OFFICIAL External Storage Information

Attached is a PDF document that explains External Storage better from Dish Network.

Don't forget that External Storage will be a big part of tonight's Tech Chat! And also don't forget that in our Tech Chat... Chat tonight we will be giving away a Dish 211 MPEG4 recevier courtesy of DishStore.NET!

Enjoy!

Thank you for this information, it has been very helpful. A question, when you are transferring to the external does it impede the normal operation of the 622 in any way? In other words, can I watch a game and stop, pause, FF or rewind as normal? Also, can you view another recording while it's transferring? I purchased a 320 GB Western Digital "My Book" specifically for this application.

Thanks

Thank you for this information, it has been very helpful. A question, when you are transferring to the external does it impede the normal operation of the 622 in any way? In other words, can I watch a game and stop, pause, FF or rewind as normal? Also, can you view another recording while it's transferring? I purchased a 320 GB Western Digital "My Book" specifically for this application.

Thanks

You can do all those things, but it might slow the transfer down a little.
Dan

TS, but it's encrypted !
You can copy or burn it to DVD/CD as you wish, but you must return the folders (not just files) - one for each movie, BACK to EHD if you want to WATCH.
thank for the reply, are the file resolutions kept intact and transferred in the original resolution to dvd? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth the effort to extract them or just capture using s-video capture device. anyone know of a stand-alone dvd burner with component inputs?

thank for the reply, are the file resolutions kept intact and transferred in the original resolution to dvd? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth the effort to extract them or just capture using s-video capture device. anyone know of a stand-alone dvd burner with component inputs?

Yes, intact - but ENCRYPTED. You can use DVD or CD as a backup, not for watching ! Oh man.

So can anyone give me their opinion on this? Should I capture through a s-video device or go the sata route? is there a difference in quality. i found a dvd burner with component inputs but it only records in 480p so it is not worth the price $199 while other dvd burners are $99 with s-video. i already have a capture device so i'm gonna try it out tonight to see how the quality is.

Should I capture through a s-video device or go the sata route? is there a difference in quality.
PVRExplorer/SATA is much faster than real time, and the original resolution is retained. Caveat: PVRExplorer does not currently rip mpeg-4 programs.

S-video or component capture will only run in real time, and you'll record the caller ID of anybody who phones, or any of the other info windows you might trigger via the remote during your recording.

Only you can determine if a standard def capture device has adequate quality for your purposes.

sounds like the sata route is the best option, thanks
PVRExplorer/SATA is much faster than real time, and the original resolution is retained. Caveat: PVRExplorer does not currently rip mpeg-4 programs.

S-video or component capture will only run in real time, and you'll record the caller ID of anybody who phones, or any of the other info windows you might trigger via the remote during your recording.

Only you can determine if a standard def capture device has adequate quality for your purposes.

PVR Explorer - they let you say that here!

The OTHER site spanks hands for using the "P E" words.

Tried It

This is a know compatibility problem between these Seagate drives and the 622/722 it has to do with the drives sleep mode. Here is link to a utility and instructions on disabling it. I also recommend plugging the drive into a switched power outlet such as on an A/V receiver so the drive doesn't run 24/7.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1010231-post356.html

NightRyder

NightRyder. I downloaded this and had thefollowing result and would appreciate your help.

1. My C drive was renamed to Free Agent. how did that happen and how do I get it back?
2. The computer does not recognize the Free Agent. I had it on the 622 and it was formatted for that. I guess I need to reformat for the PC but don't know how to do that. Can you help?

NightRyder. I downloaded this and had thefollowing result and would appreciate your help.

1. My C drive was renamed to Free Agent. how did that happen and how do I get it back?
2. The computer does not recognize the Free Agent. I had it on the 622 and it was formatted for that. I guess I need to reformat for the PC but don't know how to do that. Can you help?

Seadoo:

What O/S are you running on you computer?
If using XP or Vista does the drive show up in "My Computer" at all? You shouldn't need to re-format; The Seagate utilities don't require Windows to recognize the file system.

NightRyder

Since you had it formatted by the 622 it will not reconize the file system. To adjust the sleep interval hook the drive back up to the PC and run Free Agent tools. Since your C drive was renamed it will be located at "C:\Program Files\Seagate\FreeAgent\freeagent.exe". Go to Utilites/adjust sleep interval. Hook it back up to the 622 and you are ready to go.

Seadoo:

What O/S are you running on you computer?
If using XP or Vista does the drive show up in "My Computer" at all? You shouldn't need to re-format; The Seagate utilities don't require Windows to recognize the file system.

NightRyder

Running XP Media Center. After 3 hr with Tech Support chat they couldnt get it to do anything and they told me to take it back. Got a new one tonight plugged it in and set sleep mode to NEVER. I plan on disconnecting when in use. Will go to next step now of putting it on the 622 and downloading once again to see what happens. Curious when I transferred video back to 622 it seemed to stay on HD. I thought it was suppose to move it off of there back to 622 not copy it.

Running XP Media Center. After 3 hr with Tech Support chat they couldnt get it to do anything and they told me to take it back. Got a new one tonight plugged it in and set sleep mode to NEVER. I plan on disconnecting when in use. Will go to next step now of putting it on the 622 and downloading once again to see what happens. Curious when I transferred video back to 622 it seemed to stay on HD. I thought it was suppose to move it off of there back to 622 not copy it.

One more thing. Got my new HD. Set it to never turn off.

However, new problem. One Planet Earth Ihave not been able to move it. It just stays there. Also, while transferring some items and watching tv the screen freezes. What is it with that?

One more thing. Got my new HD. Set it to never turn off.

However, new problem. One Planet Earth Ihave not been able to move it. It just stays there. Also, while transferring some items and watching tv the screen freezes. What is it with that?

Forgot to mention that my 622 loses satellite connectivity and needs to reboot each time when I try this one Planet Earth

Forgot to mention that my 622 loses satellite connectivity and needs to reboot each time when I try this one Planet Earth
Sounds like file corruption or bad disc sector(s) on the 622 HD. Best to delete it.
Will probably be on again in the near future.

I now have 3 external hard drives of 3 different brands (Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital)

Is it safe to use the same AC Power supply for different hard drives? I think they're all 12 volts.

I'm already using the same USB cable without problem.