Offset dish confusion

sanpat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Rockport Tx.
Hello guys ,I set up my polar bud no problem tracks sats well ,now I came across a 6 ft solid offset dish, the bud is 32.5 elevation it's c band ,want to set 6 ft dish for ku ,to aim it do I subtract offset from 32.5 which would be 32.5 - 22 = 10.5 elevation for 6 ft dish ????? Any help thanks

the bud is 32.5 elevation

Total elevation angle to clarke belt due south would be 57.5 degrees for rockport tx,
so that would be equivalent to 32.5 degrees total declination angle.

When the offset dish has offset angle 22 degrees, and the dish is mounted upside up,
then dish face elevation angle due south should be 57.5 - 22 = 35.5 degrees,
and if you prefer to measure dish face declination angle instead, it would be 54.5 degrees.

(N.B. elevation angle = 90 - declination angle)

Does this help?

Greetz,
A33

Last edited:
Total elevation angle to clarke belt due south would be 57.5 degrees for rockport tx,
so that would be equivalent to 32.5 degrees total declination angle.

When the offset dish has offset angle 22 degrees, and the dish is mounted upside up,
then dish face elevation angle due south should be 57.5 - 22 = 35.5 degrees,
and if you prefer to measure dish face declination angle instead, it would be 54.5 degrees.

(N.B. elevation angle = 90 - declination angle)

Does this help?

Greetz,
A33
Ok tried alignment se dish face to 35.5 and 180 south and could not get a signal ,I have a 30 inch dish set to 97w ku locked and scan channels fine48quality signal, dish face on it is35.5 at 180 south I'll swap lnb for known good one .Is a 6 ft dish more or less easier to aim than a 30 inch dish ,I will run at it this weekend, thanks a33

I recommend a simple (cheap) satellite beeper/satellite finder, for the FINDING of satellites.
It beeps louder and louder, when you receive some sort of satellite signal, so when you are aimed to the Clarke Belt. Though you don't know which satellite you then receive, you can determine that from there.

Also using the sun for finding the proper azimuth direction works good. I use Satellite Look Angle Calculator for the proper minute-calculation, when the sun has the same azimuth as the wanted satellite/due south direction.

By the way. How do you know your dish has offset of 22 degrees?
Does the dish bracket have an elevation scale?

Greetz,
A33

I recommend a simple (cheap) satellite beeper/satellite finder, for the FINDING of satellites.
It beeps louder and louder, when you receive some sort of satellite signal, so when you are aimed to the Clarke Belt. Though you don't know which satellite you then receive, you can determine that from there.

Also using the sun for finding the proper azimuth direction works good. I use Satellite Look Angle Calculator for the proper minute-calculation, when the sun has the same azimuth as the wanted satellite/due south direction.

By the way. How do you know your dish has offset of 22 degrees?
Does the dish bracket have an elevation scale?

Greetz,
A33
The dish is 6 ft fiberglass hughesnet the dish has scales on it i tilted it vertical and scale read 22 degrees ,i fabricated and mounted ku lnb and tried to set up similar to what was on it ,question if lnb is too far or too close what would be affects .

Ok nice to know ,took me a week to dial in the 30 inch dish , thanks
Just got it locked and scanned 97w and 99 all is good ,made newbie mistake was using my 30 in dish to transfer el and az but forgot that 6ft dish was 22.3 offset and smaller was 24.5 offset ,considering that correction sats started popping in.irespect all who post on here ,funny how talking clears your head so you can think straight, thanks to all.i love Amsterdam was there in the 1970s a33.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts