Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

Got my Hopper 3 two days ago, 3/9. I ordered at a Dish booth at the local Home and Builders Show down at the St. Louis Convention Center. I wasn't intent on going with a Hopper 3 since I just upgraded last August with a Hopper w/sling and 2 wireless joey's. I didn't think I would qualify for any deal but the agent who was there said let's call and see. As it ended up the only out of pocket requirement was to carry the maintenance for 6 months. I thought that was okay so we placed the order.

The install was relatively painless. The installer first replaced the LNB on my existing dish which is aimed at the western arc. I asked whether he was going to re-aim east, like most of the new installations around me are, and he said no. He said the HD bird would be lower on the horizon than the western alignment and I'd be more susceptible for HD outages in bad weather.

Once done with the LNB change out he replaced my solo node in the basement with another splitter. He didn't give it a name, but that was a pretty quick change out.

After that point it was a matter of changing out the old Hopper with the Hopper 3 and pairing the existing wireless Joey's with the new Hopper 3 and getting their software updates. I have an external Western Digital 1TB USB hard drive and had backed up all my programming on the old Hopper. He noted that connecting that drive would be one of the last things he would do since the set up diagnostics have been shown to fail when an external hard drive is connected too early.

I had backed up my old Hopper timers onto my 40.0 controller. I asked if I could keep that even though we had the new 52.0 controller with the Hopper 3. He said yes and I asked him for help to restore those timers to the new Hopper. He seemed unfamiliar with how to do this on the Hopper 3 and ended up backing up the Hopper 3 to the 40.0 controller which essentially wiped out the backup. He connected the old Hopper back up to power and attempted to pair the 40.0 controller to it. It wouldn't pair so he pulled a new 40.0 controller off the truck and paired it up with the old Hopper. He did a backup to it and then paired that controller to the Hopper 3. This time he did things right and restored to the Hopper 3 and we got all the timers loaded. He plugged in the external drive and we began the transfer process to move selected programming back onto the Hopper 3 drive.

So far I've been very pleased with the new Hopper 3 and I'm getting more familiar with the UI. My wife uses the 40.0 controller and I use the 52.0. She made comment that the picture on our Mitsubishi seemed to be brighter and sharper. I thought the same and made some slight adjustments with the TV to bring down a little of the harshness. I've not discovered any "bugs" yet in the UI and overall I think Dish has a winner here. I think the thing I was looking for the most was the extra tuners. We have about 27 timers set and while we don't really have issues with same time recordings, the early one minute start and 3 minute extension times we have set on the timers caused conflicts with back to back recordings when we were viewing other programming. I know I could have changed those parameters but I do find that extra time has helped get complete recordings of programs.

Jack

Reactions: NR2D
Got my Hopper 3 two days ago, 3/9. I ordered at a Dish booth at the local Home and Builders Show down at the St. Louis Convention Center. I wasn't intent on going with a Hopper 3 since I just upgraded last August with a Hopper w/sling and 2 wireless joey's. I didn't think I would qualify for any deal but the agent who was there said let's call and see. As it ended up the only out of pocket requirement was to carry the maintenance for 6 months. I thought that was okay so we placed the order.

The install was relatively painless. The installer first replaced the LNB on my existing dish which is aimed at the western arc. I asked whether he was going to re-aim east, like most of the new installations around me are, and he said no. He said the HD bird would be lower on the horizon than the western alignment and I'd be more susceptible for HD outages in bad weather.

Once done with the LNB change out he replaced my solo node in the basement with another splitter. He didn't give it a name, but that was a pretty quick change out.

After that point it was a matter of changing out the old Hopper with the Hopper 3 and pairing the existing wireless Joey's with the new Hopper 3 and getting their software updates. I have an external Western Digital 1TB USB hard drive and had backed up all my programming on the old Hopper. He noted that connecting that drive would be one of the last things he would do since the set up diagnostics have been shown to fail when an external hard drive is connected too early.

I had backed up my old Hopper timers onto my 40.0 controller. I asked if I could keep that even though we had the new 52.0 controller with the Hopper 3. He said yes and I asked him for help to restore those timers to the new Hopper. He seemed unfamiliar with how to do this on the Hopper 3 and ended up backing up the Hopper 3 to the 40.0 controller which essentially wiped out the backup. He connected the old Hopper back up to power and attempted to pair the 40.0 controller to it. It wouldn't pair so he pulled a new 40.0 controller off the truck and paired it up with the old Hopper. He did a backup to it and then paired that controller to the Hopper 3. This time he did things right and restored to the Hopper 3 and we got all the timers loaded. He plugged in the external drive and we began the transfer process to move selected programming back onto the Hopper 3 drive.

So far I've been very pleased with the new Hopper 3 and I'm getting more familiar with the UI. My wife uses the 40.0 controller and I use the 52.0. She made comment that the picture on our Mitsubishi seemed to be brighter and sharper. I thought the same and made some slight adjustments with the TV to bring down a little of the harshness. I've not discovered any "bugs" yet in the UI and overall I think Dish has a winner here. I think the thing I was looking for the most was the extra tuners. We have about 27 timers set and while we don't really have issues with same time recordings, the early one minute start and 3 minute extension times we have set on the timers caused conflicts with back to back recordings when we were viewing other programming. I know I could have changed those parameters but I do find that extra time has helped get complete recordings of programs.

Jack

I'm a new Hopper 3 user also. I have several timers that are back to back on the same station and so far I the only problems I have seen was when I thought the next recording was to start the DVR stopped. I went back to the show on the DVR screen and hit the select button and the next show started fine. The only thing that threw me off was 2 shows with the same name didn't have 2 entries on the DVR recorded screen. I was just thinking that changing the timer to record all new might solve the problem.

I'm a new Hopper 3 user also. I have several timers that are back to back on the same station and so far I the only problems I have seen was when I thought the next recording was to start the DVR stopped. I went back to the show on the DVR screen and hit the select button and the next show started fine. The only thing that threw me off was 2 shows with the same name didn't have 2 entries on the DVR recorded screen. I was just thinking that changing the timer to record all new might solve the problem.
My error in not clarifying these last few sentences. I used to have issues with the Hopper w/sling not having enough tuners due to the extra time back to back recordings took. I've had no such problems with the Hopper 3.

Jack

Reactions: NR2D
My first post. Wanted to give my Hopper 3 experience. Installed H3 with 4k Joey and two Joey 2's two weeks ago. A few glitches here and there but nothing unexpected for such a sophisticated system, that is until tonight. Watching a recording and got a black screen. Turned the H3 off then back on and started watching the recording again. Got another black screen. Reset the H3. Noticed some recordings I had set were not recording. Checked timers and had lost them all. Also, lost all scheduling. Had backed up to two remotes so attempted to restore off each of them. No joy. Then I discovered I couldn't set any new timers. Each try gave a dialog box with 'Timer creation failed, Please try back later.' with an ok button. Called tech support, was told they would have to research and would take 2 to 4 business days. Really bummed after being so excited about the system.

Everything went okay with install, but the Hopper 3 is having lots of tech problems! And I hate that I can not talk to tech support after 9 pm!
Problem 1 - Will not let me record (says Timer creation failed, try again later) or turn on Prime Time Anytime (when I exit screen after setup it again is set to off!)
Problem 2- Will not work with Dish anywhere, says buy a sling adapter online

Dish Anywhere will take a few days to come alive. There seems to be an issue with timers at the moment. This is a large issue. I'd bet Dish is scrambling on fixing it right now.

After 20 years with Directv, we switched to Dish...only been about 24 hours, but we are thrilled with the Hopper 3! Only complaint is that we can't figure out a way to hook up hubs NON bluetooth wireless headphones. They are senheisser wireless RF and we are just out of ideas. Anyone else solved this?
thanks!

After 20 years with Directv, we switched to Dish...only been about 24 hours, but we are thrilled with the Hopper 3! Only complaint is that we can't figure out a way to hook up hubs NON bluetooth wireless headphones. They are senheisser wireless RF and we are just out of ideas. Anyone else solved this?
thanks!
I have my Sennheiser Wireless RF headphone connected to one of my HWSs thru the RCA ports and it works great. I would think it should work with the Hopper 3 too unless you are watching something in 4k. The Hopper 3 Component and RCA ports do not work when watching something in 4k.

Reactions: JSheridan
FIXED! Thanks! We got the free year of Netflix, $200 Visa gift Card, $5 off the bill for the first 10 months, 3 year price lock, 90 days of all premiums, free regional sports (package was the 120 plus, which the tech never heard of) free equipment, and free install. I think the picture looks darker, but hubs says he doesn't see a difference...so far we are happy...little things are annoying, but again, the Dish experience is new to us. It is soooooo much faster than DIrecTv, that alone was worth the switch!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Had the H3 installed with 3 joey2. one of the cables for joey2 had a issue so tech installed a wireless joey, which wasn't happy about cause it has the old remote and some of the features aren't compatible. The main problem I have is I transferred all our DVR'd shows the the external hard drive from our Hopper2 and well its not compatible with H3 so if you have DVR and think you can transfer to H3 from H1 or H2, you can't so watch them as much as possible before you change. The other thing I miss is having PinP its not accessible on the joey2 even though its listed as a feature. you have to purchase the Bluetooth adapter to use BT headphones with the joeys and they don't have the best connection. I do like the new UI and it is a clearer picture. There is some lag in the system but I figured its mostly due to updates of bugs since its so new. The new remote that is to be released will be much better cause its back lite and with a new remote I have to keep getting a light to check my buttons when watching in dark. Also its a bit confusing with "stop" and deleting shows that you dvr'd. the select button is your stop now and from there you have to make choices for what you want to do.
These are minor things and mostly just learning a new Ui but it is a greatly improved system. One last thing having a dedicated button for CC is also a missing feature, its now two click process to get to.
Its been 3 days since install and will update as things happen or problems arise.
And if customer service tells you "oh yes you get the netflix for a year with a new contract" you don't I've been fighting with them because I have chat messages stating that the netflix offer was included and now since I have signed and installed now they are saying its not included. I don't really care but again, if you offer it you should honor it.

Had the H3 installed with 3 joey2. one of the cables for joey2 had a issue so tech installed a wireless joey, which wasn't happy about cause it has the old remote and some of the features aren't compatible. The main problem I have is I transferred all our DVR'd shows the the external hard drive from our Hopper2 and well its not compatible with H3 so if you have DVR and think you can transfer to H3 from H1 or H2, you can't so watch them as much as possible before you change. The other thing I miss is having PinP its not accessible on the joey2 even though its listed as a feature. you have to purchase the Bluetooth adapter to use BT headphones with the joeys and they don't have the best connection. I do like the new UI and it is a clearer picture. There is some lag in the system but I figured its mostly due to updates of bugs since its so new. The new remote that is to be released will be much better cause its back lite and with a new remote I have to keep getting a light to check my buttons when watching in dark. Also its a bit confusing with "stop" and deleting shows that you dvr'd. the select button is your stop now and from there you have to make choices for what you want to do.
These are minor things and mostly just learning a new Ui but it is a greatly improved system. One last thing having a dedicated button for CC is also a missing feature, its now two click process to get to.
Its been 3 days since install and will update as things happen or problems arise.
And if customer service tells you "oh yes you get the netflix for a year with a new contract" you don't I've been fighting with them because I have chat messages stating that the netflix offer was included and now since I have signed and installed now they are saying its not included. I don't really care but again, if you offer it you should honor it.

and quickly, having 16 tuners is a great improvement! I had two hoppers and 2 joeys before to accommodate all our recording. Also Primetime now only uses 1 tuner not 4! so during primetime you still have 15 tuners available! thats a great improvement!

thanks!
I would see if there is a output on your television for audio out. since you don't have bluetooth you would get the signal from the television instead of dish unit.

I would see if there is a output on your television for audio out. since you don't have bluetooth you would get the signal from the television instead of dish unit.
My TV has only a digital output for audio - I purchased an inexpensive USB-powered Digital-Analog converter that plugs into the TV's audio output and has RCA jacks for my RF headphones. Works great. My only (minor) complaint is that I can't listen (as I sometimes like to do) late at night unless the TV is on.

and quickly, having 16 tuners is a great improvement! I had two hoppers and 2 joeys before to accommodate all our recording. Also Primetime now only uses 1 tuner not 4! so during primetime you still have 15 tuners available! thats a great improvement!
Primetime has only ever used 1 tuner. Did you have PTAT turned on the old Hopper?

You definitely can transfer your recordings to the H3 from a H1 or H2

The main problem I have is I transferred all our DVR'd shows the the external hard drive from our Hopper2 and well its not compatible with H3 so if you have DVR and think you can transfer to H3 from H1 or H2, you can't so watch them as much as possible before you change.
How long since your install? The H3, like all Hoppers takes 48-72 hrs to become fully functional. If your EHD is not recognized at the end of that span, do a power plug reboot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts