OFFICIAL: Dish Network Not Enough New HD Complaint Thread

I don't know about "No new HD for 6 months". But I am willing to make the following call, based on exit polls, tea leaves and technology:

No New National HD that Matters to anyone (Speed, USA, FX, Bravo, etc.) for at least Four Months based on:

1) If they were going to light something up with existing capacity, they would have done it by now. They have as much capacity freed up as they are going to get freed up in the short term. There is no reason to light up anything this week that was not valid last week. And if they light up anything new, all the printed collateral material is obsoleted. So I have officially lost hope for anything in the short term nationally, the Pub excitement of last week notwithstanding.

2) AMC 14 is for LiL, not National. SO it goes up in what, middle of March? It becomes active for Lil in what Late April-Early May? THEN they MIGHT be able to move a satellite (Rainbow 1?)from 61.5 to 110 or 119. How long is that going to take? Weeks? Followed by Testing? So we are Well into June by that point.

3) In the interim, SeaLaunch might put up a New Echostar Satellite in May or June. But it is not a SLAM DUNK that the satellite will even be for the US. They might have to launch the China Satellite first. In which Case the US satellite might not make it into the air until October.

AS for Mojo,Tennis, WFN (which could just as well be named WTFN as far as I am concerned), the only one of those that matters is Smithsonian. Which I have seen and which is sorta OK.

So, I have hope for the election. But I have no hope for seeing much no HD before October, which means MOST of the OLYMPICS will be in SD. Which means I will likely move to DIrectv in June or July when my contract runs out.

Given an analysis of the known world order, what other conclusions can be draw?

I don't know about "No new HD for 6 months". But I am willing to make the following call, based on exit polls, tea leaves and technology:

2) AMC 14 is for LiL, not National. SO it goes up in what, middle of March? It becomes active for Lil in what Late April-Early May? THEN they MIGHT be able to move a satellite (Rainbow 1?)from 61.5 to 110 or 119. How long is that going to take? Weeks? Followed by Testing? So we are Well into June by that point.

Given an analysis of the known world order, what other conclusions can be draw?
ummm Local channels are on conus right now..when amc 14 goes up those channels will go to spotbeams thus opening up more conus channels.so relaaaaaaaaaax and enjoy the ride

How does adding Spot Beams at 61.5 free up 110 and 119 Conus, exactly, in any shorter timeframe? You would still be looking at May/June.

Unless you are saying that there will be new National HD for the eastern US only once AMC 14 is up and running.

Flyingsquirrel,

AMC14 is NOT for LIL. AMC14 is slated to replace Echostar3 which is heavily crippled CONUS ONLY satellite. Currently E3 and E12 are at 61.5. The design of E12 (Formerly Rainbow1) precludes it from operating on several transponders at 61.5. Since E3 is crippled Dish currently can NOT use all 32 transponder licenses they hold at 61.5.

Once AMC14 checks out and reaches 61.5 it will replace E3 and allow Dish to turn on E12's Spotbeams and operate 4 transponders in Spotbeam mode. All the rest of the 28 transponders at 61.5 will be used in Conus Mode most in Double Power mode, this will allow Dish to lower the FEC (forward Error Correction Code) and give them more usable bandwidth per Transponder, as well as 4 more Conus transponders than can use right now at 61.5. Keep in mind that Dish intends to unload ALL international Channels from 61.5 as well. This could allow Dish to carry dozens of Local into Local HD Markets (reusing 4 transponders in multiple spotbeams) as well as 80-110 National HD channels (16 transponders loaded with 6-7 HD channels per transponder), as well as about 500 SD channels in MPEG4 (12 transponders loaded with 40-45 SD channels per transponder).

AMC14 does NOT have any spotbeams, but with Dish's Eastern ARC Plan a two or Three Slot Dish pointed at 61.5, 77, and possibly another Orbital slot could carry 200 or more HD channels, and every other NON HD National SD Channels, and Local into Local HD markets for about 60-80 percent of the US population, and all of the international channels.

As many have said, there IS room as recent uplinks have shown. Dish just cant pull the trigger and make deals.

That said, no more complaining here. I'm all complained out. I've learned to expect little from Dish. I've also learned through some recent calls and experience that I do not want to go to Direct. I'm stuck hoping things improve, but not optimistic.

As many have said, there IS room as recent uplinks have shown. Dish just cant pull the trigger and make deals.

Well, if Dish can't get a fair deal on certain channels, channels that the majority of their competitors apparently have gotten fair deals on, then they need to pursue the problem in the courts, which would be a matter of public record, so since nobody has seen them doing this, that leads to the question of just what the hell is the problem at Dish!

By the way, if you read the thread that came from the Pub, certain channels were seen in the clear on Dish's birds. So unless they just got temporary permission to use them to test the encoders, which doesn't seem too likely, or unless they're getting them from some other source to use for testing, which would be illegal, then they owe us an explanation. (I have a feeling that if and when that explanation comes, it's going to be something spectacularly stupid and offensive, like "we just announced our new HD packages at CES because we had to have something to announce, so we can't just go and add a pile of new channels now for the same price.")

Question for Scott or Digi I saw this
5419(419) - FOXBA [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 08 ConUS beam (Not Available)

Could that possibly stand for Fox Baltimore in HD?
Thanks, Ron

can we all get together and take dish network to court for false advertising when they say they are the HD leader.

I'd rather not cover court costs for bringing up a frivolous law suit. "HD leader" is a purely subjective term. Even if they only had ONE HD channel, you could still say they are the "HD leader" if that channel had the highest quality or was the "most popular".

I'd rather not cover court costs for bringing up a frivolous law suit. "HD leader" is a purely subjective term. Even if they only had ONE HD channel, you could still say they are the "HD leader" if that channel had the highest quality or was the "most popular".

Now that would just be ridiculous. Saying that they are the hd leader with only one hd channel. That would be almost as bad as saying that they are the hd leader and have 75 or 95 (whatever they are saying) hd channels and they only really have 44.:D

I think someone realizes that as soon as SciFi/USA/Fx/Weather/CNN HD all get lit up, there will be a massive shift to the HD ONLY package.

I'm not sure which wait for me is more annoying - FiOS or these 5 HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)