Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

Am I the only person who seems to have problems no matter what kind of Hopper I have? I've had FOUR HWS over the past 15 months, all of which had to be replaced by Dish for various performance reasons. So now I have a Hopper3 and a Joey 2. But the DVR functions seem to work badly more often than not. Here are a couple examples:

*** The Joey, in particular, is extremely choppy & non-responsive in terms of DVR functions. Right now, I jumped back a couple minutes on a live program and placed it in pause for a few minutes. When I tried to put it in play from that position, it refused to leave the pause mode. It ignored the play/pause button and the picture has remained frozen on the TV for about 30 minutes now. This problem continues despite rebooting the Joey.

*** When viewing the TV ACTIVITY screen and choosing one of the listed programs, it gives me the normal options when I highlight it -- including the option to view from the beginning. Both the H3 and Joey ignore this option when I press the button.

Am I cursed, or am I just doing something wrong? LOL

I have been a Dish user for more than 15 years, and generally love the service. Have had my Hopper 3 about 2 weeks now and love it except for one little thing. I have 1 Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys. Before, I had 3 722's and 1 712. Therefore, each person had there own timer and recorded instance of a given program. Well, now we can only record each program once, and have to share the recording! How annoying! Even though you can resume at different points from different rooms, you still have to check with other people in the house before deleting a recording. I know this might sound petty,
but I want a copy of recordings I make to do with as I see fit. This is especially troublesome for network shows that have a tendency to air only once a week! There needs to be a way to make multiple recordings of the same program and save them to different folders. With sixteen tuners you would think this wouldn't be a problem. I didn't have this problem with the previous setup.

I called to complain and asked about perhaps purchasing a 2nd Hopper 3. Apparently they are not currently programmed to have 2 on the same network. After speaking to someone higher up, I have arranged for the 2nd Hopper 3 I purchased from Amazon(only $250!) to be activated. Righ now what I need is a wiring diagram to split 2 off the same Satellite feed. I don't really care if they can see each other or not(that would be nice, though), I just want my own set of recordings. I will install a separate(2nd) dish if I must to get what I want. Help!

PS - The install went perfect and the techs were great! I love everything about the Hopper 3 except this. Sure I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks!

every time i call dish, they say no free upgrade, but can offer to me for $150, and an additional $3/month dvr fee
I guess I should have said 'most.' Some folks don't qualify for the free stuff for many reasons.... You are going to get the $3 increase no matter what you do. Charges remain the same whether you own the equipment or not.

My Hopper 3 software update was April 8th.

Has anyone received a more recent update?

I was hoping someone would check their Hopper 3's settings to see if April 8th was their last software update. Dish Tech gave me the impression that updates were more like weekly, not monthly. It would seem many of the issues would have been corrected by now.

Would someone kindly check their Hopper 3's settings.

Thanks!

I was hoping someone would check their Hopper 3's settings to see if April 8th was their last software update. Dish Tech gave me the impression that updates were more like weekly, not monthly. It would seem many of the issues would have been corrected by now.

Thanks!
My update date is also 4/8. Software version U309.

Reactions: DERG

Thanks!
The weekly ones are beta. I assume they are fixing bugs as well as integrating the 50.0 remote and the Hoppergo. CAN'T WAIT...

Reactions: DERG
So, because of the new hybrid LNB and the way that it's wired through the network hub, I got to thinking... This is a SWM system. So, I took out the network hub and replace it with a directv SWM switch. I currently have a Hopper 3 and one 4K Joey. It works perfectly and has been doing so for over a week. So, as a dishwork tech who has a gabillion of these switches that I've acquired from customer flips, we no longer have to buy the network hubs and splitters to make this work. Hey, a few bucks per install can add up in the end!

So, because of the new hybrid LNB and the way that it's wired through the network hub, I got to thinking... This is a SWM system. So, I took out the network hub and replace it with a directv SWM switch. I currently have a Hopper 3 and one 4K Joey. It works perfectly and has been doing so for over a week. So, as a dishwork tech who has a gabillion of these switches that I've acquired from customer flips, we no longer have to buy the network hubs and splitters to make this work. Hey, a few bucks per install can add up in the end!
Glad you aren't touching my system. :confused:

Except that DirecTV SWM splitters are not approved for DISH installs, period. Sure, they might work but there's no way we're using them. It just makes sense to spend the couple of extra bucks and do a quality job using the properly specced parts.

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)