Oh how I would like alacart

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
I was thinking and thinking about alacart stuff for the past few weeks. A guy at work brought up something about the pizza boxes and I explained about 4dtv. But how networks was limited. Then I saw another reason for al la cart. The new operah network. I know some ladies would like it. But holy sh*t. In my book another craptastic channel. I think it was on this board somebody said yea everything should be alacart and let the bad networks die. Now for your 2 cents.

Josh (Poky Idaho)

this is why i havent went back to dish. i have twc. they stink beyond being at a sewage plant in the summer! the rates have went through the roof! i want a la cart from dish. they came to my house and said they needed to be at the end of the property where i can lock all channels encrypted on ku. they refused to allow me to use my dish. so i am stuck with twc. if no a la cart i see no reason to allow dish to put up another dish passed my boundary line. if im in my boundary i can do whatever i want. outside of that i better have a good reason.

well that would explain why discovery was sinking money into it.

Now I know why discovery was sinking money into it. But still I have no idea how discovery health did. I have been away from cable and d or d for so long. That the only cable channels I get our the stuff on ku.

Josh

One more year and alacarte programming should be coming to the Canadian providers. Now there would still be limitations that one would have to choose a channel from group A to get a channel from group B. They still have to meet the Cancon requirements. I'm looking forward to no longer having to buy a basic package then add on a group of channels just to get the ones I want.

in the US, the ala cart hearings with a congressional committee and cable operators happen just about every year. I think I first heard of them during the Carter admin. Nothing happens. And the beat goes on.

The only Ala carte in the US was and is on C band. Pizza and Cable don't want it because it would cut into their tall profit. But it's alright to have a 250 channel package and pay for it and watch say 10 channels. Back in the day I would order one channel on the bud for $5.00 a year. Pizza and cable would have a stroke if we were allowed to do that. So let them Vapor Lock! I want ala-cart for everyone.

Isn't it more the fault of the content providers(nbcuniversal,fox,cbsviacom etc) than the service providers?

Conky is right its not the satellite or cable providers, although they do enjoy the bundles, less work for them. The content providers are the ones demanding bundles, they use the high prices they charge to support those channels with lower than normal viewership and ad renuve returns. ABC/Disney/Espn started this mess and they got away with it, now all the others are starting to demand higher fees and must carry on all their channels to fund their less viewed channels. These huge companies lobby heavy in the goverment and make big donations to our goverment representives to keep their bundles and their revenue streams intact.

It's not totally true that the content providers are the fault. There still is alacarte and packages like pick 10 on C band. On pizza or cable its 100+ channels or nothing. Pizza & Cable are making a good profit from this don't ever believe different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)