OFFICIAL External Storage Information

I just started archiving 8 episodes of Planet Earth. Screen said it would take 42gb of space. That equals 5.25gb per. At that rate (and I know you can't assume that), I would have 80 hours of HD on a 500gb drive.

I called and acitivated mine this morning @ 8:15 eastern time. The rep was aware of the feature, he explained the $39.99 charge and said that it might take an hour for the authorization to hit my receiver. After ten minutes I tried and was able to manage it, but as soon as the transfer started it stopped and said there was an error with my device. I did a power cord re-boot and now I'm transfering 17 hours of HD which is going to take over three hours.

The name of one of the PPV movies I'm transfering (Flags of our Fathers) got changed to "Locked Event" and when I tried editing the name, the name change wouldn't stick. At first the program was "protected" and later I "unprotected" it, but it still appears as "Locked Event". I'll have to wait to see if I'm able to watch that program or if the transfer on it worked.

I got the update last night. My router died yesterday so I ran to best Buy and picked yp the router and sawan external drive on sale. I will call to activate whn i get home but since I am leaving town for several days I may not get to enjoy it for awhile.

You are limited to one drive plugged in at a time, but can swap out as many drives as you like.

Just a question, so if you have one filled (drive 1) and use another one (Drive 2) and then want to go back to drive1, the DVR will not re-format drive 2. Is that the understanding?

Called in this morning and was activated with no problems.

On a separate note, their system was not letting her adjust my programming package to DVR Advantage 100 (or whatever they are going to call it). After a few minutes on hold the issue was resolved.

Cheers,
Red

DOH! :eek:

I'm such a dufus... I couldn't figure out why my 60GB laptop drive wasn't recognized. After scratching my head for a while, it occurred to me that the external enclosure I used was USB1.1 and not USB2.0.

Figured I should mention this here in case someone else forgets this important little detail!

Cheers,
Red

Format time?

In following the thread for a while, I don't see mentioned the amount of time involved for the 622 to format a 500GB drive?
Could someone chime in with the time involved? Thanks, Gerry

I was going to use 250gb laptop drive but usb 2.0 they don't require a power cord the run off the usb port power. I will try my home made 1T drives to see if they work.

After complain earlier this month about not paying the enabling fee I have decided to get it since all 3 of my 622 are full of programs I want to keep.

In following the thread for a while, I don't see mentioned the amount of time involved for the 622 to format a 500GB drive?
I did not stick around, but I'd say 10 minutes or so.

It was about 10 minutes for format and reboot. I walked away as it was formatting - can't give exact time.

Ok, going to activate the external storage... Uggg.... I called the number listed in here...9:31am EST Calling in... The girl says she doesnt know anything about it... Now she says she isnt sure you can do it... SHe is looking through her computer trying to figure out how to activate it. She says 'we havent been trained on this yet' Looking, Looking, Looking... She says it looks like someone else has to do it. Oh, ok she says.... 'Do you have a hard drive?' DUH! 'Gee, this is going to cost you 39.99' DUH! So she runs my card and says all is ok... Im at work, so I will see when I get home.....

IIRC, it took about 10-15 mins for the full process including the reboot for a 500GB Hitachi I'm using.

Got my external storage activated. Took literally 2 minutes total. Called number at 6:30am CST this morning. The guy immediately knew what to do. Confirmed that I was OK with the 39.99 fee, I said yes. He activated it and it was live in 1 minute. Started offloading about 240gig of recorded RAVE programs. Says it will take 11hrs!!! At least it let me put that in the background and turn the TV back on. At work now so not sure what the status of the transfer is.

Can anyone confirm that the USB drive is not accessible from TV2? And if not, any info on if it eventually will be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts