OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

That may be true for now, but VZ is strongly hinting that they will just end all grandfathered plans. AT&T pretty much did it by saying unlimited is 3GB after that you will think that edge is high speed.

Depends on your plan with AT&T. I am now on the 4G LTE Unlimited plan and they are not supposed to start slowing down your speeds until after 5GB of usage.

This Year, I believe. Why would you get any data plan with so little bandwidth? I'll stick with DSL for DL'ing movies and TV shows and use a phone to make calls. Can't do anything with no BW.
I dont do any of that stuff, I stream music, I check security footage, I download files from my email, I send files through my email, I log on to my work computer..etc..etc.

Fair enough, but why do folks pay the same amount for DSL service but with less bandwidth on their phones without complaining about being gypped?

I just read that Verizon will not force you to move.

Basically, if you are fine where you are ... they will leave you alone.

However, if you want a new family shared data plan (coming this summer) ... they say goodbye to unlimited.

I also read that Verizon is offering that if you are willing to pay full retail for your device when you want to replace it, they will let you keep unlimited on those terms too. If you pay the subsidized price however, then say goodbye to unlimited and you will get moved to a tiered data plan.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I've had 3G unlimited for several years. 4G offers absolutely nothing for me, even though I tether my laptop. I don't live or visit in a 4G area.

However, I see the day coming when 4G will replace 3G and 3G will not be available. At that point, I don't think I'll have a choice but to switch to a 4G plan. I remember when we all had to switch to digital off of analog.

How long before 3G won't be available?

I've had 3G unlimited for several years. 4G offers absolutely nothing for me, even though I tether my laptop. I don't live or visit in a 4G area.

However, I see the day coming when 4G will replace 3G and 3G will not be available. At that point, I don't think I'll have a choice but to switch to a 4G plan. I remember when we all had to switch to digital off of analog.

Never unless VZW replaces all 3G devices. Which I don't see happening. The networks will continue to be run side-by-side.

I had grandfathered unlimited data for years until April. Normally, I don't use it enough to worry about it but in April I was traveling for 15 days on iPad LTE and my T-bolt unlimited. I started receiving warning notice that I had reached my limit. I ignored it and continued to use and got my bill. I paid an extra $20 for 2 additional. Gigs on my t-bolt. When I questioned it I was told that I lost my grandfathered service on the account because I had switched all my data plans to the LTE. Of course this doesn't explain that last year one month I had used 6 gb and never got billed. Currently my account doesn't state "unlimited" anymore.

I'm not sure this is contractually legal but this is what they are doing in my case. I now have two devices that should be grandfathered, my t-bolt and my mifi device. My ipad3 was a tiered new service from the beginning.

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

I just read that Verizon will not force you to move.

Basically, if you are fine where you are ... they will leave you alone.

However, if you want a new family shared data plan (coming this summer) ... they say goodbye to unlimited.

I also read that Verizon is offering that if you are willing to pay full retail for your device when you want to replace it, they will let you keep unlimited on those terms too. If you pay the subsidized price however, then say goodbye to unlimited and you will get moved to a tiered data plan.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

so my plan is working :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what their family data plans look like.
People seem to be under the impression that (insert-any-company-here) will introduce new plans that save them money. In order to do that, the company has to make less money .... and that ain't gonna happen !

I would estimate 5-7 years after the last 3G only device is sold. But, once they stop selling 3G only devices they will probably start reclaiming spectrum from 3G and the speeds will get slower and slower. They will still work, but will go way down in speed.

Ahh ... good luck with that one. Don't think they are going to let you :(

As you've found out now, customers can still keep their "unlimited" data plans when getting new phones. Note I did not mention "3G" or "4G". The old plan is "unlimited data plan for smartphones" or something like that. They will try and *trick* you into "upgrading" though and many people have had this happen to them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

As you've found out now, customers can still keep their "unlimited" data plans when getting new phones. Note I did not mention "3G" or "4G". The old plan is "unlimited data plan for smartphones" or something like that. They will try and *trick* you into "upgrading" though and many people have had this happen to them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

But of course the new story is that they are going to end the grand-fathering. :(

But of course the new story is that they are going to end the grand-fathering. :(

ONLY if you upgrade, if you buy used or full price phones you can keep your grandfathered status, hence why I am getting my wife and I on 4g phones now...its just a simple sim switch and we are off and running on a new phone.

ONLY if you upgrade, if you buy used or full price phones you can keep your grandfathered status, hence why I am getting my wife and I on 4g phones now...its just a simple sim switch and we are off and running on a new phone.

We'll see. Even so, full priced phones are NOT cheap. And you know better than I, when that itch comes around. :)

ONLY if you upgrade, if you buy used or full price phones you can keep your grandfathered status...
We'll see. Even so, full priced phones are NOT cheap. And you know better than I, when that itch comes around. :)
We'll only keep our truly unlimited data for a while.... No way will I pay "full price" for a full-blown (new) smartphone. That's just too much money for us.

I like having the option for unlimited data and since we do, we take advantage of it, but usually only in the car (so the laptop, Kindle, iPod touch, etc) can have internet access.

We'll only keep our truly unlimited data for a while.... No way will I pay "full price" for a full-blown (new) smartphone. That's just too much money for us.

I like having the option for unlimited data and since we do, we take advantage of it, but usually only in the car (so the laptop, Kindle, iPod touch, etc) can have internet access.

If you sell your phones on ebay and buy a phone off ebay, you will probably spend 150-200 on the difference...the cost it would be to upgrade.

4G. WHICH 4G? Seems you can call a lot of things 4G that a year or two ago weren't considered 4G. They just redefined the term.

To me, 4G LTE will be the REAL 4G.

And yep, I too expect them to simply stop selling devices with "3G" capability. And a few years later, reclaim the spectrum. I just wonder - How Few?

Arrrggghhh! Why does everyone keep changing their username?

I was sitting here thinking, who is this James, and why does he think he is all high and mighty with the phone whoring?!?!?!?!?!

Duh.....

One question relating to this subject.

Let's say that I now have a 3G smartphone with unlimited plan. If I buy a 4G smartphone off of Craigslist or eBay and activate it in place of my now 3G phone, will I then have 4G LTE service? Or, will I need to "upgrade" my plan and start a new contract to have 4G service?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts