Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

OK... Here is the summary of my install:
Vivek: If you happen to be monitoring this thread..... Many "attapersons" go to your folks for the new hardware and especially the new interface. The CSR and Installer were both Excellent! If you want to PM me, I will pass along information so that you can carry these thanks down to the staff who are working so hard to provide a great system and experience for the customer.

Absolutely monitoring the threads. I am glad you had a positive experience. Yes - please PM me with the info and I will be sure to recognize the teams. Enjoy your Hopper 3

My upgrade from VIP622 and 211s was processed by Sam from DIRT on Saturday afternoon. Sam did a great job, getting the install of a Hopper3 and two Joeys scheduled for Sunday afternoon.
The tech, Cortez, arrived on time and was very efficient and courteous. I was his first Hopper3 install and he didn't have any problems with the setup, about 2 1/2 hours. I am loving this Hopper3 system.
Thanks to all the DISH folks who made the best whole home Hopper3 possible.
Thanks Scott for a great information resource.
I am impressed with the Hopper3 and I am off to explore/play.
Since you came from a 622, did the installer have to change any coax lines?

And here I was thinking it was a myth he is an active Sat Guy :D....I hope he sees this post but I think he & his team is not only a credit to Dish but to the whole Sat/Cable industry for setting a higher equipment standard & keeping Dish very relevant in this fast changing market.

I exist :)

Thanks to all of you for your active posts and the help you provide the satguys community.

Vivek

I don't like the home screen coming up when I turn on H3. It should just go to the program automatically. Now I have to hit Cancel.

On startup, does it always go to the home screen instead of last viewed channel? Is there a way to change that?

Sadly, that is a "feature" of the new H3, and not a "bug", and even more unfortunate, there is currently no way to turn that "feature" off. :( By far, my least favorite aspect of the H3.

Yeah it's the one thing I don't like so far.

Dish really is trying something new here, so my suggestion is to politely provide feedback on their own forums as well. That you really do not like the feature. They will listen if it is something that frustrates or annoys customers. Things are pretty hectic for them I would imagine, but sure some cool things are in store for us in the coming months!

(My suggestion is to use the remote Hopper power button to turn the Hopper on right to live TV and then the select button / touchpad press takes you to the menu they have now. Solves both issues without confusing settings to find and configure. Since using a 'select' button is not a logical way to turn the Hopper on it is the menu route and the logical Hopper power on takes the customer right to live TV, like they would expect to happen. A simple note about this on the standby screen would let customers know how that works.)

Yeah it's the one thing I don't like so far.
I could find that feature useful. I always had this habit of going to a channel or in the middle of a game & set it to record as I had to leave. I would come back, turn the unit on only to see near the end of the game or a discussion of the just completed game & the result. I always wished then that there was some way to foolproof my recording strategy so this could be a saviour for me, but I can see it being annoying more often than not.

Reactions: Tron2012
Tech arrived at 4:00 and finished at 5:51. His first Hopper 3 install. Everything when smooth. He changed me from WA to EA (said they've been doing that to everyone in the Kansas City area for the last couple of years). He wanted the remotes but I kept them. He said DISH charges them $7.50 each when they don't return them but thought he'd be able to find a couple of old ones around the shop to send in.
So far I'm happy with the new UI but not the remote. Paired the 40 remote with no problems once I unpaired it from the Hopper 2K that is. Haven't restored recordings from EHD yet I need to verify if he hooked the EHD up to the USB 3.0 port. Having problems getting the WiFi broadband connector to work right on the Joey. Connected OK but keeps deactivating.

I could find that feature useful

I can understand that some folks might like it or find it useful...I just hope they will add the option to turn it off for those of us that don't. ;)

My current workaround was to disable standby mode. At least that way I only have to deal with it once a day when turned on after the nightly reboot. Is it a big deal? No...just an unneeded (to me) annoyance.

Reactions: Tron2012
Having a problems playing back shows from external USB 3.0 drive. When I click on the show it plays but in a small box on the upper right corner. The rest of the screen is black. The only way I can find to go full screen is to open the guide then close it.

Also trying to get 5.1 audio from H3 HDMI to my 4K TV then optical out to my receiver. I turned DD on in the menu, but not luck. My blue ray is hooked up the same way and the 5.1 works fine.

First Sunday with no timer conflicts.

Sadly, that is a "feature" of the new H3, and not a "bug", and even more unfortunate, there is currently no way to turn that "feature" off. :( By far, my least favorite aspect of the H3.
same here I find that feature annoying and it now requires me to push a additional button get rid of it.

Reactions: DWS44
I can understand that some folks might like it or find it useful...I just hope they will add the option to turn it off for those of us that don't. ;)

My current workaround was to disable standby mode. At least that way I only have to deal with it once a day when turned on after the nightly reboot. Is it a big deal? No...just an unneeded (to me) annoyance.
True but then a forgetful SOB like me would forget to turn it on when I really need it. :p

Having a problems playing back shows from external USB 3.0 drive.

It will likely settle in after the first 24-48 hours, and problems like you are experiencing with your EHD will probably subside. Newly installed Hoppers can do some strange things in the first 24 hours after install! ;)

Ok folks this thread is ONLY for the SatelliteGuys members who have had a Hopper 3 Installed!

We want to hear how about your ordering experience!
We want to hear about your install how did it go?
We want to hear what the Techs did and upgraded at your house!
We want to hear your thoughts on the Hopper 3!
We want to hear what you would change about the Hopper 3?

Consider this thread the SatelliteGuys Hopper 3 Users Club.

If you don't have a Hopper 3 PLEASE do not post in this thread. Please just watch and learn. :D Posts by folks that do not have a Hopper 3 will be removed. If you have any questions please post them in a different thread. Thanks! :D :D

Thanks!
Thanks for posting this thread, Scott. I put my name on the list, and was on page 6. I was going home from an out of town trip Saturday night and I got a message from Chris on the DIRT Team. When I got home, we message back and forth, and he set up my install for Sunday afternoon. Then the Tech called and rescheduled for Sunday morning.

Install was fine. He changed out the Dish for a 1000.2, removed the Duo node, removed 2 hoppers, and a Joey. He installed 1 H3, 2 Joey 2.0s, the new Dish antenna, and a hub. The Tech was very friendly and positive. Mine was his first H3 install. He took all the equipment with him when he left.

I like the H3. I am still getting used to the 52 Remote.

The whole process was almost too efficient! I did not have time to pull off all of my recordings or timers. My wife is upset that we lost timers and recordings.

During the install process, something with our Control 4 System got messed up. I am still trying to figure out the issue. I am thinking about ditching the Control 4 system anyway. It is finicky. Anyone have a suggestion for a universal remote system that works inside a cabinet? :)

Btw Scott, please make a note of the subs here who got their H3s & are still regularly posting here throughout the day. These guys are loyal. If I had my H3 today no one would be hearing from me at least a for few days as I would be buried head deep into the features. Work would probably be an option also lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)