Bsc422 dms LNB Woes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
Everything was working fine, I've got W5 on a dsr410 and FTA on a geosat. Problem was that I would have to turn one receiver off to use the other.

It was suggested I get the above LNB and now I've spent countless hours trying to figure out why I can't tune it to get everything. I either get V or H but not both.

I don't have a test device that's worth anything so have been trying to figure this out by signal levels on the receivers and of course, trying to get both sides to come in on the dsr410.

Would it be possible to connect the single LNB back, hook it up to the geosat for example, then use it's output to feed the dsr410 and just flip between the two receivers when I want to watch either? Someone also said don't do this but didn't really get into why not.

What in the world can I do to fix this nonsense???

Last edited:
Isn't a BSC421 single output? The DMX242 is dual which i what I would choose.

If you do have a dual model, it's probably just as simple as getting the skew set properly.

I should ask if this is on a motorized or fixed dish.

Sorry, typo, yes, it's a dual, the model is BSC422 c-band LNBF circular and Linear, twin output. Yes, it is motorized.

With the single installed, I can receive everything, but was told by skyvision that it would be better to get a dual lnb. I replaced the single but have had nothing but problems since then.

I simply cannot get everything now, getting less than half the w5 channels and barely any fta. I've messed with the skew for hours on end, never gets both, only one side at a time.

I don't have any switches in the mix, it's a dual cable coming from each output of the LNB and into each receiver.

I'm wondering how you adjusted/setup the LNBF to the dish as in may case I used a small TV and the receiver meter to get the maximum signals from my dual LNBF by just switching channels and adjusting. Did you install the plate for circular, if so remove it for W5.

I'm wondering how you adjusted/setup the LNBF to the dish as in may case I used a small TV and the receiver meter to get the maximum signals from my dual LNBF by just switching channels and adjusting. Did you install the plate for circular, if so remove it for W5.

Skyvision actually helped me install this and it was nothing but trouble, all mysterious no less.

To adjust the lnb, I had my wife on the cell phone while she was telling me the signal level. Worked well :).

But for this dual lnb, no luck, one side or the other but never both. I also had them on the phone last week as I was adjusting skew and after a while, finally gave up.

My best option right now since I don't have a meter would be to put the single back in but I was told not to use both receivers at the same time. Not sure why I guess, because I would use the geosat to position and just output the same connection into the dsr410, that should work just fine?

Last edited:
Man, I have nothing but problems with this stuff. I may end up biting the bullet and going back to traditional tv if I can't get this right.

I put the old LNB back in, connected it to my geosat and the geosat's loop out to the dsr410. That seems to work just fine. Also seems that both sides are back on w5.

That's just confusing.

I'm not sure why your having so much trouble with the two. What FTA model receiver are you using? Also what channels are you missing, are they FTA or 410? Another question is the type dish your using?

The dish is a 6' fortec which while being troublesome, when it works, it works fine. This problem started when I changed the lnb for the dual.

The receiver that isn't getting all of the channels is the dsr410 which was replaced by skyvision during the second try at the installation.
The fta receiver is a geosatpro 100 or such and it's working fine.

The new wiring setup seems to work perfectly. Since the dsr410 doesn't do motor control, there's no fighting between the receivers. When I use the geosat to move the dish, the dsr410 simply loses it's signal and when I move the dish back, it gets it back and things start to work again.

The only problem is the missing channels.

Mike Kohl at skyvision was on the phone with me as I was looking into this problem. He had me tune between 240 and 241 and when he heard that only one was coming in, 240 at this point based on lnb skew, he immediately said it's not getting both sides of the signal. He thought the problem might be the lnb skew but no matter how much time I spent on it, it simply goes from one to the other.
In other words, I can move it and 240 goes away, 241 comes in.

You might go out with a tape measure and see if you can check that the LNBF is centered in the middle of the dish as it just might be cocked and not hitting the center of the dish. Also measure your dish to make sure it's still good. How about some pictures of the dish.

Am I missing somehing ??? dual output C and L ???? I think you need a dual output, L and L .
POP

Yes, I would have to say you missing something. The model LNBF he has is a dual unit and it comes with a single plate to convert it to circular and from what he receiving it would appear not to be installed.

Will the dual output LNBF provide both Horizontal and Vertical if only one receiver is connected? If so, if the cable is swapped between receivers do Horizontal and Vertical channels come in or does the LNBF skew require a 90 degree rotation of the receivers are swapped?

With both receivers connected the the dual output LNBF, will either units receive both Horizontal and Vertical if the opposing receiver is Master Power Switch powered OFF?

Check the voltage on the coax at the LNBF:
1. Check voltage on the DSR410 coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is the voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

2. Check voltage on the GEOSATpro coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is the voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

I have a Fortec 6' dish and find it super easy to point. Perhaps practice for me but one issue I've mentioned previously is how the feed mounting arms are kind of flimsy. I aligned mine by sliding a scrap piece of 2.5"OD PVC pipe through down to the center plate and tweaking it around.

Another issue I've run across is that the LNBF to scalar opening is far from a precise fit on these units. I shim them slightly. I have C2s on my dishes and unless I add hose clamps and a thin piece of aluminum flashing, the fit is like a rooster with socks.

At what starting point is your 0 skew indexed? Try using 9 o'clock for 0 and adjust skew from there and with the FD on the 38 marks on the side if your model LNBF has them. That should get you most of what's in the sky.

First of all, sorry, I've not abandoned the thread, just don't get the notices and been busy. I'll answer each reply in one reply.
---
>You might go out with a tape measure and see if you can check that the LNBF >is centered in the middle of the dish as it just might be cocked and not hitting >the center of the dish. Also measure your dish to make sure it's still good.
>How about some pictures of the dish.

I've not done that yet. There is something that bugs me, since day one of this setup. When the motor moves it, it isn't very solid, it kind of moves back and forth when the motor stops, like it's not tight, but it's definitely tightly installed on the mount and other parts. What happens is that when I'm looking at the signal on w5 for example, I move the dish to tune the signal. Doing so makes the whole screen kinda flicker, then the signal is lost for a fraction of a second, then comes in as it should. I've not yet figured out what the heck is causing that.

---
>Am I missing somehing ??? dual output C and L ???? I think you need
>a dual output, L and L .

Don't know. The dual LNB model was suggested to me by skyvision. It's the same as the single, but has two outputs. Either way, turns out I really don't need that. The single works out just fine. It's the single that I'm back to now and finding the same problem.

---
>Yes, I would have to say you missing something. The model LNBF he has is
>a dual unit and it comes with a single plate to convert it to circular and from >what he receiving it would appear not to be installed.

I was told not to bother with the center plate. So, even though I'm back to the single LNB, are you saying I should in fact have that center plate installed? Dang, I think I might have thrown it out last weekend no less.

---
>Will the dual output LNBF provide both Horizontal and Vertical if only one >receiver is connected? If so, if the cable is swapped between receivers
>do Horizontal and Vertical channels come in or does the LNBF skew require
>a 90 degree rotation of the receivers are swapped?

For example, I switch channels to my geosat, then dish moves to what ever bird I want to watch.
So, first, I'm watching The Weather on AnikF1R 4100 V, comes in just fine.
Now I'm tuned to Satmex5. and I'm watching JCTV on 12180 H.

Is this what you mean? Then I go to antenna settings and go to my AMC18-C setting which moves the dish back to 107 so that I can now switch to my DSR410 receiver. I'm back on that receiver and it's channels, the ones that come in, are back.

Skyvision had me tune to channel 240, which right now, isn't coming in. When I change it to 241, that channel comes in.

>With both receivers connected the the dual output LNBF, will either units >receive both Horizontal and Vertical if the opposing receiver is Master
>Power Switch powered OFF?

The problem was there before I even connected those receivers together. I figured it can't cause any problem since the geosat will move the dish when I change channels and the DSR410 will simply lose it's signal. That seems to be working just fine.

>Check the voltage on the coax at the LNBF:
>1. Check voltage on the DSR410 coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is the
>voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

>2. Check voltage on the GEOSATpro coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is
>the voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

Guess I need to know what that means on W5? On the geosat, the listing shows whether it's V or H but not on the dsr410. So, does that mean switching between 240 and 241 for example?

---
>I have a Fortec 6' dish and find it super easy to point.

I do find that it seems to keep it's settings well. My KU dish drives me nuts, signals are constantly gone as it gets moved in the wind. The fortec definitely gets moved as well but it doesn't lose full signal like the 90cm.

>Perhaps practice for me but one issue I've mentioned previously is how
>the feed mounting arms are kind of flimsy. I aligned mine by sliding a
>scrap piece of 2.5"OD PVC pipe through down to the center plate and
>tweaking it around.

The arms are most definitely flimsy and the bolts get loose after a while in wind. I keep wanting to lock them down but fear doing that for causing other problems. I kinda would like to get a replacement dish, I think mine is messed up.

>At what starting point is your 0 skew indexed? Try using 9 o'clock for 0 and >adjust skew from there and with the FD on the 38 marks on the side if
>your model LNBF has them. That should get you most of what's in the sky.

Skyvision told me to put it around noon. I thought it used to be around 3 but was told that because I've got the FTA as well, to go with noon. Doesn't matter, I've tried all over the dial and nothing seems to make it any better.

As for tuning, I go out there with a 4" TFT screen connected by spar coax to the DSR410 video output. That way, I can see the signal as I'm tuning it. Hasn't helped me in terms of getting all of the channels. Getting a strong signal doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe I should be using a different screen so I could see when I'm getting both sides? That's the problem really, I have no way of knowing that.

Anyone still on this thread? I was hoping to test and give info back. I am hoping to get this dish working right before the cold weather sets in. Can't imagine being out there in Winter trying to fix this thing :).

You have not posted specific voltage testing results from either receiver. Not sure what more assistance I could provide without knowing the results of each test step.

Your reply was very general and it is difficult to troubleshoot if a flow chart of information cannot be established....,

Actually, I had posted a reply question on that so that I could do the test and post the results.
The relevant part is;

>Check the voltage on the coax at the LNBF:
>1. Check voltage on the DSR410 coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is the
>voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

>2. Check voltage on the GEOSATpro coax. Place on Horizontal channel, what is
>the voltage? Place on vertical channel, what is the voltage?

I need to know what that means on W5? On the geosat, the listing shows whether it's V or H that it will be easy to post those results. On the dsr410, I don't know of anything which shows this so was wondering if the same result would be achieved by testing between channels 240 and 241?
Those are the two channels that skyvision had me working between to see if I was getting both sides.

I'm always happy to post what ever information I can so that anyone helping doesn't have to guess.

I do not own a DSR410, so do not know what polarities 240 and 241 are mapped. Maybe hook up a voltage meter and see if the voltage changes when switching between these channels and if so, is it 13VDC - vertical and 18VDC - horizontal (+\- 10%).

If Skyvision indicated that these were opposite polarities, then this is a start. Maybe another op could comment on the polarity for each of these channels. As I recall, the polarities on some of these 4DTV receivers needed to be reversed when used with LNBFs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)