OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How? John Malone is no longer on the Board of Directors, and no longer has any true voting power. The current Board of Directors basically ousted Liberty Media.

Liberty Media owns 54% of the DIRECTV Group of which DIRECTV is a subsidiary. Malone and his family own 24%. I bet when Malone calls they listen. Since his company controls 54% of the votes. They could vote out any director they wanted.

The DirecTV Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On May 4, 2009, DirecTV Group Inc. said it would become a part of Liberty's entertainment unit, part of which would then be spun off as a separate company called DirecTV. The rest of the unit would be traded as Liberty Starz. Liberty would increase its share of DirecTV from 48 to 54 percent, with Malone and his family owning 24 percent

Just because Malone decided not to personally run every subsidiary he owns, does not mean he could not control it if he wanted to do so.

Best compensation offer from Dish?

I was on the phone today with retentions, and the best offer I could get from retentions as compensation for the loss of the Fox channels was 3 free months of Starz and 3 free PPV movies. Told them I would think about it.

Has anyone received a better offer?

For the love of Pete.

Read this.

Snippets:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jun 16, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today announced that it has consummated the previously announced transaction with Dr. John C. Malone to recapitalize the DIRECTV stock ownership held by Dr. Malone, his wife and two trusts for the benefit of his children. Under the terms of the agreement, the Malones exchanged 21,809,863 shares of Class B common stock of the Company, which is all of the outstanding Class B shares, for 26,547,624 shares of Class A common stock, resulting in the reduction of the Malones' voting interest in DIRECTV from approximately 24.3% to approximately 3%. All of the Class B shares will be cancelled. As part of the transaction, Dr. Malone resigned as Chairman and he, Paul A. Gould and Gregory B. Maffei resigned as members of the Board of Directors.

Anyone care to try again? This is the third time I've posted this to THIS thread.

For the love of Pete.

Read this.

Snippets:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jun 16, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today announced that it has consummated the previously announced transaction with Dr. John C. Malone to recapitalize the DIRECTV stock ownership held by Dr. Malone, his wife and two trusts for the benefit of his children. Under the terms of the agreement, the Malones exchanged 21,809,863 shares of Class B common stock of the Company, which is all of the outstanding Class B shares, for 26,547,624 shares of Class A common stock, resulting in the reduction of the Malones' voting interest in DIRECTV from approximately 24.3% to approximately 3%. All of the Class B shares will be cancelled. As part of the transaction, Dr. Malone resigned as Chairman and he, Paul A. Gould and Gregory B. Maffei resigned as members of the Board of Directors.

Anyone care to try again? This is the third time I've posted this to THIS thread.

Not saying he has direct voting in DIRECTV but in Liberty Media. Liberty Media in turn has voting control over DIRECTV Group of which DIRECTV is a subsidiary. No, he cannot directly vote out anyone in DIRECTV, he has to use his control of Liberty Media to do so.

I was on the phone today with retentions, and the best offer I could get from retentions as compensation for the loss of the Fox channels was 3 free months of Starz and 3 free PPV movies. Told them I would think about it.

Has anyone received a better offer?

I got $5.00 off for 3 mo, and $3.00 off for an addtional 3 mo adding to a grand total of $24.00 off for losing my sports package and the RSNs (the only reason I switched to Dish) and the rest of the channels...I will be pulling the plug on Dish as soon as the last episode of HBOs Empire airs. :mad:

I got $5.00 off for 3 mo, and $3.00 off for an addtional 3 mo adding to a grand total of $24.00 off for losing my sports package and the RSNs (the only reason I switched to Dish) and the rest of the channels...I will be pulling the plug on Dish as soon as the last episode of HBOs Empire airs. :mad:

Over 2 different chats I got one month of multi-sport free ($7)
3 months of free HD Platinum @$10/month ($30)
3 PPV coupons that work for HDPPV @$5.99 ea ($17.97)

Total of $54.97 in discounts/PPV - a fair deal I thought for the irritation.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably switch as well when my contract expires, as I need the sports. They seemed insistent that Starz and PPV were the only programming they could offer as compensation. I asked if instead of Starz and the 3 PPV I could get Hub or the Golf Channel and they said no. Was anyone able to get any different channels?

Not saying he has direct voting in DIRECTV but in Liberty Media. Liberty Media in turn has voting control over DIRECTV Group of which DIRECTV is a subsidiary. No, he cannot directly vote out anyone in DIRECTV, he has to use his control of Liberty Media to do so.
Oy vey.

Read this.

Liberty Entertainment spun itself away from Liberty Media, and then merged with DirecTV. When the deal closed in November 2009, John Malone was left with 24 percent voting stock. That voting stock was later reduced to three percent and the three officers from Liberty left the Board of Directors.

Again, John Malone has three percent voting interest and Liberty has NONE. DirecTV is just as independant as Dish Network.

Funny, I've done the same with HNN and MSNBC.

I really don't understand all this I have to block this or that station when all you have to do is NOT tune to it, or NOT put in your favorites list.
Why block it or are you fearful that some one in your household may watch it when you are not looking?

they didnt offer me anything on the way of compensation. but thats probably because they can tell from my account number that i work for them
(shrug)

I really don't understand all this I have to block this or that station when all you have to do is NOT tune to it, or NOT put in your favorites list.
Why block it or are you fearful that some one in your household may watch it when you are not looking?

I was under the impression that a person could set up their lists any way they so choose. If I want to block EVERY channel except HSN that is my business.

Too bad. I would love it if we lost FOX news. I have to block it out on my receivers because I consider watching it unacceptable.;)

You are missing out on a lot of great entertainment. Fox news is not a news channel, but it is one of the best entertainment channels out there

I was offered $5/month off for 3 months, I said NO. He said he'd be back in a minute. He came back with $10/month off for 12 months. I said, HELL NO. My service was canceled and they said they would send me boxes and labels that I would have to pay $15/each for if I used them to return their receivers. Thanks Dish! Great customer service! :(

i agree with amv. its hillarious. especially that glen beck clown. he's just as funny as stephen colbert, but what makes him funny, is that he is completely serious. not that this forum is one for political discussion....
by the way HOW COME fox news is not included in the dispute?

I recorded the first few days of that channel when it went on the air back in 1996. And before it came on the air many pundits said it wouldn't last. Like them or not they get an audience and that's what it's all about . If they had the lowest ratings around the other networks would make sure you knew it. From looking on the internet it looks like one of the reasons they get high ratings is because many who hate the network watch the network. Remember the guy who was selling the Fox News blocker filter ? I don't know how it worked but I found that to be very funny. Also a waste of money . As George Carlin said they make these things called knobs so you can turn the channel. Never bring up the following at work, Politics, religion , and the Great Pumpkin.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)