OFFICIAL External Storage Information

I just noticed this thread today!

Thanks for the heads up, right now at 1:18am Calif time, I just looked under "DVR" and found "USB Storage" category. When I selected it, it just reads "There is no Multimedia device connected to the USB port." I'm heading to Fry's or Microcenter tomorrow and picking up a MY BOOK or something similar. I've got only 12 hrs left on my dish hard drive - saved a bunch of shows! BTW, where is the hard drive compatible list? I didn't see it on the menu.

Now a way to put them on disk for archiving! :p

Up and running here with no problems :D, currently transferring Star Wars which is going to take aprox. thirty five minutes. A big :up to Dish on this one :):)

I called after getting up for work at 4am. It took an hour and 15 minutes to transfer 6 hours of HD to archive. Other than the slow transfer speed, it seems to be working as advertised. I was able to play recordings from archive (SlingBox), and transfering to archive continues uninterupted while the receive is placed in standby (power button). So far, it appears to be working just fine with my Western Digital 500GB, USB/eSata, My Book.

I noticed that I could not archive to HDD and send recording to the PocketDish at the same time. I did not have time to connect the My Book to my other 622 to see if I could play the recordings and/or transfer them to the other 622. I am really looking forward to reading the SatelliteGuys review of USB Storage.

Got my call in, waited on hold about 5 minutes, then waited a couple times on hold as the rep was trying to figure this out. Got it taken care of but said it may take 15 minutes before it gets enabled, so I'm waiting on the 15 minutes.

EDIT: As soon as I got done posting it was enabled, transferring now....not error. Trying a reboot.

I did unplug the drive and plug in the second one to format that was well. When I plugged the first one back in I had to reboot the 622 before it recognized it again. That's when I called in for activation. No sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not.

500gb Seagate FreeAgents

Got my call in, waited on hold about 5 minutes, then waited a couple times on hold as the rep was trying to figure this out. Got it taken care of but said it may take 15 minutes before it gets enabled, so I'm waiting on the 15 minutes.

EDIT: As soon as I got done posting it was enabled, transferring now....not error. Trying a reboot.

I did unplug the drive and plug in the second one to format that was well. When I plugged the first one back in I had to reboot the 622 before it recognized it again. That's when I called in for activation. No sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not.

500gb Seagate FreeAgents

Interesting, after the reboot I selected Manage Device. It then said I need to call and enable, DAMN IT. I tried the Send to Device anyway and now things are actually working. So a few bumps in the road for me but it is working now. Once I get the things on this drive I want I'll plug in the other and see what happens.

Interesting, after the reboot I selected Manage Device. It then said I need to call and enable, DAMN IT. I tried the Send to Device anyway and now things are actually working. So a few bumps in the road for me but it is working now. Once I get the things on this drive I want I'll plug in the other and see what happens.
Yep, I got the "call to activate" message after having my My Book activated and rebooting...but I just went to manage device and haven't seen the message again.

Up and running!

CAlled about 6am CDT and got a rep, she said I was her first :D
She put me on hold for about 30 seconds, came back, activated it, added the $39.99 to my bill and said it should work, and it did!

The Seagate FreeAgent THEN reformatted, and I'm in the process of transferring a few shows that I don't mind losing (in case we find bugs) BEFORE I txf the entire last season of the Sopranos!

Got it activated no problem. Called the special activation # (888-241-2205), the process took less than 10 minutes. Rep said lots of calls and the system was bogged down a little, most of the time was waiting for his system to update.

Prompt to format came up under Manage Device (not automatically when I plugged it in).

Western Digital 500GB My book Essentials.

Oh yeah, all you need to provide is your phone number or account #, so those of us planning to activate "remotely" are good to go.

I just called and was unable to add it to my account, as their systems were not updated yet. He said other call centers were updated and they were supposed to be able to add this feature, but they can't add the code yet.

No biggie, I will try back later. :)

I recorded a few short clips just to play around with the options. Transfer both ways and play back from USB works without problems. One issue I found is with Protected recordings. When you transfer a Protected program to USB you no longer see the protected logo when it's on the USB. And it is no longer protected as you can delete it without the code. But if you transfer it back to the 622 the protected symbol comes back and it is sill Protected.

I recorded a few short clips just to play around with the options. Transfer both ways and play back from USB works without problems. One issue I found is with Protected recordings. When you transfer a Protected program to USB you no longer see the protected logo when it's on the USB. And it is no longer protected as you can delete it without the code. But if you transfer it back to the 622 the protected symbol comes back and it is sill Protected.
Thanks for the info on the "protected" recordings. I am almost finished archiving four (4) protected recordings and was goning to test this when it was finished. Update: transfer complete - there is no "protected" flag on the archive.

What is the size limit? I read here that it was both 750GB and 1TB for the external drive. I see a 750 on sale for $219 at Circuit City this week. A 500GB is on sale for $119, but kind of small. Both are Western Digital. The 1TBs are still over $300.

I have many smaller drives laying around (100-300 external) but we are limited to one drive, right?

I am thinking 750GB would be good.

I'm using a 750GB drive...transfering the SW movies now and each looks to be around 7GB. These were recorded of HBO so I think they're MPEG2.

BTW activation was a breese...under 10min from call to functionality. :) I called about 30min ago.

What is the size limit? I read here that it was both 750GB and 1TB for the external drive. I see a 750 on sale for $219 at Circuit City this week. A 500GB is on sale for $119, but kind of small. Both are Western Digital. The 1TBs are still over $300.

I have many smaller drives laying around (100-300 external) but we are limited to one drive, right?

I am thinking 750GB would be good.

750gb is the supported limit, anything beyond that you are on your own but it may work ( or it may not).

You are limited to one drive plugged in at a time, but can swap out as many drives as you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts