OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

There is NO "3G data plan" or "4G data plan" from Verizon, at least not if you currently have an "older" data plan. Since you have an unlimited plan, you fall in that category. For you, NOTHING will change except for your phone and the speed that you can browse at. When you activate your phone (I believe you STILL have to call in to activate the SIM), do NOT let them "change" or "upgrade" your data plan. Don't let them scare you into thinking you have to.

My bill shows this:

Nationwide Talk Share 700

Email & Web Unlimited
$29.99 monthly access charge
Unlimited monthly kilobyte
No reference to 3G, 4G, LTE, etc

Agreed, but the ENTIRE original article suggests that the grandfathering is going away for everybody, does not matter if you don't change the plan. I think that's the entire point - and if they do that, then it will be for all of us. :(

A VZW exec clarified it to state that it won't go away, but there will be restrictions, i.e. no subsidized phone upgrade costs if you insist on keeping unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

A VZW exec clarified it to state that it won't go away, but there will be restrictions, i.e. no subsidized phone upgrade costs if you insist on keeping unlimited data.

I'm pretty sure it's just no subsidized upgrades if you are going from a 3G to a 4G phone...

So, when iPhone next comes out, this means you can keep your unlimited data, but pay $600 for the phone instead of $200? Or pay $200 and not get the $50 discount for an upgrade? I guess I am asking to have subsidized upgrade defined. If I have to pay $600 for each iPhone on my plan, i am not sure the "unlimited" data is worth it.

So, when iPhone next comes out, this means you can keep your unlimited data, but pay $600 for the phone instead of $200? Or pay $200 and not get the $50 discount for an upgrade? I guess I am asking to have subsidized upgrade defined. If I have to pay $600 for each iPhone on my plan, i am not sure the "unlimited" data is worth it.

That would be $600+ for each iPhone on your plan. I would have to think that you would easily pay for a years worth of overages for the pricing it will be to upgrade your device. I guess if you don't want a new device keeping unlimited may be worth it but not if you are paying that much per phone.

I'm pretty sure it's just no subsidized upgrades if you are going from a 3G to a 4G phone...
I doubt that... I already have (2) 4G phones and truly unlimited data plans on both. You're saying our next upgrades will be available subsidized and get to keep unlimited data. Not gonna happen, IMO.

msmith198025 said:
Arrrggghhh! Why does everyone keep changing their username?

I was sitting here thinking, who is this James, and why does he think he is all high and mighty with the phone whoring?!?!?!?!?!

Duh.....

Shall you be next? :).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Unlimited is pretty much an impossible business model in the long run, unless some restrictions apply. I wonder how long Sprint can really hold out? There are always going to be abusers that tether their entire house and try to watch netflix on all the TVs in the house. Get a couple of them on the same tower and havoc ensues.

The problem is that the proposed solutions are super bad. $10/GB is really outrageous. It takes no account of time of day, usage of towers, etc. It should be cheaper during low usage hours. $1/GB would be much more in line and encourage growth in sector, and take care of those that try to just have wireless tethering run their computer with torrents.

WHen they created unlimited data plans, people were not using phones for what they are using today. Its a no-win situation for them.

It will certainly force folks to double think why they feel they need to upgrade their phone.

For example:

Do I really need a larger screen?
Do I really need a quad core phone versus my dual?
Do I really need HDMI out?

Case and point. I have an iPhone 4. The 5 or whatever they are going to call it is due out this fall. I was thinking of just skipping the 2012 version and waiting till 2013. I figure all I need it for is email and the odd app anyway. I got myself a new iPad, and hence, the need for using apps on my cell phone has decreased quite a bit. I may spend $20 on a new battery, but that's it. I don't need LTE. I don't need SIRI. The only thing that really temps me is the camera that the 4S has. That may be enough to tempt me to get the 2012 version.

Same thing with my wife's t-bolt. She does not need more cores,, or a larger screen, or better graphics. I will try to keep her on that hone for as long as a can. Years if I can get away with it. I anticipate replacing the battery, but I'll take that over losing her unlimited data. For more cores and a bigger screen, I'll go tablet before I go a new phone for her.

Sent from my new iPad using SatelliteGuys

WHen they created unlimited data plans, people were not using phones for what they are using today. Its a no-win situation for them.
Hehe, yeap, offer an add-on that people barely used ! Easy (free!) money for VZW ! Imagine how long it would take to hit, say 5gb/month, on 3G speeds.

it can be done in a weekend with no problem
Unless you are tethering and streaming video all weekend, I do not see how, based solely on my personal experience.

Utilizing wifi in addition to 3g, I rarely go over a gig and a half.

Curious, what are your usage patterns?

Unless you are tethering and streaming video all weekend, I do not see how, based solely on my personal experience.

I use on average 3gig per month. I am on 4G during work hours and at home I am on 3G. I use it mostly away from home since I have computers and a tablet at home.

I use on average 3gig per month. I am on 4G during work hours and at home I am on 3G. I use it mostly away from home since I have computers and a tablet at home.
Ive used that much, but it is rare, as I have other options to get online most times. I just cant see using 5gb on a small screen easily, much less over a weekends time. lol

Ive used that much, but it is rare, as I have other options to get online most times. I just cant see using 5gb on a small screen easily, much less over a weekends time. lol

Most websites, including all sports sites, are blocked at work. I listen to a lot of podcasts at work too.

stream music, video ect
no wifi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)