OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

You know what makes me laugh about all this sh*t . . . you know who is really really really pissed right now? MLB . . . sure they have their first two rounds on TBS, but now with the World Series on Fox and millions of Cablevision and Dish customers unable to see the games, that drops advertising prices, it drops viewership, etc., etc. . . . I would not be surprised to see a peep soon from MLB if this drags on . . . Fox better watch their ass as MLB has their own channel and may not need Fox Saturday baseball if so many people cannot see it anyways!

That is a very good point. The only problem with MLB TV, however, is that it's not a widely available channel either.

google maps is screwed there, did you try champlain ny or plattsburgh? I think i know where I live. The entire valley is perhaps 100 miles, I guess if i lived in glens falls that would be true.
See where it says "Location: champlain valley ny" for you ? That's what I went by.... Sorry that I'm not familiar with your area. :(

I am counting the days until 11/1. We will see the real negotiation stance then. If cablevision hangs on and dish holds their ground, I'm sure fox will bend on some of this stuff. It will hurt ratings and even if people switched, they wouldn't get hooked up fast enough (especially HD Direct switchers).

cjwct said:
You know what makes me laugh about all this sh*t . . . you know who is really really really pissed right now? MLB . . . sure they have their first two rounds on TBS, but now with the World Series on Fox and millions of Cablevision and Dish customers unable to see the games, that drops advertising prices, it drops viewership, etc., etc. . . . I would not be surprised to see a peep soon from MLB if this drags on . . . Fox better watch their ass as MLB has their own channel and may not need Fox Saturday baseball if so many people cannot see it anyways!

MLB probably cares very little. They get the same carriage fee from Fox whether 1 or every viewer watches it. It's up to Fox to make it profitable to themselves, and they do that with advertising and cross promotion of their own programs. Hard to boost Fringe's ratings if nobody sees all the ads and actors in the stands!

...now with the World Series on Fox and millions of Cablevision and Dish customers unable to see the games...

Only Cablevision customers are unable to (currently) see the games. Dish customers still have FOX until Nov 1st. The first 4 World Series games are all before Nov 1st.
Wouldn't it be great if one of the teams swept in 4 games!

Well, I just got a "tweet" from a local reporter for WJW (the only person to respond to my inquires from the station) that they will have an update tonight. Probably just finally telling their viewers they could go dark, but I can hope for good news.

I remember seeing a list of Fox networks that would be affected by the dispute. Can't seem to find it. I'm sure it is somewhere here in these 200 pages, but if someone has it and could post it again, I would appreciate it.

I found this list of the FOX owned stations. If my understanding is correct, FOX could deny only these stations. All the other FOX stations are affiliates and should not be affected unless FOX does some arm twisting.

1New York WNYW / WWOR
2Los Angeles KTTV / KCOP
3Chicago WFLD / WPWR
4Philadelphia WTXF
5Dallas KDFW / KDFI
7Boston WFXT
8Atlanta WAGA
9Washington D.C. WTTG / WDCA
10Houston KRIV / KTXH
11Detroit WJBK
12Phoenix KSAZ / KUTP
13Tampa WTVT
15Minneapolis KMSP / WFTC
19Orlando WOFL / WRBW
24Baltimore WUTB
47Memphis WHBQ
51Austin KTBC
162Gainesville WOGX

That's most of the list but there are a couple more non Fox O&O stations that have agreements to let Fox/Newscorp negotiate on their behalf.

That's most of the list but there are a couple more non Fox O&O stations that have agreements to let Fox/Newscorp negotiate on their behalf.

Correct. Oak Hill stations. So add to that list:

KDVR Denver, WJW Cleveland, KTVI St. Louis, WDAF Kansas City, MO, KSTU Salt Lake City, WITI Milwaukee, and WGHP Greensboro, NC.

My 1st post...I called Dish and expressed my disgust with the situation and they gave me $5.00 off for 3 mo. and $3.00 off for an additional 3 mos. to compensate me for my loss of my regional sports channels. The whole reason I switched to them last year was to get FSS in HD...and because of this I had to listen to the Braves final season games on the radio...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...I let them know I was as pissed at them for not offering to compensate me up front, making me call and complain, as I was with the situation to begin with. I put up a 20' mast with a HD Antenna this weekend and now get 29 channels free to include FOX FTA. If this is not resolved to my satisfaction soon I will tell them to come get their box and stick it and go back to the old way of watching tv...or also get a FTA box and sat antenna...maybe I need to spend less time in front of the TV anyway.

Now that we are days out, I must say that I still believe this will be resolved over a "small" period of time with the locals. The NFL will be the deciding factor. If Dish and Cablevision hold their ground, and viewers in NFC DMAs are held without any means of watching their teams, the NFL will find a way to threaten FOX to pull FOX's contract for rights to the NFC. Don't tell me that NBC and ESPN (who now controls ABC sports programming) wouldn't be licking their chops at that piece of news. The NFL could also choose to put NFC games on NFL Network (they would need to regionalize it, but I'm sure that they could get it done. Don't let FOX make you think that they have leverage. They do short term, but long term is much different story.

Now that we are days out, I must say that I still believe this will be resolved over a "small" period of time with the locals. The NFL will be the deciding factor. If Dish and Cablevision hold their ground, and viewers in NFC DMAs are held without any means of watching their teams, the NFL will find a way to threaten FOX to pull their contract for rights to the NFC away. Don't tell me that NBC and ESPN (who now controls ABC sports programming) wouldn't be licking their chops at that piece of news. The NFL could also choose to put NFC games on NFL Network (they would need to regionalize it, but I'm sure that they could get it done. Don't let FOX make you think that they have leverage. They do short term, but long term is much different story.

The NFL has no say in this. Fox is still available over the air. Plain and simple. The NFL has no way to pull out of the contract. The station is still broadcasting. The viewers still have a way to watch the games. They're called rabbit ears. :)

My Chat with Dish about my contract and missing channels

Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: Hello
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: How may I help you?
ME : Good Morning. I had DIYnet on my programming and I noticed it was missing this morning. Why? We're pretty upset by this and all the FOX mess. We are wondering how long our contract is how much it will cost cancel it? Dish has failed us even though we like your equipment and signal
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I'd be happy to resolve that for you.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: Please give me just 1-2 minutes while I check on that for you.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: I appreciate your patience.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: For security purposes, can you please verify the last four digits of the Social Security Number on the account?
ME : <blanked out intentionally>
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: Thank you.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: We do have a special department that can assist you better. May I transfer you to our Loyalty department at this time?
ME : yes
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH: Thank you.
(03) HY5 Orlando B.VPH has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (20) Loyalty department to assist you.
Thank you for contacting the Customer Loyalty Helpdesk, I will be handling your request today. Please give me a few minutes to review the agents previous chat so that I can help you with your issue.
ME : ok
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I apologize for the delay. I'm currently working with other customers simultaneously. Thank you for your patience. I'll be with you as soon as I can.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Thanks! Please give me one moment to review your chat.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Thank you for waiting, DIY was on free preview from 9/30-10/26. You can check out what's on free preview on channel 102. If you like, I can upgrade your package to our AT250 to get that channel.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Your contract ends <blanked out intentionally>.
ME : no I don't want to pay 10 more for only one channel that I would want
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I understand.
ME : especially since I'm missing a bunch of fox channels on the current package
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I assure you we are doing everything possible to return your programming and reach an agreement that is fair and equitable. Please feel free to visit our website at DISH VS Fox to get the latest updates on our negotiations. You can also voice your opinion by emailing us at president@dishnetwork.com.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Please keep in mind, this sometimes happens during contract negotiations and every provider does go through this. I'm very confident that we will get those channels back. These are highly rated channels.
ME : well that's not the customer problem it's DISH's problem and I feel shorted on your agreement to me to provide the channel I want on the top200.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Because this programming is owned by another company, we must obtain broadcasting rights before we can make it available to our customers. We work hard to ensure that these rights come with fair terms and conditions so we can continue providing our customers with the best value in the industry; however there is always the chance that a compromise cannot be reached between DISH Network and the programmer. Because there is a possibility of programmers changing their prices or channel availability, our contract does not specify what channels are included in each package. Program negotiations are unavoidable and are a dynamic aspect of the business. These types of negotiations apply to any pay-TV provider, not just DISH.
ME : well what are you going to do for me. I pay a lot and now I'm stuck in this contract that I wouldn't have with comcast.
ME : what is it going to cost for me to cancel my contract which I feel should be nothing since you're in breach of contract for providing me with 200 channels
(18) Jamy K.6BX: We regret that FOX Sports has decided to remove their FSN programming from our customers. While we work hard to negotiate for the return of your programming as quickly as possible, we have decided to open up our Multi-Sport package which gives you ESPN Classic and several out of market Regional Sports Networks. You can find these new channels between channel 9660 and 9682.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: We can offer you 3 free pay per views for the inconvenience, the coupons would expire after 90 days, you can redeem them through our website or on our automated system by simply contacting 1-800-894-9131.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: If you cancel your cancellation fee is $280.
ME : stop giving me the "canned messages". can you waive this cancel fee?
(18) Jamy K.6BX: No, the fee is valid.
ME : even though you're in breach of contract?
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Per the agreement you signed, it does state "We reserve the right to add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, and our prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services at any time, including without limitation during any term agreement period to which you have agreed under the terms and conditions of any other agreement with DISH Network.” so unfortunately, that would not be considered breaking the contract.
ME : yes, but I'm paying for 200 channels not 180
(18) Jamy K.6BX: You have over 200 channels.
ME : I guess I can forward this chat to the Colorado AG just to see what they have to say.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: If you like to dispute the contract, you can call our office and speak to someone in our Executive office.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: You can call us at 1-800-894-9131; we are open 24/7 for your convenience.
ME : I bought this package because I have specific channels I wanted. I don't care about shopping networks, etc. those aren't entertainment, those are force on DISH to carry them
ME : same with religious channels
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I know it's frustrating and I do apologize. We are working hard to reach a fair and equitable agreement. Negotiations usually proceed quickly, and we hope to reach an agreement soon. DISH Network will not be bullied or forced into reaching an agreement that is unfavorable to our customers, and we are committed to investing in the time that is required to reach a fair deal.
ME : I understand what your are saying but you're putting this on my back and your customers while you have this dang fight.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I am sorry.
ME : with no consideration to the customers that are paying for this or offering something as a replacement in the interim.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Sorry about this, we are avidly working for a fair deal with them at this time. In its place we have provided the Multi sports package.
ME : I'm not a sports person but I'm a fan of fox31 and their other station wb2. Will those be pulled on 11/1 too?
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Our contract with FOX Local TV channels in many markets ends on Oct. 31. We continue to negotiate with FOX for the continued carriage of these channels. Unfortunately, FOX is using a scare tactic to threaten DISH and our customers that the channels will be pulled unless we meet their high rate increase. To receive updated information on our negotiations with FOX and restoring your FOX SPORTS Regional Sports Channels, FX and Nat. Geo, go to DISH VS Fox and sign up to receive email updates as they become available. We also invite you to send a letter to sports teams and advertisers that are shown on the regional sports channels.
ME : So if people want out of their contracts because of this you're going to trap us by not waving anything?
ME : I don't have time to write hundreds of people and you can't expect consumers to have to do all this
(18) Jamy K.6BX: I'm very sorry, Ms. . Unfortunately, you did agree to the terms and condition on the contract. The contract is valid.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns by e-mailing us at president@dishnetwork.com. We assure you that we will read every e-mail we receive.
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Do you have any other questions?
ME : ok, this is pointless then. thanks for nothing. nope have a great day
(18) Jamy K.6BX: Thank you for being a Dishnetwork customer, you have a wonderful day!
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.

Hi All, I don't watch Fox sport chs., but I am real unhappy with NO Nat'Geo & FX. Does anyone know where I can pick up these chs. w/out paying a fortune? Dish told me way back on Oct. 1 that all this would be resolved by the 3rd. Here we are on 10/27 and NO chs. I made the mistake of taking free HD for life along with a 2 yr. comm. not long before they pulled this crap!! Both of them are GREEDY corps. What else is new??? All feedback is appreciated.

Sounds like the conversation I just had...I dumped my cable co. because of bad connections, I even had to buy and install my own boosters to get the channels....so i went with Dish...now this...we are all screwed...time quit letting these companies hold us hostage....

have you ever taken a stand....for god sakes its just TV and it is too damn expensive.....I am glad Dish is taking a stand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)