OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

This doesn't surprise me. But at least they're tying it to the move from 3G to LTE (which is still under the consumer's control). It would be worse if they mandated that everyone be migrated to a tiered plan by a certain date. I expect that ATT won't be far behind on this.
Earlier in the year, I was immensely surprised that ATT let me keep my unlimited iPad plan when converting to a LTE iPad. I was certain they'd force a migration to a tiered data plan. Hopefully a lot of people will be able to migrate to LTE prior to this mandatory cut over date for LTE upgrades.

All plans now however are tiered. There are no more unlimited plans. So getting a 4G phone now will not make a difference.

Now, I purchased my T-Bolt (4G - LTE based) last July to nab the unlimited while it still existed. So currently I have unlimited LTE. If I have to lose that ... it will be a serious drag.

All plans now however are tiered. There are no more unlimited plans. So getting a 4G phone now will not make a difference.

Now, I purchased my T-Bolt (4G - LTE based) last July to nab the unlimited while it still existed. So currently I have unlimited LTE. If I have to lose that ... it will be a serious drag.
we are grandfathered in unlimited data on our account...I will try and slip her in with unlimited 4g data before this takes effect...and it dosent matter RIGHT NOW at least whether its 3g or 4g...when this takes effect though everyone that has 3g if I am reading this correctly will be forced to move to shared data.

Ahh ... good luck with that one. Don't think they are going to let you :(

Its done :) Just bought a rezound off someone, will be here friday, and ordered a 4g lte sim card and made sure her unlimited data stayed...he said I might have to do it again when the Card arrives and we actually activate the phone, but he noted the account and we will still have unlimited data :)

I don't think it will matter. You'll get your unlimited data now, but when they pull the plug, they pull the plug.

I like Gizmodo's headline

Verizon to Kill Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans. This Is Bullsh!t.

:)

Heres my thought process, even if they do kick me off of "unlimited" then I turn to ebay and craigslist and get new phones when I need them...and if I have a 4G sim card then I just plug and play in the new phone...if my wifes regular sim needs to be trimmed to a micro so be it...I hope people are beginning to see how important unlimited data is to me..even if I only use 2-3 gigs a month, there will be that one month I use 5...plus I dont like being tied down with no options.

stuart628 said:
Its done :) Just bought a rezound off someone, will be here friday, and ordered a 4g lte sim card and made sure her unlimited data stayed...he said I might have to do it again when the Card arrives and we actually activate the phone, but he noted the account and we will still have unlimited data :)

Wow, you rock!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

That may be true for now, but VZ is strongly hinting that they will just end all grandfathered plans. AT&T pretty much did it by saying unlimited is 3GB after that you will think that edge is high speed.

Well good bye 3G and 4G unlimited unless you like to pay a lot... DailyTech - Quick Note: Verizon Wireless Clarifies Stance on Unlimited LTE Data

Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.
When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.
Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.
The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

So what's the takeaway from all of this? Unlimited data for most customers is dead. The only way to keep your grandfathered data plan is to buy a new smartphone at full cost instead of the subsidized pricing that most Americans take advantage of when signing a new two-year contract.

So you can either pay an extra 300-500 more for a smart phone upgrade at full MSRP rather than the $99-$299 subsidized price and keep your grandfathered status or take the subsidy and try not to have $300-500 in overages for the 2 year life of the contract.

I believe most will drop the unlimited...

We have the limited data plan on both of our 4S's and quite honestly as much as I use my phone on the 3G side I have only hit 1GB once. Usually it's under that every month.

I'm looking forward to seeing what their family data plans look like.

I am usually between 1 and 2gb, my wife is usually around 0.5gb per month. During the summer I may go to 3gb/month because I stream baseball games through my MLB.TV APP

Well good bye 3G and 4G unlimited unless you like to pay a lot... DailyTech - Quick Note: Verizon Wireless Clarifies Stance on Unlimited LTE Data

So you can either pay an extra 300-500 more for a smart phone upgrade at full MSRP rather than the $99-$299 subsidized price and keep your grandfathered status or take the subsidy and try not to have $300-500 in overages for the 2 year life of the contract.

I believe most will drop the unlimited...

yep as of right now I will not buy another subsidized phone....I have been getting used phones this long...I have had no problem...I will just sell my galaxy nexus and buy one later on...and still only put out 250 at most, same as most people pay for a new phone.

edit: Reason being this, I used 2.7 gigs last month of data, there are going to be months I use 3...maybe 4...I NEVER go over 5 NEVER abuse the system, have been with verizon for over 10 years...have my company with them that has 6 different lines....please dont take my unlimited plan away when you are making more money then you ever have and are not hurting in the least...also with LTE data is more cost efficent for them...remember also it starts with unlimited plans, where does it go from there? especially when everything is turning into a streaming business model...netflix, ps3, 360, vudu, apple, google..they all want you to stream their content, while Verizon wants to take away that ability, or severely impact it!

Last edited:
yep as of right now I will not buy another subsidized phone....I have been getting used phones this long...I have had no problem...I will just sell my galaxy nexus and buy one later on...and still only put out 250 at most, same as most people pay for a new phone.

VZ is saving 150-200/year on you by not having to pay for your phone upgrades. Of course there still is the possibility that in a few years they could have so few grandfathered left that they simply decide to discontinue it for everyone.

My wife has a t-bolt with LTE and unlimited on Verizon.

I will try to keep her on that phone as long as I can.

With apps, there is not much now to convince me to upgrade to new hardware.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

This Year, I believe. Why would you get any data plan with so little bandwidth? I'll stick with DSL for DL'ing movies and TV shows and use a phone to make calls. Can't do anything with no BW.

This Year, I believe. Why would you get any data plan with so little bandwidth? I'll stick with DSL for DL'ing movies and TV shows and use a phone to make calls. Can't do anything with no BW.

That isn't an option when you aren't home or at the office and even at the office they block a lot of stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)