OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

DISH Network Corporation Sales: $11,664.15M
News Corporation (owns Fox) Sales: $32,778.00M
FOX Broadcasting Company Sales: $4,228.00M
Fox Entertainment Group, Inc. average revenue per employee is about $530,000 (Employees: 12,500)
Fox Entertainment Group, Inc. SEVP and CFO David DeVoe $2,292,000 salary; $2,797,000 bonus

The median (average) household income in the United States is $46,400

Watching Charlie fail. PRICELESS!!!:D

To much morgue

I can't believe you did it... How could you of all people 'loose' something???

Partying too much? lol

This thread has been like the grim reaper. Had to do something to try & lighten it up. All these people trying to turn this into the OMG E* is dead thread.
I don't see the big broadcast chains knuckling under to a 70% affiliate fee set up. Have a feeling we gonna see some management types tell FOX where they can stick it if they expect that kind of pay back.

One also has to consider those that simply choose to consume content. Regardless of price.

Meaning if the game I choose to watch is on I would like to view it. Simple enough.

Awarding Charlie the right to negotiate how much my fries should cost in a Happy Meal has made me move on.

I tend to make these types of decisions myself. I don't need Charlie to claim he is defending me. I'm smarter than that. I can take care of myself.

As a result I simply move on to the provider that includes the content I choose to consume.

Ode to Charlie - stop using me as one of your pawns. I can take care of myself.

Does anyone know if there is any loophole in the law or in the contracts that will allow someone to get out of the contract without having to pay the disc. fees due to the loss of these channels??? Any discourse whatsoever? I just switched to Dish 2 months ago!

Dish will not let a customer cancel and not charge them the cancellation fee. On their service agreement that the tech has you sign says "prices and programming are subject to change". As a CSR I have been saying to just about every other customer that has called in since the dispute.

After a customer cancels their account before the agreement is up, dish will automatically charge the credit card on file the cancellation fee (also stated on the signed agreement). The only way to avoid the is to cancel the credit card you used to set up the account with. If you do that then the bank will refuse the charge. There is still one more thing to worry about. Dish always asks for a Social Security Number when setting up an account. If cancel dish and there is a balance on your account (with or even without an agreement) they will put this on your credit report. I have had former customers call in because the bank wouldn't approve their loan on a car or home because of dish.

Okay, this is a really misleading list of "dropped" channels

Hey, I have owned four Hondas, but I don't hate Toyota nor do I need to "diss" Toyota online in order to make myself feel good about my car choice. That is why I have never said anything against DirecTV, because I have never had it in my house, so I cannot comment on it (other than I have checked pricing, and my cost for D* would be about $20 per month more without new customer promotion discounts).

So, concerning the list...

Numbers 25-47 have been off for 48 hours or so (and Dish offered to extend the existing contract during negotiations, which Fox refused, so it is Fox who dd the "dropping").

Number 9-23 are ancient dead channels partially owned by Dish that were essentially demo channels for HD. Now that every TV channel is in HD, we do not need special HD channels so we can say "Ooh it is HD !". We do not see Dish carrying a special "Color TV Channel" from 1964 either. ;)

24 is a channel owned by a group of premium channels, and Dish still carries the rest of their channels, so they have simply decided it is not worth the cost and space. I never see "Give Me Back My Smithsonian Channel" so obviously hardly anyone watched it.

5 was a fake channel created by Dish to show how easily one could create a Weather Channel. The idea that you are calling it a "dropped" channel is hilarious !

8 was even more hilarious - possibly the worst TV channel of all time. It consisted of shows filmed on $29 camcorders starring $29 ho's.

SO, prior to this weekend, there was the Disney/ESPN HD channel dispute a few months ago, Fuse and GolTV. Dish has recently been in talks with GolTV, but the lack of action indicates that they still think it is over-priced.

Fuse is owned by MSG channel, and Dish is currently in a price dispute with MSG this weekend as well.

For those who of you who like to say "Why doesn't DirecTV ever have disputes", note that you could just as easily have said "Why don't Turner and NBC/Universal ever have disputes ??" Notice that no one has ever had to drop CNN or NBC due to a pricing dispute.

PS DirecTV has dropped more channels than just Versus - for example, they dropped "Trio" and then the channel went out of business a few months later...
Are these available on Dish Network? NO

Were These available on Dish Network? YES

Were These Channels Dropped over Charlie not wanting to pay the Bill. YES !!

Not misleading at all.
This is the list of Dropped channels. Period!!!
I don't care how much you want to sugercoat them.
Wow D* dropped 2 channels, One of which is back.

That still leaves 44 more unaswered drops from Dish in the past 3 years.

So even with all the addtional dish has added, D* still comes out on top in channel launchs in that time frame..
Want proof, Do the math, And don't even think about counting his VOD. Or you can Add 700 to D* list which is currently available right now in HD. 110 of which is 1080p and 70% of which is free.

I would love to see what else has vanished from DIsh in the past 10 years over billing disputes.

Last edited:
While E complains of rate increases they themselves jacked up the extra receiver fees dramatically.

charlie is two faced in this regard....

Yea, I just saw an ad with a warning that Cablevision will be losing the Fox channels come October 16th.

As I say, all companies engage in sometimes heated negotiations. The question is: how many channels are actually dropped for an extended period of time. Cablevision had the same (it appears) dispute with Disney that E* is now engaged in, difference is CV settled and the channels were lost only momentarily.

Rightly or wrongly, Charlie is standing up only for the size of his profit margin.

Does anyone know if there is any loophole in the law or in the contracts that will allow someone to get out of the contract without having to pay the disc. fees due to the loss of these channels??? Any discourse whatsoever? I just switched to Dish 2 months ago!

Dish will not let a customer cancel and not charge them the cancellation fee. On their service agreement that the tech has you sign says "prices and programming are subject to change". As a CSR I have been saying to just about every other customer that has called in since the dispute.

After a customer cancels their account before the agreement is up, dish will automatically charge the credit card on file the cancellation fee (also stated on the signed agreement). The only way to avoid the is to cancel the credit card you used to set up the account with. If you do that then the bank will refuse the charge. There is still one more thing to worry about. Dish always asks for a Social Security Number when setting up an account. If cancel dish and there is a balance on your account (with or even without an agreement) they will put this on your credit report. I have had former customers call in because the bank wouldn't approve their loan on a car or home because of dish.

I was under the impression a contract was a two way street. They have a duty to perform as agreed under the contract and you have a duty to pay as such. If they fail to agree to their part of the contract, they have failed to perform their obligation and you might have some recourse.

So I will throw this out, suppose you hire someone to fix your sidewalk and they fail to perform as stated in the contract. You have the right to take them to court. If the company has repeatedly fail to live up to terms of a contract, other customers could join in a class action for legal recourse. Obviously if there is rain, the company cannot do the sidewalk on the scheduled time. If the contract says high grade cement, and they used low grade cement...you should have recourse of some sort.

While fine print, can seem to release a company from obligations. Fine print should be able to be challenged, especially if the company can be proved to have willfully used fine print as a way to release their side from performing the obligation of the contract. I don't think fine print can protect the company from class actions or small claims court.

Maybe there are some legal experts here who can expand on this further. I am not trying to stir trouble...just trying to help some who are trapped in a contract that is now different that they signed up for...

This thread has been like the grim reaper. Had to do something to try & lighten it up. All these people trying to turn this into the OMG E* is dead thread.
I don't see the big broadcast chains knuckling under to a 70% affiliate fee set up. Have a feeling we gonna see some management types tell FOX where they can stick it if they expect that kind of pay back.

Obviously, I was poking fun at your grammar error.

I talked to my GM about the affiliate fee stuff and he said that website was a bunch of BS slanted at making the consumer feel that way and that the affiliates were cool with the fees the networks ask for, as they were getting nothing before the networks stepped in and started this practice, now they get something.

I was thinking the same as you, but he knows all the TV managers/Owners around here, so I suppose that isn't the case.

Everytime I think I might decide to return to Dish (I left in January 2010), I say no way because Dish is channel drop happy. You never know which shoe is going to drop next. I am now with AT&T, and they have some disputes of their own, but it's not a plague, like it is at Dish.

All i know is right now, those channels in question are fully gone. I don't have those sports channels as promised due to the effect of losing them. I managed to get 3 free months of HD Platinum out of Dish but IMO that isn't enough seeing how they just recently took all those Disney/ABC/ESPN HD channels from me.

What strategy have you guys used that were able to get $5 or $7 per month off? I tried to get them to give that to me and had no luck. They offered the multi-sports pack free for a month, which I thought they already gave to everyone.

I was under the impression a contract was a two way street.
If you and another party create a contract, yes, it's likely to be "a two way street". When one company creates it, odds are it will be written in their favor. In this case, Dish is offering something you want want, so they more or less hold the cards and write the rules. Your option is to go with someone else (who will have a similarly worded contract in their favor too).

Look at it another way: Instead of losing a channel or channels due to contract negotiations, what if a channel/network goes out of business. Should the provider let you out of the contract for something 100% out of their control ?

They offerred me HBO and Starz, they offerred me $15 a month for 6 months, they did not offer me the sports pack. All I wanted were teh Sabres games and this would have been a done deal. I asked if they could turn on Center Ice just until the MSG thing was settled. They wanted $171 to do that.

In the end we just couldn't come to an agreeable arrangement. I honestly did not want to leave, and no hard feelings at all, but it is what it is.

My D* install is scheduled for the 14th. It was really my only recourse right now for the current situation.

Oh, and strategy? Mind your manners. It's not the CSR's fault. They just have to deal with you on the phone. :) They are working within limits set on them by the company they work for. Can't expect them to do more than that. In conversations like this I usually start off with "I have a problem that I'm hoping you can help me resolve". That way it's YOUR problem and they aren't immediately on the defensive. Remain calm and don't be one of the angry, demanding, nasty clients that they're obviously dealing with by the droves. It really does get YOU a lot farther almost all the time if you're the nice guy. I've had CSRs (not just at Dish) bend over backwards to help me when I've given THEM a pleasant experience on the phone.

So don't be a d**k

Last edited:
They offerred me HBO and Starz, they offerred me $15 a month for 6 months, they did not offer me the sports pack. All I wanted were teh Sabres games and this would have been a done deal. I asked if they could turn on Center Ice just until the MSG thing was settled. They wanted $171 to do that.

In the end we just couldn't come to an agreeable arrangement. I honestly did not want to leave, and no hard feelings at all, but it is what it is.

My D* install is scheduled for the 14th. It was really my only recourse right now for the current situation.

Oh, and strategy? Mind your manners. It's not the CSR's fault. They just have to deal with you on the phone. :) They are working within limits set on them by the company they work for. Can't expect them to do more than that. In conversations like this I usually start off with "I have a problem that I'm hoping you can help me resolve". That way it's YOUR problem and they aren't immediately on the defensive. Remain calm and don't be one of the angry, demanding, nasty clients that they're obviously dealing with by the droves. It really does get YOU a lot farther almost all the time if you're the nice guy. I've had CSRs (not just at Dish) bend over backwards to help me when I've given THEM a pleasant experience on the phone.

So don't be a d**k

Truer words have never been spoken...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hard to believe so many members would jump ship on Dish for some channel outage
issues that will be solved shortly. If anyone cannot support Dish for a few days, then perhaps they should leave....

I was under the impression a contract was a two way street. They have a duty to perform as agreed under the contract and you have a duty to pay as such. If they fail to agree to their part of the contract, they have failed to perform their obligation and you might have some recourse.

So I will throw this out, suppose you hire someone to fix your sidewalk and they fail to perform as stated in the contract. You have the right to take them to court. If the company has repeatedly fail to live up to terms of a contract, other customers could join in a class action for legal recourse. Obviously if there is rain, the company cannot do the sidewalk on the scheduled time. If the contract says high grade cement, and they used low grade cement...you should have recourse of some sort.

While fine print, can seem to release a company from obligations. Fine print should be able to be challenged, especially if the company can be proved to have willfully used fine print as a way to release their side from performing the obligation of the contract. I don't think fine print can protect the company from class actions or small claims court.

Maybe there are some legal experts here who can expand on this further. I am not trying to stir trouble...just trying to help some who are trapped in a contract that is now different that they signed up for...

You are correct, a contract is 2 ways, but your example is NOT what you signed in that contract. You had the option to sign up for several different program packages, to compare to your sidewalk scenario several different levels of cement quality. But when the contractors contract plainly states, which your Dish contract does, that the contractor reserves the right to purchase cement from any supplier and to change cement suppliers at any time and then buys your cement from ABC Cement instead of XXX Cement, no breach of contract has occurred.
Section 1. I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.
Sorry, but this isn't FINE print, and unfortunately for the consumer, Dish is fully within the agreed terms of your contract.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)