OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

do i understand this correctly, do i have to turn on my mobile hotspot on my phone to share data between that and my ipad? and will it force me to have to turn wifi off on both?

Just changed my plan! :)

I was surprised they had an option to back date my billing for the past month which saved me $73 immediately. WOW! That was a nice surprise. Now I have more data for my ipad too and while I won't be using texting outbound much, I have been getting more and more inbound which was running $~10 a month plus taxes. I won't be getting billed that charge with this new plan as I get the text included.

I do wonder if tethering on my HTC Thunderbolt is still an extra charge. Anyone know? I'd like to activate it just to have a backup but not if it is an extra charge. I have the ipad for tethering and my wife has her MiFy.

My savings per month will be about $63 when considering the taxes.

I do wonder if tethering on my HTC Thunderbolt is still an extra charge. Anyone know? I'd like to activate it just to have a backup but not if it is an extra charge. I have the ipad for tethering and my wife has her MiFy.
Not sure what you mean here. You would have the charge of the phone being added to the plan of course, but I do not see why tethering would cost more with any particular phone versus another. I would assume it could be used with the included mobile hotspot just like my Iphone.

I just changed us over to it as well. We all were never close to our 2GB limit on our individual plans and according to the lady I spoke with between the 4 smartphones on our plan we used on average 4GB total, but that was with them rounding up to the next GB so I know it's less than that.

We're now on the Share Everything plan with 4GB of shared data and we are saving after taxes and after my discount about $23 a month.

Now this won't cause a series of pro-rated bills since we changed the plan 4 days after the new cycle started will it? Also, this won't extend our contracts will it?

Last edited:
The reason why I was concerned was because the Thunderbolt detailed charges pages shows the Mobile hotspot listed with a $0.00 charge ( because I did not select it as an additional feature ) However, in the expanded list, it shows the "Hot spot triggering" as included. I could not find a definition of what Hot Spot triggering is. If I had selected this in a previous page, I wondered if this would show up as a $29.95 charge like on the old plan.

I believe most of you are calling a Verizon CSR and having them do the change. I used the website and get to see all the details. For something like this, I don't trust the CSR to advise me of every detail.

I saw that as well Don, but I did not give it much thought. It says hotspot included, so I take that as it is.

Now on share everything 6GB, have not even tried the Hot Spot yet. Heading to Seaside, FL tomorrow. Busy packing. Wife's iPhone is setup. That was easy. Bought her Apple Care+ and a $20 package for iCloud storage (she has iPad and iPhone).

We're now on the Share Everything plan with 4GB of shared data and we are saving after taxes and after my discount about $23 a month.

Do they apply the discount to the shareable data plan or the Unlimited talk/text plan? I get a 15% discount from work.

Now on share everything 6GB, have not even tried the Hot Spot yet. Heading to Seaside, FL tomorrow. Busy packing. Wife's iPhone is setup. That was easy. Bought her Apple Care+ and a $20 package for iCloud storage (she has iPad and iPhone).
I tried hotspot last night to see how it compared to my wifi tether. Worked fine.

Do they apply the discount to the shareable data plan or the Unlimited talk/text plan? I get a 15% discount from work.

It's applied to the initial plan, i.e. ours is $70 since we picked the 4GB plan. Mine is 18% so it took off about $13. Then they add the access fees for each phone. So mine is $57 ($70 minus the 18%), plus $40 for each smartphone which we have 4 in our family, plus tax.

Thanks Neutron and iceturkee! Neutron is right, it's on the data plan you choose, I tried it last night and I get a $10.50 discount for the 4 GB plan ($70). I was getting $21 discount before. :(

I'm having trouble understanding the terminology WRT wifi.

I thought "mobile hotspot" is like when you are in a restaurant and they offer wifi, you switch to that as opposed to your LTE connection. Same for when at hoime and you switch to your wireless lan router. This has always been free (included) with all my phones and ipad.

"Wireless wifi tethering" is where you set up your phone or device to be a router for 5-10 IP's that connect to the internet through LTE ( or 3G) This, in the recent past cost a premium charge on the Thunderbolt ( was free in 2011 ) but was free and still is on the ipad3. This is what I question as to whether the share everything plan now offers this free on the Thunderbolt.

I have no idea what "hotspot triggering" is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)