OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T with a grandfathered phone plan inherited from Cingular. 250 minutes/weekday and 1000 minute/weekend, unlimited AT&T calls, all for $30/mo. No texting plan, and I had to add the $15/mo for 200MB data plan to support the iPhone. So, $45/mo for one smartphone (plus taxes and fees). I looked over at the Verizon site at the new plan and threw up in my mouth. $40 for each smartphone BEFORE your usage plan! I had thought about upgrading my family to smartphones and sharing the talk/texts, and data, and came away with a minimum of $170/mo (3 smartphones and $50/mo for the shared 1 GB of data).

We're looking at a pay-as-you-go My-Fi and the $15/week or $60/mo card for use on vacation instead. Everyone has Wi-Fi, but paying all year for cellular access you "need" for the one or two weeks while traveling is nuts. I'm being all old-farty here, but paying nearly $100/mo for satellite TV and $140/mo for land-line, cellular, and DSL is bad enough.

I forget what we spent our money on back in the 1970s. LPs? Hard goods? Now, it's all service fees for intangible goods. Okay, time to head to work to pay for all these "essentials"...

check your bill

people on vzw forums are now indicating its only coming off the data portion, if your discount includes a data discount, as they can be diff then the other one

i was told it was the entire bill. i could have been told incorrect info too.

I'm having trouble understanding the terminology WRT wifi.

I thought "mobile hotspot" is like when you are in a restaurant and they offer wifi, you switch to that as opposed to your LTE connection. Same for when at hoime and you switch to your wireless lan router. This has always been free (included) with all my phones and ipad.

"Wireless wifi tethering" is where you set up your phone or device to be a router for 5-10 IP's that connect to the internet through LTE ( or 3G) This, in the recent past cost a premium charge on the Thunderbolt ( was free in 2011 ) but was free and still is on the ipad3. This is what I question as to whether the share everything plan now offers this free on the Thunderbolt.

I have no idea what "hotspot triggering" is.

First paragraph is simply called "using wifi"

2nd is describing using your phone as a mobile hot spot, something that cost extra unless you were jail broken for the most part prior to the new plans which include it free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Wireless wifi tethering" is where you set up your phone or device to be a router for 5-10 IP's that connect to the internet through LTE ( or 3G) This, in the recent past cost a premium charge on the Thunderbolt ( was free in 2011 ) but was free and still is on the ipad3. This is what I question as to whether the share everything plan now offers this free on the Thunderbolt.

Simple answer is, yes. It will now be free to use on the Thunderbolt with the share everything plan.

Simple answer is, yes. It will now be free to use on the Thunderbolt with the share everything plan.

I suppose if I test it now that I'm on the share everything plan, it will warn me if it will add any monthly charge. I may test it this week end. Thanks for the "simple answer" At least you have the same impression as I initially got.

I suppose if I test it now that I'm on the share everything plan, it will warn me if it will add any monthly charge. I may test it this week end. Thanks for the "simple answer" At least you have the same impression as I initially got.
I tested mine out immediately after swapping and got no such message, so hopefully that will further set your mind at ease. ;)

I do wish it was on the entire bill.

The discount may be smaller but my bill overall is still smaller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)