Offset angle forthe Orby Satellite 117W

Walrus67

Original poster
May 27, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Can anyone explain how to get the offset angle for the Orby 117W. I got the Elevation & Azimuth from Dish Pointer.com, but it didn't list the offset angle. My Zip code is 28027 in North Carolina. I am converting a DTV slimline dish. Thanks in advance for your help..

I might be confusing the offset with skew. I guess I mean skew setting....
Dishpointer shows a Skew of 39.8 for the zip you listed..I played with the Skew on my Orby dish and it didn't make any difference on either transponder where it was set at...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-191516.png
    Screenshot_20200824-191516.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 311
Remember though, if you're using a DIRECTV Slimline mount the skew or "tilt" setting on the back plate is numbered to be 90° minus the skew number from dishpointer.

So you would set the skew on the dish back plate for 90°- 39.8° or approx. 50°.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dishpointer shows a Skew of 39.8 for the zip you listed..I played with the Skew on my Orby dish and it didn't make any difference on either transponder where it was set at...
I used a fta dish that uses LNB skew with the dish staying fixed - no dish skew so it's easy to fine tune the LNB skew and found it did make a difference. Dishnetwork has a strong circular satellite close by at 119W so spending a little extra time to peak the skew should help keep interference at bay.

I used a fta dish that uses LNB skew with the dish staying fixed - no dish skew so it's easy to fine tune the LNB skew and found it did make a difference. Dishnetwork has a strong circular satellite close by at 119W so spending a little extra time to peak the skew should help keep interference at bay.
I wonder why Orby choose an elliptical dish anyway for a single satellite slot service?

Elliptical dishes are really needed for receiving from multi-sat positions at once.

Unless Orby wants to future-proof for possible expansion to other slots.

I wonder why Orby choose an elliptical dish anyway for a single satellite slot service?

Elliptical dishes are really needed for receiving from multi-sat positions at once.

Unless Orby wants to future-proof for possible expansion to other slots.

From what I have learned recently a dish that is wider then tall offers better adjacent satellite transponder interference rejection. Seems opposite to what one might think. Perhaps it has more to do with it simply being bigger. My 76cm fta dish is working great for OrbyTV and it is bigger for sure.

Reactions: Titanium
You guys are over-thinking this. They likely used an elliptical dish simply because that supplier made them the best deal for it.

Based on my discussions with their technical leads, the elliptical shape and fixed LNBF mounting were specifically selected for the attenuation of adjacent satellite interference. :glasses

You guys are over-thinking this. They likely used an elliptical dish simply because that supplier made them the best deal for it.
Style might have had something to do with the choice too. (it looks like other satellite dishes in use so it won't look different).

Speaking of best deal, I think it might be possible to make a satellite dish out of old news papers, glue and aluminium foil - now that would be low cost for sure with no shipping charges. ;-)

Style might have had something to do with the choice too. (it looks like other satellite dishes in use so it won't look different).

Speaking of best deal, I think it might be possible to make a satellite dish out of old news papers, glue and aluminium foil - now that would be low cost for sure with no shipping charges. ;-)
I would love to see it and how well it works

Some sats are high enough power, that you can use a large pizza-pan with and lnbf mounted in front, and received signals. Though there's so many of all sorts of dishes out there for free, why bother making one anymore.

I really don't understand why people don't just buy the self-install kit with receiver from Orby's site for either $100 or DVR $200 since your paying that for just the receiver anyhow

I really don't understand why people don't just buy the self-install kit with receiver from Orby's site for either $100 or DVR $200 since your paying that for just the receiver anyhow
Agreed, I would definitely do that now. When I wanted to give it a try back in November of last year that option was not available yet so I did the next best thing and modded their competitor's dish. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)