Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

They certainly exist as many of us are on EA, though you would still need the wing dish. The EA Hybrid LNB only picks up 61.5/72. Hopefully they are aware of this and just ran out.

Well, I pressed the issue at the end of the install and to me they sounded like hybrid WA is all that was available. Since their group has done 6-8 installs of Hopper 3 since Sunday, I'm thinking that they ran out and are just using western Arc for now. The wing dish is fine with me since a solution will be done later on.

-Mark

Had my H3 installed Sunday afternoon, but wanted to give it a few days to settle in before I posted, so here goes.

I was 14 on the list, and MikeH contacted me Saturday morning, and we bounced messages back and forth through out the day, and came up with a Sunday afternoon install. Been with Dish almost 20 years, and he took very good care of me, and install cost!! Thanks again Mike.

Techs showed up around 1230. Met them at the van, and explained current set up. Due to ZERO line of site to EA, I had two Dish 500s pointing at the WA birds. All 3 cables going to a DP33 then to the Dual Node. On the inside I had 2 HWS and 2 J1s. With that information they grabbed what they needed from the van and went to work on the outside equipment. They changed out the main dish with the 1000.2, and hybrid LNBF. The wing dish was left alone, other than running the cable from it, to the 1000.2. Went under the house, DP33 and Duel Node removed, hub installed and cables connected. H3 hooked up, powered on, and set up went as quick as the updating would allow. Then set up the 2 J2s. The total installation took about two hours. Like others have mentioned, they told me they were taking the old remotes, and would not budge. I then requested to let me restore my timers to the new units before they boxed them up, and they went "What are you talking about???" They said never heard of that, besides, the 40.0 will not pair. I paired the remote the H3, and showed them how to do the restore. They were impressed, and left that remote, but still took the other 3. Oh well, I use a Harmony anyway, and have another 40.0 form a previous upgrade that never came out of the plastic the wife can use in our bedroom. That was her only concern about the upgrade that she would loose the 40.0 that she is used to using from memory.

Over all very very happy with the H3, and I think the picture looks better!! There are a few gripes that many others have already mentioned. I don't like the banner at the bottom. The extra button pushes that you used to be able to do with ONE push of the colored buttons. The jury is still out on the Home screen at start up. I'm kind of starting to warming up to it. That's it for now, although I'm sure I have left something out.o_O

Will not let them take my remotes as I have a WJ I own & it still uses the old remote. Want all 3 remotes to work the same until I can get a newer remote for the WJ - or may wait & get 3 new voice remotes when they come out.

I can't believe how many of these techs want to take the old remotes. They have no idea if those are the original remotes or ones you purchased. I would just tell them that you bought the remotes and they are in fact yours.

Reactions: KenSoren
Installed yesterday, took about two hours, install relatively smooth, was tech's 2nd Hooper 3.
Very quick and responsive, enjoy the new guide.
One quick question: In the guide my two wireless Joeys (cannot have 4K's because of wiring at house) show "subscribed HD channels", I cannot find this option in the Hopper itself. I've read about the hiding the SD mirrored channels, any way to just show "subscribed HD channels" on the Hopper or do I need to make a Favorites list to hide all the clutter?
I see the same thing, after restoring from backup it showed the guide with a HD subscribed view, but if you change your view there's no way to get that view back. The software clearly is capable of doing it, but maybe the GUI is missing that choice? I'd like that view back much sooner than later.

I can't believe how many of these techs want to take the old remotes. They have no idea if those are the original remotes or ones you purchased. I would just tell them that you bought the remotes and they are in fact yours.

No telling where it was back in the multitude of threads/posts of install stories, but one person reported being told by the installer the installers were charged back something like $7 per remote if they didn't collect them. Seemed like a stretch to me, but who knows.

No telling where it was back in the multitude of threads/posts of install stories, but one person reported being told by the installer the installers were charged back something like $7 per remote if they didn't collect them. Seemed like a stretch to me, but who knows.

That sounds made up. Like I said before, they have no way of knowing whether it's an original remote or one you purchased. It's not like you are leasing remotes, they are now your property.

I have my install tomorrow afternoon and I will tell the tech the remotes are mine and stay with me. If he has a problem with that then he needs to talk to whoever he need to talk to but the remotes are not going with him.

Reactions: Scherrman
I have my install scheduled for Friday, but am reconsidering only because I will lose Dish Anywhere functionality for DVR and Live TV when I drop one of my HWS to go to a 1 Hopper 3, 2 Joey 2.0 and 1 Joey 4K setup. With my current 2 HWS setup, my children in DC and Austin can both "dial in" at the same time and watch Grizzlies games because they both each get access to a HWS. Or I can get another Joey 2.0 and just attach a slingbox to it and let them control that. That option is not as slick as Dish Anywhere. Does anyone have any other ideas? I confirmed with Dish that the Hopper 3, even with its 16 tuners, generates only 1 live TV or DVR stream which is viewable using Dish Anywhere.

I got my Hopper installed earlier today. It was relatively painless and is working well for the most part. I do have 2 questions at this point.

1) Has anyone been able to add OTA channels to a Favorites list? I have had no problems managing all other channels on the Favorites, but I just can't get any of the OTA channels to "stick" on the list.
2) How can I transfer recordings from an External Hard Drive to the Hopper drive? I can see my External Hard Drive and all its recordings, but I don't see the menu item to do transfers.

2) How can I transfer recordings from an External Hard Drive to the Hopper drive? I can see my External Hard Drive and all its recordings said:
Go to the DVR screen. Choose the 'Sources' icon. Select 'External Hard Drive 1'. Select Options. Select 'Manage Recordings' Select the programs you want to transfer. Choose the 'Transfer to Hopper' icon.

Reactions: CubsWin
What an ordeal! Ups finally delivered my h3 and hybrid lnb. Switched the lnb, put in the hub and the receiver. Went through the dance and the software download was speedy. Trouble was at activation, my god! Took 1 hour on the phone and speaking to 4 reps before it could be activated. I have a pay in advance account and I was supposed to pay a$4 prorated dvr fee, 2 of the reps wanted to charge me $27 for some reason. Smh! This is my 3rd receiver i own and never had this much trouble activating.

Installer coming tomorrow, what are most people tipping their technician??
I tipped mine $10 and a bottle of water, lol. He was really nice and thanks to this forum, he thought I was a genius because I knew so much, and much of what he didn't know. I taught him a few things and took all the credit! hehe. Oh and I have him all nines in the survey. I think they'd rather have nines on the survey then a tip.

I was thinking 20 bucks, enough to enjoy a decent dinner on me...if they are good, and escpecially if they are passionate about it I may tip more. Last guy loved his job and Dish and think I gave him 40, just cause it was fun seeing him enjoy his job and talking about technology...and he made sure it was perfect.

Reactions: ralfyguy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts