the duration is the BigTen network? Which happens to be 50% owned by Fox, which takes care of business and production issues for the network? The same kind of deal they have with the National Geographic Society.

Last, During all of the inevitable gnashing of teeth, remember that all of this will likely be resolved by November 7 at 1 p.m. Eastern, one way or the other. Dish at that point will have to come to some sort of agreement on the Fox owned-and-operated local stations. IF they don't, Dish will get dropped by hundreds of thousands of NFL fans in places like Chicago, Philly, New York and Dallas.

Dish will have to settle or downsize by a couple million subscribers. It will be interesting to see what happens to the stock price this month.

maybe dish didnt want to put up with phone calls from people who havent been paying attention.

once fox figures it out they will have a better bargening chip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)